Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are deserts inaccessible to trade caravans?  (Read 916 times)

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are deserts inaccessible to trade caravans?
« on: October 06, 2017, 11:47:10 pm »

I've started a new fortress on the edge of a mountain and a desert and everywhere above ground is inaccessible to trade caravans. The only places caravans can pass apparently are in the tunnels I've dug. Is this a thing? Is there some way I can dig a tunnel to the edge of the map that will allow the trade caravans to spawn or is my fortress forever isolated by its location?
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Are deserts inaccessible to trade caravans?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 12:21:18 am »

Press d then moothe, you could just have a fairy ring of boulders holding them out.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 01:43:23 am »

I'm not aware of any such general problems. The key I think StagnantSoul tries to refer to is 'D', i.e. build a trade depot, press 'D' and see where the first obstacle is, remove that, repeat,...
Trees and boulders are the main obstacles (and there usually aren't many trees in deserts when starting: junglification take a couple of decades).

If you still have problems you might try to provide a save for others to poke at.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 03:39:24 am »

Ah, that'd probably be faster and less dwarf intensive, I meant d-s to smooth all the boulders on the map.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 11:31:36 pm »

Well that's the thing. I've got a trade post and hit 'D' and the entire surface is red. The only green is the caverns I've dug that don't reach the edge of the map. I'm not sure about the mechanics that allow trade caravans to spawn in. I know you can't dig off the edge of the map.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 11:45:41 pm »

The green starts counting outward from depot. Find where it stops towards the surface; that's where you have your blockage.

(FYI wagons can't descend stairs, only ramps.)

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 11:00:21 pm »

Figured it out. It was a bunch of unsmoothed stones all over the map.