Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I saved the game just as migrants were entering the screen and now they're stuck  (Read 1210 times)

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any way to fix? There's 2 "new arrivals" on the map, only one of them shows on the units screen though. They won't move from near the edge of the map though.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile

Did a river thaw?  Did you close a gate or lock a door?  Is a ramp or stair blocked?

Verify they have a path in.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As Dwarfu said, verify there is a valid path, and also set up a meeting area so they have a destination (they ought to head to the embark wagon otherwise, but just to make sure there is a destination).

However, there have been reports of merchants, invaders, and migrants getting stuck, in particular when a save is made when some of them are still off the map. Someone (lethosor?) made a script that improved on prior scripts to dislodge stuck merchants, but I don't know if it was expanded to include migrants.

You might want to provide the save so someone can take a look if the DF internal measures don't help.

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile

This is usually when I break off for the day/night, as I prefer to look through my migrants and customize their labors as they come in. I haven't had any trouble with them getting stuck. Lack of an accessible meeting zone is usually what gets them stuck.

Sometimes it takes them a bit to figure it out once it has been created/mad accessible.

(And then I looked at the date, whoops. Sorry if this counts as a necro.)

PatientRock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

An old version of the game used to do that to me all the time. One method that was sort of effective was to attack a stuck dwarf, calling off the attack when the first soldier gets somewhat close. It's tricky because you don't want the attack to actually occur but the solider needs to get close enough to scare the stuck dwarf into movement.
I am expert at Giant Badger training.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

However, there have been reports of merchants, invaders, and migrants getting stuck, in particular when a save is made when some of them are still off the map. Someone (lethosor?) made a script that improved on prior scripts to dislodge stuck merchants, but I don't know if it was expanded to include migrants.

fix/retrieve-units
fix/stuck-merchants
These should both be in DFHack 0.43.05-r2
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

galaban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I used to have this problem on older versions of the game when I didn't have a meeting location setup.  I don't know if that still happens, but without the meeting location, they won't know where to go...

But again, that was several years back, so it might be a different issue.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The embark wagon serves as the backup meeting area, and I think the location where the embark wagon once was is the backup for the backup.