Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mauls...?  (Read 1910 times)

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mauls...?
« on: October 04, 2017, 10:18:16 am »

Have the bugs been fixed for these weapons if you get a dwarf with sufficient height/broadness?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Maul

I've never understood the inability of dwarves to craft "foreign" weapons - especially when they have examples in front of them.

No dwarf maul/great axe squads. Disappoint.  :-[

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mauls...?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 11:50:23 am »

As far as I know the ability to use weapons (or to use two handed weapons with one hand) is still based on the race (average?) characteristics, not those of the individual would be wielder, so either all members of the race can use the weapon, or none can (I don't know if caste/significant gender dimorphisms may change things).

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 11:58:18 am »

Yeah wiki says some should be able to use it but it's bugged.

I guess it's not fixed yet. Certainly if I go into Dwarf Therapist, I can see some dwarves are big enough to use mauls, but simply cannot.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 05:34:02 pm »

yeah as of right now its still bugged.

as for making foreign weapons, its easily done via modding though i dont remember how to do it off the top of my head.

if you really want your dwarves to wield two handed weapons you can increase their size so that everyone can.

in creature_standard, search for [BODY_SIZE:12:0:60000] and change it to [BODY_SIZE:12:0:70000]

that will make them as large as humans and they should all be able to wield larger weapons.

or maybe change it to something even bigger and have giant dwarves.

The giant dwarf UristMcDwarf has come! An enormous drunken humanoid. It has an enormous auburn beard and its eyes shimmer amber. Beware its deadly vomit!
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 07:30:20 am »

Some of them already have the size, I think it has been limited by race.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 08:39:53 am »

Can wield VS can't wield is limited by the size of racial average, not by the size of an individual.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 01:42:10 pm »

as for making foreign weapons, its easily done via modding though i dont remember how to do it off the top of my head.
That reminds me, I want a "Large Weight" as a trap component, something like a giant hammerhead to provide a weapons-grade self-loading gravity trap that could squish invader's flat (or at least put a lot of force in a wide contact area and do a huge amount of bone-breaking concussive damage.)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 02:03:53 pm »

One could make a blunt (trap) weapon with size set to something ridiculous like 100k. It'll also be ridiculously valuable.

Alternatively, one could load a minecart with boulders (or minecarts with boulders in them) and dump/push it above a door without floor between doortop and cart, for a gravity trap triggered by somebody going through the door. Obviously harms your dwarves. Alternatively, perhaps you could put them in traps if you gave them [IS SPIKE] tag.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 11:14:01 am »

So Stone Trap using Slade bouder?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 11:28:49 pm »

I've never understood the inability of dwarves to craft "foreign" weapons - especially when they have examples in front of them.

Actually they can - in limited circumstances.  If a dwarf moods as a weaponsmith has a preference for a foreign weapon then they will craft that as an artifact.  Doesn't address the problems with not being able to wield certain foreign weapons...

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 12:16:35 pm »

So Stone Trap using Slade bouder?
Possible, but that has to be manually reloaded.  I was thinking something with more mechanisms involved, kind of like one of those giant industrial hammers they use to drive flush rivets into commercial airliners, only applied to driving goblin skulls into their torsos.