Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Cyberdwarf: Concession and Cancellation in a Far-Future Fortress  (Read 14109 times)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberdwarf: Abuse and Abasement in a Far-Future Fortress
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2017, 10:36:52 am »

Cazin slithers out of the pile and makes a break for the door, crawling quickly along the floor.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2017, 10:45:42 am »

Looks at the hole, looks at the bar, looks back at the hole.
"Maybe in a minute, but first... Bitch gotta get paid."
Runs for the bar, jumping over brawls and sliding under demons.
Run to the bar, crack open the safe holding Bomrek's double-barreled crossbow and tonight's earnings. Take it all, then get to that damn hole and shoot anyone or anything that tries to stop me.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2017, 11:30:36 am »

Sing. For the love of Moradin, sing.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2017, 10:26:46 pm »

Pray to the goblin gods, perhaps my old boss from before I got kidnapped by my dwarven family is in the crowd of demons.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 08:03:09 am »

Cazin slithers out of the pile and makes a break for the door, crawling quickly along the floor.

[There's A Pounding At The Door: 2+1]

You're not entirely sure it'll be any better outside, but it's got to be better than being crushed against a wall while the world burns around you, so you slither out and try to make your way outside, hoping to be tiny enough to miss but large enough to be difficult to crush underfoot.

[The Burning Barroom: 5]

The unlikely blur of Clark sweeps past you into the horde of demons, propelled by untold cybernetic enhancements as his monofilament axe rips through demons all around him, creating a slight ebb in the storm of violence that you waste no time in using to your advantage, scampering through the lull like a panicked rat in a maze, then diving into another momentary clearing as what is clearly a highly illegal railgun blasts through the chest of a particularly rotund demon, the other horde getting out of the way as it falls to the ground, and finally you manage to skip out between the legs of a dwarf that seems to have unfolded into a living assemblage of distorting blades right before he jumps into the fray and is immediately torn in half by a crablike armored fiend, the two halves nevertheless fighting on as they plunge into two separate directions in the crowd.

You finally make it to the front door past the old cloakroom, now inhabited by a fireteam of mercenary dwarves spraying lead into encroaching horrors, and look outside.

Much to your chagrin, the demons appear to have appeared in force - Apethreat is backed up three blocks long with the encroaching horde, and Onyx is even worse, part of it seemingly having slid down into a newly formed glowing pit.

This being Hell and property values around here being what they are, you expect security forces to start showing up within about twenty minutes from now. This likely doesn't bode well for anyone still inside.

Looks at the hole, looks at the bar, looks back at the hole.
"Maybe in a minute, but first... Bitch gotta get paid."
Runs for the bar, jumping over brawls and sliding under demons.
Run to the bar, crack open the safe holding Bomrek's double-barreled crossbow and tonight's earnings. Take it all, then get to that damn hole and shoot anyone or anything that tries to stop me.

It's just like Happy Hour, you say to yourself, except the patrons are interested in flesh in a more literal sense. And them putting hands on you is a lot more lethal. So really it's the masterclass that ought to test everything you've learned thus far, especially service with a smile.

[The Burning Barroom: 2+1]

You weave and whirl through the room, dodging among other things a burst of silver-tipped needles from a flechette cannon, a floating sentient ball of writhing maggots, this one guy named Clark and an Incongruous Opera Box being hurled past you, a screeching marquis of the night still within it as two particularly immense demons seem to have paused their destruction for a spirited game of catch, which makes you stop for a second as you do a double take.

This proves long enough for a sprinting skeletal horse demon to both call a shot and get right up to you, at which point he punts you hard enough that you turn into three different bats at once, flying behind the bar and circling a moment before reforming, dizzy and off-balance.

After a moment's recovery you look around the nearby neighborhood, and make out the safe beneath the bar, standing on top of which is none other than Bromek "Bomrek" Brokeshin, double-barreled automatic rocket crossbow in hand and no less then six goons kitted out in enough hardware to easily serve double that number, attempting and somewhat succeeding in holding off the encroaching demonic waves as they unload a lifetime's weapons investment to protect their employer.

[The Fruit of Arson: 1]

There is a muffled explosion from below, wholly distinct from the unmuffled explosions from above and the chunk of bar directly behind you leans downward before the panel supporting it snaps and collapses inward, the substandard construction seemingly having melted beneath to the point of failing to support it.

[Vampiric Reflexes: 6]

Sensing fire, you run toward the wall of the Gate and also slightly up it, hissing defensively as tongues of blue-white flame start coming out of the floor, accompanied by evil fumes of z-booze gone horribly wrong - behind you the back of the bar continues to collapse in earnest, a vicious inferno rising up behind it.

Demons in the cellar, you hear one of Bromek's security team shriek mechanically, they're coming in through the floors! Game over, another less optimistic one shouts in response! Bromek opens the safe with a thumbprint and quickly grabs several generous handfuls of credsticks that he shoves in his pockets, screaming something about retreating to the backroom while there's still time. Though the pocket of safety they carved out immediately begins to collapse as they try to retreat along the west wall to the backroom, they seem like they'd have good odds of getting there with minimal losses.

Meanwhile, you find yourself in the middle of this wall party that the demons are having up here by themselves, with the addition of several vampires fighting with them in the vain hope that their ability to scale walls will provide them with some kind of fleeting advantage. A few of them notice the cozy pool of steel-melting fire beneath them and dive in with hellish squeals of delight, some forgetting to put down the vampires they were dismembering at the moment as they do so, the screaming deaths of the latter making you feel really glad for a moment that you don't appear to have found a dance partner yet.

Once more, you have seconds before you are noticed, and no floor to run across in the near vicinity.

Sing. For the love of Moradin, sing.

[The Dwarven Concertina: 3]

You begin to sing a song nervously, and the demon listens critically for a moment, staring into your black soul with subtly faceted eyes. It doesn't seem very impressed at first, and so continues to squeeze and pull until you start to involuntarily shriek, at which point it starts to tap its foot and nod its head to the tune of your suffering. Then, seemingly satisfied for the moment, it tucks you underneath its arm in a sauna-like embrace and begins to make its way into the barroom in long, easy strides amid the ocean of chaos, finally landing on the stage.

Then it presents you, unfathomably sharp claws digging into your stomach as it plays a scream solo on you - the demons all around cheer, and several more gather on stage with their own creatively mutilated dwarves and vampires, gathering a six-piece torture band on stage, completely ignoring the sound system as they appear to intend to make you sing loud enough to outscream Mr. Lovegod's still-playing oeuvre through purely natural means.

Pray to the goblin gods, perhaps my old boss from before I got kidnapped by my dwarven family is in the crowd of demons.

Nuxkagoslust, you scream the name as you go from merely crawling to actual genuflection, save this poor pathetic nothing from the dark of the night, shelter them in black wings and carry them to safety! Bring doom and destruction upon those who would bring you harm!

[The Dark Masters: 1]

You repeat the prayer many times as the chaos around you grows quieter and quieter, and becomes muffled to an impressive degree before you open your eyes again and see what's happened.

The shield seems enveloped on all sides by something that is not quite darkness, but instead looks like a butterfly pattern of black and blacker, swirling lines and circles moving all around you before focusing on both you and the riggerdwarf, and suddenly opening into something darker still.

Shit, you didn't think Nuxkagoslust was actually real, but as the mass of staring eyes peers at you there is the strong urge to become a true believer. Their gaze is heavy and terrible, searching your heart for weakness and pulling at it experimentally, sending a chill down your bones as it tries to get you to submit - to do as it says and jump into its many maws as a momentary snack to sate its neverending hunger.

You glance to the side and see the riggerdwarf staring blankly, her fingers trembling as she begins to reach for what you recognize easily enough as the off switch for her drone barrier, and realize that maybe your old boss had a much brighter view of Nuxkagoslust than Nuxkagoslust seems to have of you for obvious reasons.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 08:52:11 am »

"Bromek, you beardless bastard... At least the explosion's a good distraction, thank you past me."
Leap from chandelier to chandelier (required in every bar since the Errol Flynn Act of 1024), then swing down on one of their ropes to pickpocket the credsticks from Bromek.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2017, 05:52:32 pm »

Use my necromantic powers to scream like a banshee.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:22:18 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2017, 08:08:21 pm »

RUN AWAY, LOOK FOR THE BATHROOM, GET TO THE SEWER!!!
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2017, 08:16:06 pm »

Quickly clamber up the wall of the tavern, ignoring the demons, and begin regretting my life choices on the roof.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2017, 11:32:06 am »

"Bromek, you beardless bastard... At least the explosion's a good distraction, thank you past me."
Leap from chandelier to chandelier (required in every bar since the Errol Flynn Act of 1024), then swing down on one of their ropes to pickpocket the credsticks from Bromek.

[With Catlike Tread: 4+1]

Bromek's left a generous enough furrow in the swarm that you manage to swing right after him and, save a few stray bullets passing a comfortable enough distance past you, manage to get right on top of them as you swing on chandeliers and use the flying demons as platforms every now and then, culminating in a final dive. Your hands form claws and you momentarily merge with the flickering shadows shed by the blasts of hellfire, a mere speck in Bromek's vision as you pass...

[Swipe The Planet: 4]

And then you swing back up far enough for your momentum and shadowy presence to carry you right back to the ceiling just shy of the Incongruous Opera Boxes or at least what's left of them. Taking care to avoid a perpetually vomiting hellbeast, you survey the bounty of credsticks in your possession, the minute chip in your palm tingling encouragingly as you sweep it across each one in turn. The place seems to have been packed, and damn if the night's earnings don't reflect that - you could have a pretty fine night in Uptown with all this dosh!

Now to the business at hand, which is to say not getting horribly murdered by this demonic horde. You notice Jalormis seems to have found a new career on stage as a guitar for that demon that opened up the door, and boy if he's not working hard. Seems like the fiends have struck up a band.

Use my necromantic powers to scream like a banshee.

[Death Growls: 6+1]

You shriek with the soul-stilling bleakness of the dark fields beyond dwarfin experience, the black streams that no living thing has crossed and come back, the infinite realms of the dead and forever lost beckoning all that lives to finally and inescapably die.

Your wail resounds through the room, exceeding the volume of Mr. Lovegod's noise by several degrees of magnitude as many a dwarf in the crowd suddenly goes still, the very life squeezed out of their bones as they slump to the ground, so irrevocably killed that you can almost hear their souls being ground to dust. Cybernetic horrors stop in their movement and fly out of control, crashing into walls and demons alike as their operators spontaneously expire, and even some of the smaller demons scream delightedly as they melt into unrecognizable goo.

The rest of the demons, however, begin to rock out like never before, which does have the momentary bright side of the abyssal player holding you being a bit too lost in the beauty of it all to remember to torture you for even more impressive sounds.

RUN AWAY, LOOK FOR THE BATHROOM, GET TO THE SEWER!!!

You look at the riggerdwarf and decide not to help in any way. You've got a lot of skin, after all, and you expect saving it to be enough work for your liking. Taking up an appropriate starting position for the maneuver you are about to pull, you get low and sweat profusely, hoping that you're not about to die a horrible death.

The riggerdwarf's finger lands on the button, but the ceasing of the drones' buzz is very much outweighed by the pressure wave of Nuxkagoslust encroaching hungrily. You do not hear the poor rigger scream. Instead you hold your breath and dive forward, using the floor as your guide as you try not to look at or listen to the unique sound of Nuxkagoslust's insides.

[I Am Your Butterfly: 5]

And after what feels like far too long you miraculously you emerge on the other side, or at least another side - behind you lurk the Wings of Doom, and they're definitely not fucking well chuffed at your escape. They take a moment to reorient - enough for you to start sprinting to the bathroom, feeling the most frighteningly sober you ever have in your life.

[Bathroom Break: 2]

Your fastest sprint, however, is not a very fast sprint by any standards, let alone the properly demonic - you try and make up the difference through clever maneuvering as the consuming void shrouded in black butterfly wings trails behind you, leaping through the throng of demons as a horrific shrieking in the air threatens to rip your very soul out of your body. And yet you persevere and push forward to a particular end of the bar leading to a familiar vomit-encrusted, foul-smelling Hell in its own right.

Nearly smacking into the door as Nuxkagoslust bears down on you, you pull it open and are immediately met with a bizarre sight - the shreds of stalls litter the inside of the bathroom, the toilets exploded and fire racing up from the sewers as if from a burst gas line, the faucets on the sinks twisted and melted, a small contingent of demons having a shocking amount of fun with the meager spoils from the overpriced cigarette and condom machines brutally ripped from the wall and eviscerated.

Your heart suddenly clenches and you double over, half from the unearthly wail from the barroom, half from the sudden remembrance of all the good times you've had in here, half from the creeping realization that Nuxkagoslust is at best a second behind you and about to push your day's ruination into the further reaches of experience.

Quickly clamber up the wall of the tavern, ignoring the demons, and begin regretting my life choices on the roof.

[Driven Up The Walls: 4]

The extremely corrosive runoff from the Magma Quarter, while hardly ideal for afternoon walks, does have the pleasurable side effect of making any lasting structure in Hell possess the twin conveniences of extraordinarily proofed roofing and drainpipes so sturdy that a couple of demons appear to be blowing a solid stream of boiling acid through one and it doesn't even feel warm to the touch. You waste no time and climb up, dodging the occasional fireball as you clamber up onto the roof of Death's Gate about three floors up, the roof of the massive hellcave above you glittering with beautifully worthless glass inclusions.

[What A Lovely Day: 2+1]

You gaze all around as you try to avoid the notice of five grim, horned figures standing twelve feet tall each, all standing in a circle and chanting in a tongue that sounds like a volcano of bees as well as the assortment of smaller winged creatures sitting on the edge of the roof like gargoyles, making bets on whether they can hit one unsuspecting dwarf half a mile away or not (which you observe to have about a 50% success rate, unluckily for the unsuspecting dwarves in question). The party seems considerably calmer up here, though you don't wager this'll last if they see you milling about.

On the brighter side, the sudden demon outbreak does seem to be limited to about a three to four block radius as far as you can tell, which bodes well for your survival prospects if the security forces do indeed manage to find the time to arrive at some point. On the other hand more of them are obviously coming in, flying and crawling out of the glowing pits of Hell in unceasing, excited numbers as they crowd and fight in the streets around Death's Gate, buildings crumbling in their wake.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:44:22 am by Harry Baldman »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2017, 12:55:26 pm »

Quickly loosen up my muscles by doing some relaxing, relaxing yoga, then try to leap to a nearby rooftop, preferably one either lower or around the same altitude. Oh; and one with fewer demons. If no such rooftops seem to exist, then simply flop down on the tiles and act as if I'm dead.

Shouldn't be very hard, considering my work has already killed everything inside of me.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2017, 08:22:23 pm »

Turn into a bat while my player is distracted and GTFO.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2017, 08:29:47 pm »

CLIMB OUT THE WINDOW
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2017, 08:40:44 pm »

"I better go but... Shit, there's Jal. It'd be kinda shitty if I left him to die twice."
Assist Jal by swinging down, grabbing his bat form, then leaping through the hole Bear left for me.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:42:23 pm by Fniff »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2017, 09:41:26 pm »

"I better go but... Shit, there's Jal. It'd be kinda shitty if I left him to die twice."
Assist Jal by swinging down, grabbing his bat form, then leaping through the hole Bear left for me.
Thanks, man.

[insert meme image here]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8