Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 84

Author Topic: Pumsy's Seeds - A ~MAGICAL GIRL~ game inspired by PMMM  (Read 138709 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pumsy's Seeds - A ~MAGICAL GIRL~ game inspired by PMMM
« Reply #945 on: April 18, 2019, 09:59:01 am »

Do move forward slowly.  Keep my club on the wall to help with orientation.  If I run into the other girls, try to be very careful with the badly-needed hugs to not cripple them.

Stop upon getting to an intersection, easy enough to turn around a passageway.

(Looks like you have to press your gem against the seed to use it, so not likely to happen by bumping into it by accident.)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 10:07:23 am by Devastator »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 18, 2019, 10:59:04 am »

...Not right time to mention Gradpa's illness yet.

Despite everything that had happened so far, Sasha hadn't feel so happy in her life since her days in Russia. When Papa disappeared and Grandpa went sick, no one was there to support her until now.

Today was an intense night for Aleksandra. She felt so many conflicting emotions in so little time, she didn't even know how to react half of the time. For now, she decided to stay silent and enjoy these precious moments of peace, before having to make her wish and return "home".

Aleksandra tightly holds Asha's hand and lets her guide her in the dark.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #947 on: April 18, 2019, 12:20:23 pm »

Tooru slumped, barely able to scrape together the motivation to move; now that the adrenaline was fading, the pain of the wounds she'd had Asha inflict on her was starting to come in at full force. Not to mention having lost Mina; she couldn't help but feel it was her fault. It was her bomb she'd asked the girl to deliver, and she was the one that couldn't figure out where to blast the witch and get her out in time. ". . . did we at least get the seed?" she asked, exhaustion clear in her voice.

Look for the seed for a bit, while generally ambling towards the exit.
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile

...Not right time to mention Gradpa's illness yet.

Despite everything that had happened so far, Sasha hadn't feel so happy in her life since her days in Russia. When Papa disappeared and Grandpa went sick, no one was there to support her until now.

Today was an intense night for Aleksandra. She felt so many conflicting emotions in so little time, she didn't even know how to react half of the time. For now, she decided to stay silent and enjoy these precious moments of peace, before having to make her wish and return "home".

Aleksandra tightly holds Asha's hand and lets her guide her in the dark.

Asha's pace picks up as the two of you head towards the tunnel's exit, and you actually have a little trouble keeping up with her; she's only walking, and yet you almost have to jog to keep pace.  There's not much risk of falling in this place though, and you're just as eager to get out, so you don't stop her.  That is, not until you nearly trip, stepping on a slick piece of trash hidden in the shallow water--Asha catches you, pulling you back to your feet and spinning around smoothly.  You thank her, then lean against the wall and catch your breath while looking at what you tripped on.

Asha simply says "Oh", leaning over to look at the object.  She holds her soul gem close, the blue light illuminating a corroded metal brooch shaped like a stylized wing.  "That's... the grief seed" Asha says, her glowing hand moving to pick it up, but pausing at the last moment.  "Um.  Maybe you should hold it." she says as she lets your hand go.  You give her a quizzical look, but grab it anyway, crouching down to look at the grief seed more closely.  It... doesn't look anything like a seed, more like a piece of old jewelery that was thrown down a gutter.  It might have once been lustrous and beautiful, finely detailed feathers spreading down from a smooth edge, but now it's dull and dirty, oxidation obscuring the fine work, particularly around the edge.  You turn it over in your hand.  It has a strange clasp that you've never seen before... or maybe it's just broken.  Hmm.  The smoothly curved outer edge, along with the jagged array of feathers on the other edge, makes it look something like one half of a broken heart.  You guess the "grief" part of the name seems accurate, at least, if Asha is right about this being the magical remnant of the witch rather than just some random piece of trash.  You transfer the grief seed to your other hand, that arm still hugging your grandfather's rifle close, and then take Asha's hand again.

Asha sets a more leisurely pace when you resume walking, probably feeling guilty about making you trip earlier.  Still, it's not long before you spot someone's silhouette up ahead, slowly walking along the right side of the tunnel, very close to the wall.  You point them out to Asha, and she immediately says that it's just Alida.  Alida stops just after that, and it doesn't take very long for the two of you to catch up to her.  Alida cuts an imposing figure, standing tall between the concrete walls and frowning unhappily as she watches the two of you.  Or, no--she's watching you in particular, seemingly lost in thought.

"Alida?  Are you okay?"

Alida blinks, then her eyes leave you, looking down at her left shoulder.  You're not really sure what's wrong with it, but her shoulder does look strange, though Alida doesn't look pained at all.  Then again, you're not sure if you've seen her react to any injuries today, and she's certainly taken a lot, even though they're not visible now.

Do move forward slowly.  Keep my club on the wall to help with orientation.  If I run into the other girls, try to be very careful with the badly-needed hugs to not cripple them.

Stop upon getting to an intersection, easy enough to turn around a passageway.

(Looks like you have to press your gem against the seed to use it, so not likely to happen by bumping into it by accident.)

It's not long before you get tired of waiting; it's intensely lonely sitting in the darkness, and you're not even entirely sure Asha is in the same tunnel.  You look down towards the distant circle of light, and spot Tooru some distance away, making surprisingly good time for how tired she seemed to be.  You sigh, and get back up carefully, holding your club out to scrape against the wall as you start to trail after her.

You've taken approximately five steps by the time Asha's voice rings in your head, saying that she can see you.  You close your eyes and take a deep breath, slightly annoyed that she gets close just after you stop waiting for her, and then you turn around and look back the way you came.  Sure enough, there's a light blue glow a short distance down the tunnel, barely illuminating Asha--and behind her, Aleksandra.  You stand and watch as they slowly make their way down to you.

All in all, the two girls seem to be in pretty good shape.  In fact, the only hint of a wound you see on either girl is a bit of blood on their interlocked hands, and you're pretty sure the blood is Asha's.  That's something to appreciate, you think; Aleksandra is easily the most vulnerable girl in the group, and yet she managed to make it through the entire labyrinth without taking any injuries at all.  You frown a little as your mind rapidly runs through the many, many injuries you and the others took, any one of which would probably have permanently killed Aleksandra if she had been the victim.  Today has been long and painful, and Mina...  Ugh.  You shake your head.  Today could have been worse.  Much worse.  You should just try and be happy for what wasn't lost.

"Alida?  Are you okay?"

You look up at Asha, standing closer now, her face a mask of worry.  She's staring at your dislocated arm, which you had practically forgotten about.  It doesn't hurt at all, your magic has seen to that.

Tooru slumped, barely able to scrape together the motivation to move; now that the adrenaline was fading, the pain of the wounds she'd had Asha inflict on her was starting to come in at full force. Not to mention having lost Mina; she couldn't help but feel it was her fault. It was her bomb she'd asked the girl to deliver, and she was the one that couldn't figure out where to blast the witch and get her out in time. ". . . did we at least get the seed?" she asked, exhaustion clear in her voice.

Look for the seed for a bit, while generally ambling towards the exit.

You keep your senses open while you walk, trying to detect any traces of the grief seed, but you can't sense anything noteworthy aside from Alida, and Asha a bit further away.  Not even any humans, or any traces of the overwhelming despair that had saturated the area before you entered the labyrinth.  You really hope the others stumble across it... though you're not sure what happens if you don't collect the grief seed after killing a witch.  It's not like she should be able to come back after all that, right?  You hope she can't, you don't think you have it in you to go through all that again.

You reach the exit to the tunnel without incident, or any more telepathic messages from the other girls, but immediately see a problem.  The exit has a series of heavy metal bars blocking it, recessed about five feet from the actual mouth of the tunnel.  It's not exactly a major problem, you're sure even a single one of your heavier talismans could blow up the entire grating, but it's another obstacle during what has already been a very long day.  Also, thinking about it, detonating a talisman might be a really bad idea while underground.

While you're considering what to do about the bars blocking the exit, a small pink feline scrambles up over the lip of the tunnel, then happily trots over to the bars and sits down in front of them.  Pumsy looks up at you happily, his golden eyes shining.  "Oh, Tooru!  Yay, you survived!"

((Next update Monday or something, I don't know, I'm tired.  Sheets haven't changed beyond Aleksandra holding some dead girl's rusty soul, yay.))

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 19, 2019, 02:40:26 pm »

((Regarding who gets the Grief Seed, I honestly believe Tooru is the one who needs it the most right now. Tooru and Alida are both at Shadowed, but Tooru's abilities are high cost while Alida can have some abilities active for free.))

((Since Alida has Painless, I think it would be a good idea to have Asha use Flagellation to restore her soul instead of using the Grief Seed, although I'm not sure if Alida will be bright enough for Asha to be able to Soothe the wounds without it costing too much.))

((As a note, I've been keeping track of the various soul levels. In order from brightest to darkest, we have seen: Radiant, Shining, Vibrant, Bright, Warm, Dull, Fading, Shadowed and Tattered.))
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: April 19, 2019, 05:48:49 pm »

Everyone is lazy jerk, me included. As requested, all secondary\named characters from and to linked posts, unless i somehow skipped someone. Didn't reread and don't remember about anyone later. :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:17:35 am by MCreeper »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 19, 2019, 07:32:27 pm »

With Determination 3, the highest soul level is "Grossly Incandescent".
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: April 19, 2019, 09:52:14 pm »

(The only ability I can keep active for free is the currently running berzerker + painless combination, and I can only keep painless going on, not start it.  Also, I have to be walking around with some kind of serious wound to keep it active.)
(IC, I would suggest rock paper scissors, but Alida will be okay with Tooru recharging first.  If it's single use, we can decide what to do next after it disappears.)
(The counterargument is that Tooru may be more powerful, Alida is more efficient, and thus would be the better choice for getting the most value out of this one.  Tooru did the important blows, but Alida basically had to fight from start to finish, and tank so much damage for the team.)
(Overall, I suspect that this seed is good for more than one use, but I can't be certain.)

"I'm sorry Asha, it's my arm.  I had to dislocate it for strength at the end there.  I wanted to make sure Tooru could make it out, and I had to be strong enough to carry her."

"It doesn't hurt..  I can wait a few more minutes."

"Don't fix it yet, doesn't it take more out of you to heal someone with a dark gem?

..Plus, I think I need to open this grate up."

Break ye grate away from the concrete wall by sticking my bat through a hole, locking it by tilting it, and then applying as much force as possible to bend/deform/break one bar at a time.  If I'm not strong enough, dislocate my other shoulder and then retry.  If that still fails, try to squeeze through.. if I get squished any it should make me strong enough to push them out of the way, right?  I mean, it'll hurt, but I can keep it up another five minutes, and Asha should be able to heal me, right?

If the soul gem is still around and available, avail myself of the second recharge.

"I wanted to ask you, Aleksandra, what you were going to wish for."

"I.. have a bit of a selfish request to make."

With that, Alida looks quite nervously down at her shoes.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 09:55:42 pm by Devastator »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: April 20, 2019, 12:38:17 am »

((It's not really about efficiency, it's about preventing her transformation into a witch. The fact that Tooru's abilities are high cost means she's pretty close to turning, while Alida can make her little soul last for much more. I think you could survive another labyrinth with the help of Asha's Flagellation, and Tooru doesn't have the abilities to ignore the pain and wounds it causes.))

((If we want to consider optimization in account, the second use would actually be better for Asha. She could spam Flagellation against you over and over, then just heal all of the damage for free (Soothe's level 3 ability). Since it's a cheap cost ability that restores moderate soul, there's a net gain. It's just your body what's being damaged, after all.))

A broken arm. While she was hiding and cowering in fear, Alida continued to fight. Even after Mina died and without Asha's help, she stayed her ground. She took most of the damage inside the with's lair, even dying once in front of her eyes.

And Aleksandra? She didn't even get a scratch during the whole trip. Sash looks down, both in shame and nervousness.

"...I already have idea, but... Will yours bring Mina back?"

She didn't like the idea of making a selfish wish. Otherwise, she would wish to instead return with her father and have her old life in Russia back, where her true home was. If she was going to wish something, it had to be for something that not only would save or prevent Mina's death, but also something that could be used to help the group later on.

She could wish to just save Mina, but why stop there? Why not wish to be able to prevent it and all other deaths that happen in the future? To be able to undo their mistakes and personally change their fate? Witches were dangerous, and there was no guarantee that the next would be any less stronger.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 20, 2019, 02:11:15 am »

(Alida could probably survive another labrynth with Asha's flagellation, but.. I don't know if Asha's going to be around next labrynth, with Nak's absence.)
(You are right about the Flagellation thing.  I think that would be pretty reasonable thing to do if we only get one charge out of that gem, although I might limit it to four or five, as killing Asha to save Alida isn't fair.  Or we could do it like fifteen, twenty times and then use the grief seed to regen Asha.. but that might be going too far and something might kick in from that level of abuse.)
(So.. best would be either getting flagellated zero times, to save Asha's soul, or doing it to the point of absurdity and refill Asha's soul with the gem.)
(As for time rewind, there are two ways out of that.  You win, or you lose.  It's not guaranteed to make things better, it could just let you redo things until you fail to rewind time, or die in a worse past than the one you are trying to rewrite.  There's no way to guarantee a success after all.)
(Personally.. I want to move forward and not redo the previous dungeon again.  And.. well, there might be some nasty side effects.  Other Innocence powers take more soul per person brought, and if the others have to pay part of the fare, it'll probably witch Tooru and Alida.  "Congrats, you're back at the start of the dungeon, but everyone is down a Massive from where they were originally.  Have fun.")

"No.. no it won't.  It would let me help everyone in the future.  I could have saved Mina.  She was mostly safe, hiding behind a building, and I made her fight.  If I'd been stronger, I could have prevented that.

I mean, I know I'm strong, but that's all I am, so it's what I do.  I hit it, but it barely noticed.  I want to be able to take hits for the rest of you, and be strong enough to really protect you guys, so you don't have to fight in the front line.

Yes, it's selfish to wish for power.  But I want to be able to help others, and not just as a broken wreck.  I felt like a bug there, I was using all my soul and magic I could, but it was no more than a fleabite.. and in the end, I asked Mina to enter the fight, and I got Mina killed.  I could have thrown that bomb into the witch, or carried it up myself.  There were many things I might have done, but I didn't have the magic or the strength to do them.  And because of that I asked you to do things you didn't want to do, and because of that someone died."

"I.. want to be more than I am now.  And.. yes it is selfish to want it to be me who protects you.. but.. well, think about it.  You don't have to make your decision now.  Just let me talk to you in private before you make your wish, and you can decide whatever you want to decide.  It wouldn't be right to take that away from you."
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 02:20:06 am by Devastator »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #955 on: April 20, 2019, 03:34:30 am »

((Tooru is also trying to make up lost ground. I lost a LOT of soul i didn't realize I was losing in the first dungeon but her build is much more mana-efficient now due to having totem manip.))
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: April 20, 2019, 10:04:09 am »

(Alida was also drained a lot by the Love powers of that first witch too.  And is still possibly suffering ill effects from whatever the soul-barb stuff is.)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: April 20, 2019, 10:38:48 am »

((I still think that the first use should go to Tooru regardless, but if Asha is not going to be next dungeon then maybe the second could go to Alida. About the time travel/manipulation/rewind/etc, I was actually thinking of a personal ability: go back there as a magical girl, prevent Mina from being killed and then help beat the witch. I don't even know if something like that would even be allowed, and it's effects would depend on the wording of the wish too. It could go from restarting the day without memories of the events to fumbling through time loops and trying to not cause paradoxes.))

Aleksandra stared at Alida, clearly confused about what she just said. That she wasn't strong enough? Alida was the strongest person Sasha had seen in her whole life.

"N-no... It's my fault, Alida... You were able to protect me... It wasn't because you weren't strong enough, but cause I was weak. If Asha hadn't stayed there to protect me, if I hadn't shot your other body..."

"I want to protect everyone, too. We all do, don't we? But I have single wish, and... I couldn't protect anyone. You all protected me, and I... Just cowered in fear in corner and tried to not get myself killed. And because of that, Mina... Isn't here anymore."

She returns to staring to the ground and avoiding eye contact. She was completely sure that Mina died because of her, despite what Alida said.

"...Sorry, but I already have clear wish in mind. I'll go back and save Mina, I have to. I'll make my wish and, this time, I won't need to be protected anymore."

((Also, I think you should have mentioned your wish idea way before all of this happened.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 20, 2019, 11:18:40 am »

(Yeah.. probably.  It didn't turn from a pipe dream into something more necessary until the hits just bounced off and Mina died, though, showing that more would certainly not be overkill.  I should have mentioned it earlier at some point, though I'm not sure when I could have done that.  We've been lost or fighting or sneaking around quietly, and telepathy wasn't an option.)

"Yeah, you did shoot my other body, didn't you?  And it went splat.  With the gun I saved for you, too..  maybe I should have left that in the water, and then you couldn't have shot me, and then Mina would have been saved."

"But.. it's not worth it to play the blame game.  In the end, the witch killed Mina.

"I can understand wanting to go back and save her, but think of the others, too.  There were dozens of other people who were taken by the witch's familiars.. and they're gone now.  I can't sense them.  I think they're dead too.  If you do go back, can you save them too?  They're parents, or children, or friends, or siblings..  just like us."

"We're not the only ones who count here."
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 03:48:33 pm by Devastator »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #959 on: April 22, 2019, 03:29:39 am »

((For the record, I'm all for timeline shenanigans. This is Madoka-inspired, after all.))

Tooru reached through the bars toward Pumsy, trying to stroke the fuzzy creature out of a sort of tired instinct more than anything else. She belatedly recalled her earlier incident with the fuzzy creature, the hand noticeably slowing as if the memory had a physical presence. Hopefully, hopefully that was just a fluke, and not yet another thing that could go wrong. "Yeah, I did. . ." She still felt guilty. Tooru barely knew Mina, but she was just. . . gone. Like snapping your fingers. It was hard to process. <I think I need help. There's bars over the exit and I'm afraid to blow them up. Pumsy's here, too.> She couldn't keep the note of trepidation out of the message, even with it being as obscured as it was by her exhaustion.
GM of Trespassers V2.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 84