Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Quit Without Saving  (Read 5962 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quit Without Saving
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 07:07:58 am »

There are ways to prevent, or at least count, rewinds of aborted games...
A crash is indistinguishable from an abort.
In many ways. But it isn't the single crash/abort/whatever that matters, it's the pattern of repeated incidents. A person who accumulates hundreds of 'crashes', especially with key gameplay indicators associated with them, is either attempting to perservering with a very buggy program or invoking the crashes themselves. If detected, a beligerently anti-savescumming program would be entitled to ramp up difficulties or add compensatory functionality to at least try to normalise the difficulty to pre-'cheat' levels.

(This, SFAIK, isn't something Tarn does, or really relevent to this thread. I'm just talking hypothetically, because somehow my thoughts drifted that way at some point.)

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 11:29:19 am »

If detected, a beligerently anti-savescumming program would be entitled to ramp up difficulties or add compensatory functionality to at least try to normalise the difficulty to pre-'cheat' levels.
And I, for one, would have no problem with that--if it was actual difficulty that was the problem. If somebody's savescumming because they want their hero to slay an exceptionally volatile Forgotten Beast singlehanded, that's one thing. But my favorite example of justified savescumming was when the temperature outside my fort dipped, for just a second, to just below zero--precisely while one of my Herbalists happened to be walking through a 1/7 puddle. So, of course, she was flash-frozen in a solid block of ice, and died instantly. One must bear in mind that DF is still very unfinished, so bugs, oversights, & unintended consequences happen all the time, and "abusing" DFHack or the Task Manager to compensate for those events is no abuse at all.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 01:04:37 pm »

You missed the bit where I disclaimed its use for DF.

It 'helps' that no program can accurately score the luck/intention of the player across the myriad (give or take a couple of orders of magnitude) of possible events. (Was that noble killed by being unlucky in his traversal of a waterfall, or was it engineered to happen at the exact whim of the fortress spirit? All the dwarves are now vampires... ...was that intentional? A cave-in disrupted the caravan, or it drowned - discuss!)

But as I doubt there's a will to counter the various only-'cheating'-oneself methods of playing, it almost certainly only applies as a general comment.
Pages: 1 [2]