Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventurer's Deeds Completely Unheard of, Felled Beast Still Presumed Alive  (Read 1284 times)

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ages ago, I had a legendary dwarven adventurer named Tuun who defeated a savanna titan and lived to tell the tale. I retired him in a local hamlet, and decided when the time was right that I'd return to him and continue adventuring. Unfortunately, Tuun met his end in combat before I had a chance to do that, presumably without relaying any of his great deeds to another soul. All across the land everyone is still convinced that Dixil (the titan) is still at large in the plains and that somebody needs to go and deal with it.  In hopes of spreading the word of his epic deeds, my new adventurer, a hyena woman, has made a journey to Dixil's empty shrine and observed the titan's stray salt neck (laying exactly where it landed upon my first encounter with the beast, after bashing it off), but even despite this, I don't have an option to spread a rumor about his end. The only option I have is "spread rumor of Dixil Waxlobster's presence in the The Slippery Prairie". Does anyone know the criteria of rumor spreading? Do I need to have known Tuun personally to figure he'd killed Dixil? Will the details of my dwarf's journey and encounters stay with him in the grave? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've never had any real luck with spreading actual rumors. I find that conveying the information through a story is much easier in getting people to actually recognize events. You might have to do some searching in the menus, though.

Bugs might of course prevent you from recognizing the titan as dead.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you locate the people Tuun told about his Titan slaying, they should know about it (unless they're bugged). Ask them to tell you about it, then you can go tell everyone else in the world.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since you've been to The Slippery Prairie you can tell a story about a region and filter for Slippery Prairie.  The tale will appear there.  After you tell it, then rumours can start to spread.  When I want to spread those kinds of tales, I usually go on a tour and tell the story in quite a few places.  Eventually I start hearing people talk about it.

Incidentally, I can't actually remember if this works, but I *think* that once you get people repeating the story you can then ask about the people in the story.  So if you are looking for someone specifically (who is not dead), you can start telling stories about them by looking for stories in sites or regions where they were.  When somebody starts repeating the rumour back to you, then the person will finally show up in your list of people to ask about.  If I remember correctly...

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile

Oddly enough, rumor info also exists somewhat uselessly in the local hivemind.

Were one of your characters to "ask about the surrounding area" in the vicinity of this savanna titan's shrine, they could be told that "such and such savanna titan was slain by Tuun."

Yet were your character to ask about this savanna titan, they'd be told "so and so is a dangerous animal" which is a weird disconnect, as that text response indicates that such a creature is still considered alive.

None of that causes the rumor to spread.

mikekchar's suggestion to tell the tale about the region is the best way to get the rumor to spread. NPCs who've heard the tale when questioned about this savanna titan will then remark, "so and so is dead."

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've never had any real luck with spreading actual rumors. I find that conveying the information through a story is much easier in getting people to actually recognize events. You might have to do some searching in the menus, though.

Bugs might of course prevent you from recognizing the titan as dead.

Good thing I invested quite a few points in the speaker ability then. I've managed to find the story of Dixil's death through the site sub menu. Apparently, if a creature is killed in its lair, the only way to tell someone it died is to find the name of its lair and use the list of events there. It doesn't appear in the regional info, for whatever reason.

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you locate the people Tuun told about his Titan slaying, they should know about it (unless they're bugged). Ask them to tell you about it, then you can go tell everyone else in the world.

Unfortunately everyone who knew about Tuun is dead, including his companion. Luckily I was able to find the story of Dixil's death in the sites sub menu for story telling.

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since you've been to The Slippery Prairie you can tell a story about a region and filter for Slippery Prairie.  The tale will appear there.  After you tell it, then rumours can start to spread.  When I want to spread those kinds of tales, I usually go on a tour and tell the story in quite a few places.  Eventually I start hearing people talk about it.

Incidentally, I can't actually remember if this works, but I *think* that once you get people repeating the story you can then ask about the people in the story.  So if you are looking for someone specifically (who is not dead), you can start telling stories about them by looking for stories in sites or regions where they were.  When somebody starts repeating the rumour back to you, then the person will finally show up in your list of people to ask about.  If I remember correctly...

I managed to find the story in the sites sub-menu, under Dixil's layer. I've been spreading the rumor around a few places. To the elves, to a handful of dwarven drunks, and my militia commander Uvash in my currently retired fortress. Hopefully word will spread around in time. Until then, I think I'm going to retire my hyena woman until there's another story to tell.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Apparently, if a creature is killed in its lair, the only way to tell someone it died is to find the name of its lair and use the list of events there. It doesn't appear in the regional info, for whatever reason.

That's because events are stored at the location level. I remember killing a bronze colossus, but being unable to tell the tale when selecting the colossus' shrine in the story telling menus. Turns out I had killed it like a few tiles outside of what the game recognized as the shrine, so the killing was stored in the regional level. 
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Charizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oddly enough, rumor info also exists somewhat uselessly in the local hivemind.

Were one of your characters to "ask about the surrounding area" in the vicinity of this savanna titan's shrine, they could be told that "such and such savanna titan was slain by Tuun."

Yet were your character to ask about this savanna titan, they'd be told "so and so is a dangerous animal" which is a weird disconnect, as that text response indicates that such a creature is still considered alive.

None of that causes the rumor to spread.
The "ask about the surrounding area" option doesn't use the rumor system, so people can talk about events they don't know about.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

Club people with the creature's severed neck/head and see if that does it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

Aside, I did this not too long ago to locate a werebeast-infected visitor who had escaped from a community fortress. It worked.