Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43

Author Topic: But You Still Gotta Catch 'Em All - Succession Pokemon Fortress of Goldsilver  (Read 75326 times)

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
  • My sole interest is uncovering the truth!
    • View Profile
Re: But You Still Gotta Catch 'Em All - Succession Pokemon Fortress of Goldsilver
« Reply #570 on: February 28, 2018, 10:03:35 pm »

I'm trying REALLY hard to fortify GoldSilver for that moment, so hopefully when it actually does happen we aren't totally screwed. Also, does anyone mind if I use a whimsicott as an arena beast?
I believe in you, Petrel. Let's keep this fort alive until we actually plunge into HFS and it all goes to shit unless we have a heavily fortified underground as well.

And aww, Paddywagon Man. Thank you.

I missed you guys. :-[

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Re: But You Still Gotta Catch 'Em All - Succession Pokemon Fortress of Goldsilver
« Reply #571 on: February 28, 2018, 10:09:57 pm »

Speaking of which, we've got adamantine but I can't find the vein. Could any body help direct me to it so I can fortify the surrounding area?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

Speaking of which, we've got adamantine but I can't find the vein. Could any body help direct me to it so I can fortify the surrounding area?
I think I put a note on it, didn't I? It's, let's see...

Ah, I see I didn't. Sorry, I kind of did a crap job on my turn, heh. If you go to the broad flat level of the lowest cave, where the lowest cave doors come out - three z-levels above F2, level 92 - you'll see a downward staircase in the upper left cavern, and two layers of totally carved-out vein beneath that. The reason you can't find the vein is, it turns out, because the last staircase missed it and sticks into a single tile of orthoclase instead. For some reason the floors show as phyllite in the mined area instead of adamantine, too — you can fix that by running fixveins in dfhack, which is probably a good idea and I'm surprised I didn't do it before because I'm usually pretty OCD about that. Well, I guess that goes back to the second sentence of this paragraph again!

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've seen way too many ampharoses crawling around with broken legs, I have ordered a mass healing of all pokemon.

It also appears that despite being composed entirely of magma, slugma can rot and fill the halls with miasma. I would think the workers would complain, but considering they have to dredge through the body of the last forgotten beast to even get to that depth I think they're kinda used to it.

More migrants. We don't actually need more miners, so unless any of these migrants have any redeemable skills they're either going straight into the military or to smelting.
Talented gem setter, to the smelter.
Novice animal trainer, pick up whatever weapon you like. Aren't you lucky, you get to be captain of the fort's newest squad!

Someone brought a mudkip, he can just do what he wants.
     Someone else brought a bayleef, I'm going to have to pasture him. He'll double as a guard dog because I'm going to pasture him right next to the bridge leading off of the moat.
     High master miller, yes I know you're a very skilled, yes I know that that makes you a very valuable asset to the fort, because of this I'm giving you a nice clean uniform and a firm boot to the pants to push you into the military.
A stray exploud, useless.
An adequate animal dissector, I hope some of those skills will cross professions when I ask you to bisect elves.
Talented gem cutter, you also happen to be a competent ambusher you say? Well now you're just asking to be put into the army.
     Accomplished armorsmith and proficient wound dresser, you might be the first person of value to actually migrate here. Just go do what you know how to do.
Talented spinner, to the smelter with you.
     Novice bone carver, do you have any other redeeming features? You're also an adequate comedian? Alright, tell me a joke then... I don't know, why did the torchic cross the road?... Get your behind up to the barracks before I throw you into the moat.

Hmm, that seems to be it. I'll wait and see if these new guys can actually find any weapons, then I'll tell the weaponsmiths to make whatever they think would be effective.

Someone told me today to take a closer look at the statues in my room, I guess I might as well.

Wooooooooow. And to think I never actually noticed that. Well, these statues won't do, I don't know what kind of 'message' someone's trying to send, but I'm getting some better statues.

Turns out we have a lot less gold than I thought we did, this will not do. I planned out the blueprints for my statues to encompass gold, they will not work with a lesser metal. Time to look around to see if anyone has missed a vein.

I've been informed that apparently it takes 3 bars to make a statue, and not 2. Instead of just putting the blue prints aside for later use, the metalsmith instead threw them into the fire... I guess I'll have to deal with silver, because adamantine is too useful for such a petty thing as statues.

Luckily, I drew a rendition of each blueprint on my arm before I gave them to the metalsmith, so it wasn't that hard to draw new ones. But I swear, if he destroys them again I'm putting him on moat cleaning duty.

Somebody ran down into the fort screaming that there was a whimsicott outside. 10 seconds later I'm up on the surface to find what looks like a living ball of cotton in one of our cages. Oh well, one more arena beast for later.

It seems that I may have accidentally created a secondary base of operations with my cavern bunker, as a lot of workers have taken to eating and sleeping down there instead of using the facilities provided in the fortress proper. Because of this I am now having the main dining room smoother over.

Over an entire season of making bins at full tilt, and we still don't have enough for even the main stockpile, leaving the bar stockpile overcluttered. These idiots won't even stack the bars on top of each other, they just lay them flat on the ground.

It also turns out the three pokemon centers I had built have been running nonstop, but the idiots manning them have neglected to grab any pokemon to fill them with. The one station that has a pokemon in it is a war ampharos who has been getting healed every ten seconds for the past three weeks.

To remedy this I'm having another pokemon center built in the claydol den, because they need healing the most.

Good for them.

The main dining room has been smoothed over, and I have decided to tell the engravers to smooth over the rest of the level, at a low priority of course. Also, I'm proud to say that my new statues are done and are being proudly presented in my room.

I will admit that they're pretty low quality, but they will do. Now, to begin work on the arena...

It's going to be right next to my room (obviously), and the main fighting area will extend down three levels.

The top layer will be where all the levers and bridges are operated. The second layer will be the main viewing area. And the third layer will be the fighting floor, with the addition of the airlocks and cleaning systems. I'm going to mine out the main areas first before I start experimenting with the more touchy mechanics, I don't want this project to end up a continuous disaster like the moat. I am also very fortunate that the drinking water is located right next to the arena, for I will build a secondary reservoir with the intention of emptying this one on top of what is left of the fighters after a match. This will help to clean out the blood as well as possibly drowning anyone who's left alive.

What!? Autumn already? This can't be, I must have enough time to finish my arena. I MUST!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 05:21:01 pm by MottledPetrel »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Knowing my luck we actually have one of those. Guess I'll just have to disassemble the cage and then set it back up again to get rid of any existing mechanisms...

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile

*Obligatory Elfen Lied reference to Mega Medicham's vectors extra arms*
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
  • My sole interest is uncovering the truth!
    • View Profile

We still have gang wars? I'm still just happy over here snuggling all of my Mimikyus.

IF I HAD ANY (do I?)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You don't have any mimikyus, nor have I seen any.

Would anyone be opposed to me using the captured prisoner and a few untamed pokemon for unethical arena testing?

Paddywagon Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do it Mottled Petrel! Do it!

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, get ready for another fucking brutal update guys.

I'm expecting high casualties and a lot of heart break.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 04:16:44 pm by MottledPetrel »

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, this definitely could have gone better. I worked so hard on the moat only to realize that I have no real way of fighting over the moat.
---
     And so begins another beautiful day working on the soon to be arena. The pidgeys are chirping in the trees, the caterpie are rustling around in the trees, a vile force of darkness has appeared over the hills...

Welp, lets see if my fortifications will do us any good, because I realize now that I probably should have removed the ramps leading into and out of the moat. All fighters to the southern bridge, archers stand guard at the northern edge of the area inside the moat to see if you can pick some of the goblins off as they come by. Speaking of which...

It seems that there is a traitor within their mix. Oh well, we'll show him some dwarven justice when he gets close enough. As the fighters file out to their positions there are 11 enemies, surely to grow as the fight progresses.

Yup, now we're up to 15, 21, 26, man, they're all going to fall into the river if they keep crowding together like they are.

31 goblins and they still have made no attempt to advance, maybe I'll have the marksdwarves station at the northwest corner of the moat instead to see if they can entice them a little. 43 goblins and the first poor sucker has wandered into a cage, which reminds me that I should probably pull the moat lever before any goblins learn that we actually have a bridge.

The marksdwarves seemed to have taken my last command as 'go hide in the main building', so I've moved them to the top of the tower that has the fortifications. I can only imagine that this room was never built to actually see combat, but it's going to be put to the test pretty soon. 51 goblins and we've only just caught our second one in a cage, this is going to be a hard fought battle with only 30-ish of our own, maybe only half of which are actually competent with their weapon.

58 goblins and they are only now beginning to trickle to the east over the literal mound of dead goblins that the citizens have yet to throw into the pit, presumably to make it around the moat.

We've caught a total of four now, but it seems that they're still pouring over the hills. Okay, the bridges are up, so I'm going to undo the burrows for a few minutes so that I can bring some of the hundreds of stray joltik we have to the surface to aid our forces.

And by joltik it more turned into 'move every pokemon that isn't a pet to the surface', I expect massive casualties.

One of our marksdwarves finally gets within reach of the goblins, only to have a massive volley of bolts shot his way.

The marksdwarf has yet to be hit, and will hopefully exhaust the ammo of the enemy before he fires his own.

Unfortunately, many of the bolts fly downstream into the waiting mob of our fighters. Most of them miss, but Azalea is pegged in the chest with a bolt. It bounces harmlessly off of his armor, which for some reason causes him to enter a martial trance. I order the fighters to wait indoors until the enemy is close enough to engage. The lone marksdwarf also takes a few body hits, bruising a lung and his guts. He slouches over to vomit amidst the storm of bolts.

While twiddling my thumbs waiting for something to happen I notice that Beirus has an infection on his left wrist.

Poor sap, he probably won't last until the end of the month.

Another fighter has a bolt bounce off of their chest, only to be put into a martial trance as well.

Why won't you idiots just wait inside until you're needed? Our entire battle formation has now devolved into the hokey pokey as the fighters attempt to dodge the hail of bolts, maybe I should build some fortifications around the moat once this is over. Luckily the obscene amount of cage traps I had built around the moat are coming in handy. Of the 58 invaders currently around the fort, 11 of them are caged, and we only have 7 active crossbow/bow goblins skulking around.

A poor Decidueye who got stuck on the wrong side of the moat is now getting bashed to pieces by a mace goblin.

The archers, I mean, the singular marksdwarf that's doing a fucking Gaelic river dance in bullet hell of goblin arrows, still refuse to return fire. Why, I don't know, but it's gotten to the point where I'm just going to lower the bridge once most of the ranged goblins have been captured. So far our only casualties are that decidueye, a stray joltik, and a war ampharos that is probably going to die from the bolt currently lodged firmly in his jugular. I'm not a pokemon anatomy expert, but I would imagine the fountain of lifeblood exploding from his neck isn't a good sign. Along with that about half our fighting force is outside the front gait in various martial trance poses, busily swatting arrows out of the air with the tips of their beards. It seems that many of them are also engaged in a dance battle circle. A few civilians have made an attempt to follow my order to bring more pokemon to the surface, but most of them now lay on the ground throwing up from the sunlight. The remaining ones are poppin' and lockin' through the arrow storm like a leaf doing a martial trance break-dance on the wind.

The plant types pastured by the southern gate have been making a valiant attempt at fending off the goblins wandering around that part of the moat, shooting leaves at anything that moves. Many of them have bolts sticking out of them like pins in a celluostic pincushion, and one venusaur is in a fetal position in the corner of the building crying hysterically. "GET UP YOU FUCKING PANSY AND FIGHT FOR YOUR PEOPLE! I bellowed at it, only succeeding in causing the venusaur to soil itself and cry harder.

Add a stray leafeon to that list of dead, but it managed to kill a bowgoblin before it went down.

Somehow, we're down to only 50 goblins, 18 of which are caged, and the remaining goblins seem to have run out of arrows, maybe. Welp, we aren't going to rid ourselves of this problem just standing here. Alright guys, everyone on the southern bridge, send a runner to lower it, I tire of this charade.

It seems that I spoke too soon, because despite out front yard being turned into an arrow collector's expo some of the bowgoblins still have arrows and are now firing on our formation. In response to this about three more dwarves entered a martial trance.

Another stray leafeon has died defending it's home, I'll be sure to cremate it in my fire place to warm up my room, I mean, to send it to Valhalla. Fortunately, about every goblin on the southern line has most of its limbs broken from the constant rain of leaves.

Right as the bridges are lowered a macegoblin falls into the water to the east. Instead of swimming back he decides to swim across instead.

The military quickly reduce him to a red smear on the grass in their arrow fueled martial trance blood lust.

As I order the fighters across the bridge, the marksdwarf that was using the light reflected off the perpetual swarm of goblin arrows as rave lighting for his one man dance moshpit for about the entire fucking battle without shooting a single bolt finally fires a bolt at the enemies as he advances, a wooden bolt that doesn't even scratch the goblin's armor.

The fighters have no problem slicing anything that moved across the bridge into more skin confettii for their martial trance rave, but behind them a stray fire type decides to use a fire attack over them...

A leafeon is the first to be incinerated, with the flames slowly catching up to a crippled greninja.

A long line of excessively slow dwarves try to skirt past the fire in their attempt to cross the bridge. A particular animal trainer isn't fast enough, and is trapped behind the wall of fire.

Apparently, said roaring inferno was enough to cause every still living, not caged goblin to run back the way they came, over the mound of their long dead to the north.

I hope you guys like waiting outside, because it's going to be a while until this fire dies down enough for you to pass.

And by wait, it seems that half the people outside heard 'try to rush past the fire and go inside', too bad the fire is now inside as well, hopefully it will at least burn up all the vomit and dead elves.

Our plum wood bridge has caught on fire with a number of things asleep on it, and several dwarves have fallen asleep directly in line of the fire.

You know what guys, most of our competent fighters are asleep directly in the way of the fire, so if you want to try to run inside, be my guest. That order was answered with a number of dwarves trying to run past the fire, then falling asleep before they could get out of danger. The rest of the fighters just staid put on the wrong side of the river.

One of the sleepers happened to be Paddywagonman, who is now a cloud of delicate, murderous ash floating into the heavens. He's dead as fuck, in case anyone needed me to specify. You know, I might as well look at the list of 'missing' inhabitants while I'm waiting for the fire to die down.

Let's see, we're currently missing Paddywagonman, a stray totodile, a granbull, Vutok the lye maker, Tekkud the dyer, Ushrir the hunter, a luxray, a gengar (probably the one who died during the fight with the forgotten beast), a Quilladin (who I can see from where I'm standing, is a pool of gore at the bottom of the trash pit on the surface), a haxorus, and Thob the potash maker. Hopefully these guys will wake up before I have to increase this list.

I've ordered another bridge made, because the last one has finally collapsed into a smoldering heap into the moat, this bridge will be made out of clay.

It seems that someone else has burned to death in their sleep, Azalea is now deader than dead because he couldn't stay awake for five more fucking seconds so he could have at least passed out on a stone floor away from the fire.

The fire has cleared enough for the fighters to return home over the secondary bridge, and people are now outside 'finding' that the people who walked straight through the fire are not as okay as they thought they were. What a shame, the fire didn't even burn the bodies that were already laying outside.

And after all this, what is the first thing that the civilians do you might ask? They go out to start reloading cage traps, walking over the wounded and dying still out in the field. And I don't mean just one or two, at least 15 civilians shoved their way to the surface with cages in their hands the second I authorized movement on the surface. God, I've made an impact on the people of this place, and I only intend to do more from here on out.
---
I was going to try some live arena testing today, but then this happened.

On the bright side, we've now got more arena fighters than I could ever hope for. I'd appreciate it if you guys could start thinking up some potential matches we could put together, and if someone could remind me of the weird key combinations I have to do to get workers to remove the items from a caged goblin that would be great.

I also left the images big so people could see the details of the carnage, if you want them smaller I can make them smaller.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 07:02:13 pm by MottledPetrel »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If the goblins are unarmed, I feel massacring a few would be cathartic for my dwarf. If nothing else, it'll be like a hospice until he dies of infection.

If my dwarf dies, I'd like a soap statue of him and his Pokemon for a memorial.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

>Paddywagon Man
>5 turns to become baroness
>1 turn to become fire

Paddywagon Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know! It's happened twice now!
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43