Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 43

Author Topic: But You Still Gotta Catch 'Em All - Succession Pokemon Fortress of Goldsilver  (Read 74390 times)

AernJardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: But You Still Gotta Catch 'Em All - Succession Pokemon Fortress of Goldsilver
« Reply #390 on: December 06, 2017, 04:08:06 am »

A random carpenter came to me and told me he henceforth wanted to be called AernJardos. Apparently, in his spare time, he was also the fort's second-best weaver, and these two facts were somehow related, I guess? Well, it's none of my problem. On the same day, unrelatedly(?), I happened to walk by the battle site and realised that the trees were absolutely full of goblin teeth. I think I also saw a couple of arms hanging up in there. It really helped with the ambiance.

On the wind drifts a cheerful melody of a dwarf hard at work.

Deck the boughs with teeth of ivory
Fa la la la la la la la
Tis the season to be bloody
Fa la la la la la la la

Don we now our steel apparel
Fa la la la la la la la
Bashing skulls of goblins feral
Fa la la la la la la la

See the splattered ground before us
Fa la la la la la la la
Listen to their shrieking chorus
Fa la la la la la la la

Bravely guard us Spin and Nopal
Fa la la la la la la la
On your watch we shall not fall
Fa la la la la la la la

Frolic gaily good Mareep
Fa la la la la la la la
Garchomps now in quiet sleep
Fa la la la la la la la

Loot the corpses all together
Fa la la la la la la la
Heedless of the sun and weather
Fa la la la la la la la!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: But You Still Gotta Catch 'Em All - Succession Pokemon Fortress of Goldsilver
« Reply #391 on: December 06, 2017, 08:09:09 am »

A random carpenter came to me and told me he henceforth wanted to be called AernJardos. Apparently, in his spare time, he was also the fort's second-best weaver, and these two facts were somehow related, I guess? Well, it's none of my problem. On the same day, unrelatedly(?), I happened to walk by the battle site and realised that the trees were absolutely full of goblin teeth. I think I also saw a couple of arms hanging up in there. It really helped with the ambiance.

On the wind drifts a cheerful melody of a dwarf hard at work.

Deck the boughs with teeth of ivory
Fa la la la la la la la
Tis the season to be bloody
Fa la la la la la la la

Don we now our steel apparel
Fa la la la la la la la
Bashing skulls of goblins feral
Fa la la la la la la la

See the splattered ground before us
Fa la la la la la la la
Listen to their shrieking chorus
Fa la la la la la la la

Bravely guard us Spin and Nopal
Fa la la la la la la la
On your watch we shall not fall
Fa la la la la la la la

Frolic gaily good Mareep
Fa la la la la la la la
Garchomps now in quiet sleep
Fa la la la la la la la

Loot the corpses all together
Fa la la la la la la la
Heedless of the sun and weather
Fa la la la la la la la!

Welcome to fucking Dwarf Fortress, hope you like Goblin Christmas.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 06, 2017, 10:41:03 am »

* Maximum Spin notes: AernJardos gets the Jigglypuff

AernJardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 06, 2017, 12:24:47 pm »

Hahahah! Yesssss... excellent.
AernJardos looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!

Unexpected but completely awesome. My coffee morning ale has not kicked in yet and I keep giggling over the idea of this silly bouncy round pink thing just dripping with blood and gore as it follows me around, the two of us happily singing along. Oh sure, he's clean now, just wait until the next siege. Muahahahah.

Thanks Maximum!

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
  • My sole interest is uncovering the truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 06, 2017, 02:55:19 pm »

AernJardos, that Dwarf Christmas carol brought a tear to my eye. I'm... I'm so filled with holiday spirit.

Even I, the scribe who never goes outside, want to go slaughter goblins for Christmas cheer! Who's with me!? [holding up rock bindings]

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 06, 2017, 03:38:37 pm »

I say that AernJardos and his Jigglypuff should be the GoldSilver's performers.

Nopal

« Reply #396 on: December 06, 2017, 05:20:47 pm »

<Deleted>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 10:06:21 pm by Nopal »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 07, 2017, 04:16:00 am »

Great update and great song, guys!
May I ask which body part/s of my dwarf got screwed in the battle?

Pretty much your entire left side, particularly the leg (which is smashed open to the bone).

ETA: 94 dwarves is so few
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:28:30 am by Maximum Spin »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 07, 2017, 03:05:49 pm »

Double-posting because update

Excerpts from A Million Little Pichus: A Memoir, by Maximum Spin Valecrafts:

Three of the elves' Pokémon were claimed in no time. RedMageCole wanted the Cranidos and Birdy the Trumbeak; these are things I am more than happy to provide to my friends. And MottledPetrel came to me and asked me for a Gliscor. MottledPetrel, with his army of Joltik, I had sought to conclude business with for some time, and I was glad to see him come to me with a request. So I told him, "some day, and this day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. Until that day, accept this Gliscor as a gift on the day of my Garchomps' evolution." He nodded and scurried off with his new Gliscor.

Before the elves left, though, I chanced upon AernJardos singing raucously in the tavern, and I sharply informed him that he would be assigned a Jigglypuff for his disorderly behaviour. He didn't seem to appreciate the gravity of the punishment. After purchasing these four Pokémon, Goldsilver's tradeable stock was exhausted, and the elves sent on their way.

I spent some time contemplating ways to expand our export capacity, with an eye to the benefits that could accrue to my own business interests if we become exporters of wool or Combee products. Unfortunately, the latter case would take some time, since my precious Combee hives had all been destroyed at some previous time and I was in still in the process of rebuilding them, but the Mareep shearing was progressing apace under the watchful eye of my protégé bloop_bleep. As I considered these things and others, my wandering brought me back to the site of the recent battle, and I noticed something that interrupted my train of thought with a bout of laughter: there, in a murky pool now more blood than water, several goblins were sleeping with the fishes.

While in the midst of training RedMageCole's new Cranidos (under new fortress regulations dictating that all capable pokémon be trained for hunting or defense), a leatherworker was suddenly possessed by some unknown force, possibly a Darkrai, and charged off to the leatherworks floor. This was mildly dispiriting, since it suggested that the first artefact of my reign would most likely be pointless. Well, you can't win them all. I made a mental note to have the worker dumped in the goblin pond if the artefact disappointed me.

Then I stopped by the shearing station, which was in the process of being expanded. bloop_bleep, overseeing the construction, took a moment to ask me something strange about aliens and space and when I was going to have time to "update" something. I smiled blandly and responded "don't worry, overseeing Goldsilver comes first but there will be plenty of time for that afterward." bloop_bleep is a fine shearer, but he has always seemed a little odd sometimes. All that static from the Mareep wool might not be so good for the brain.

Around that same time, I had word that a few new migrants had just arrived to our beautiful fortress, and it seems they took the scenic route through the still-bloody battlefield, since every one of them was standing around crying about death when I got there. Obviously useless, the lot of them. I told them to stop shaming their families, but that just made them cry harder. At least they brought some Pokémon: a Golbat, a Gogoat, a Delphox, a Chesnaught, a Venusaur, and a Persian. No breeding pairs of anything, of course; that would have been dangerously close to being useful.

Considering the new arrivals, I decided to ask FirePheonix11 to draw up a list of all the unclaimed Pokémon in the fort, or at least all the ones we know about. I even resisted the urge to cross off all the Gabite and Flaaffy before posting it next to one of the glorious statues I'd commissioned for the tavern.

Those statues were after a design I'd created in order to remind the dwarves of Goldsilver about their ever-present silent protectors. I had been making a point to install them wherever I felt the decor needed some cheering-up.

I had ordered similar customised statues for certain important fortress personae as well, to be placed in their personal rooms as a reminder that, even in their personal rooms, I am always watching. Watching out for them, that is, of course.

Meanwhile, the leatherworker finished his artefact, a Deino leather shield decorated with chunks of adamantine. After deliberation, I decided it was useful enough that I wouldn't bother executing its creator, for now.

FirePhoenix11 and RedMageCole informed me that they had learned a few facts about Luxray training. Luxrays, of course, will make a fine addition as ancillary agents to the Mareep Mafia. Before long, the same was true of Burmy and Grubbin training, which was less immediately interesting to me, but will probably make Mottled Petrel happy. Keeping one's business associates happy is the sort of thing one needs to understand to get ahead in the world.

Nothing of particular interest happened for a while after that. Until, of course, something did.

The cry went up: a Mega Medicham had been sighted approaching the fortress from the direction of the battleground (apparently the only place anything will arrive). There were always a few dwarves who had wandered out there to pick more items off the field of corpses, and the unlucky ones who had chosen to do so today were cut off from Goldsilver's entrance completely. This happened to include, for reasons which remain utterly beyond me, Goldsilver's rather no-account king, Bëmbul. This wasn't a problem as such, but Bëmbul had always been useful to the Mareep Mafia, even eager to let us take the real decisions off his plate – and it would be a shame to see him replaced with somebody who might get unfortunate ideas like "cleaning house" or "running a tight ship". So I sent the freshly-healed Nopal and his men to prevent such an occurence.

Meanwhile, I stood on the roof to watch and see whether they would succeed.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 07, 2017, 03:21:45 pm »

Ooh! A bird! I'll gladly take the Dartrix under my wing. I could ask for no better companion as a Marksdwarf.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Paddywagon Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 07, 2017, 04:13:08 pm »

I think the Dartrix is RedMageCole's actually, it was one of the unofficially assigned ones and my reign ended before it got war trained.

I'll have a Slakoth and the Cherubi, it'll go great with the flowers Nopal draws in my beard

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 07, 2017, 04:55:25 pm »

Wow, our ponds are fucking BRUTAL. They've killed more dangerous enemies than all of our military. What pokemon do I even have assigned to me at this point, I don't remember. And what is this I hear about burmy and grubbin? I didn't see anything about them on the list, but keep them in the reserve for now, I've got enough companions to last me for a while.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:50:07 pm by MottledPetrel »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 07, 2017, 06:30:24 pm »

Wow, our ponds are fucking BRUTAL. They've killed more dangerous enemies than some of our military.
"some" (all)
What pokemon do I even have assigned to me at this point, I don't remember.
You have eight war Joltik, a hunting Venipede, and a war Gliscor. Your previous/dead self has a Hitmonchan, a Spewpa, and obviously the Exeggcute that's probably going to start killing people any minute now.
And what is this I hear about burmy and grubbin? I didn't see anything about them on the list
They weren't trained when I made the list, which is why the list appears before the note about training them. :P

AernJardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 07, 2017, 06:47:15 pm »

This is a cat meowth leather journal belonging to AernJardos. It is filled with doodles of questionable sanity.

Jigglypuff in a Tavern
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mareep Enforcer in the feared Mareep Mafia
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had ordered similar customised statues for certain important fortress personae as well, to be placed in their personal rooms as a reminder that, even in their personal rooms, I am always watching. Watching out for them, that is, of course.
Creeeeepy, creepy statues. Watching you from every corner. Starring. (Really great update.)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:32:08 pm by AernJardos »

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 07, 2017, 06:58:57 pm »

Wow, our ponds are fucking BRUTAL. They've killed more dangerous enemies than all of our military.
I didn't want to make any demeaning claims about our military without knowing the facts. But I thought we had greater weapons at our disposal than LITERAL PUDDLES. I can't complain with results though, lets just hope that weretreeko we drowned in the pond had a chance to bite it before it died. We're going to be fucking screwed if our guardian pond transforms at some point and comes to destroy us with it's ungodly might. And then it'll turn back into a pond in the middle of the fort, making an awfully inconvenient mess, which would also suck. Also, we've seem to have attracted another adept artist. Because of this, I have been !inspired! to start commissioning my own low quality, low effort art. Stay tuned for that.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 43