Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can any container store stones?  (Read 4543 times)

dobrebaby

• Escaped Lunatic
  • dobre ma
    • View Profile
Can any container store stones?
« on: October 07, 2017, 01:15:10 pm »

I was looking through the wiki, and it seems that almost every type of item can be placed on a storage container except for stone. I have so much of it, and it looks like I'll need a gigantic stockpile just to unclutter my fortress. Is there a container that can store all of these things?

For reference, I am talking about my ungodly amount of diorite and cobalite.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can any container store stones?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 01:53:14 pm »

No, stone cannot be stored in containers. However, you can use Quantum Stockpiles to store an unlimited number of objects in a single tile.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 12:42:22 am »

If you don't need that much stone, you can cut each into 4 blocks and store those in bins.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 01:53:36 pm »

A minecart can contain 5 Stones, although that's probably not such a container like you thought.

You can always quantum stockpile stone, if you want. (Just designate a dumping zone, dump it, and then reclaim it.)
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 03:36:36 pm »

You could also have 2-3 guys churning out thousands of stone crafts a year, it helps a lot.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 05:46:26 pm »

I kind of wish quantum stockpiling was not a thing, that excessively stacked objects would spill out into other tiles around their point of impact, and that they would eventually start filling on top of each other, just so we had reasons to build enormous slag-piles and storage silos. 

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 06:12:09 pm »

You could spread around the stockpile a bit via give to minecart link, shotgunning the goods into destination stockpile with cart or throwing via bridge, or by through-wall teleportation via up-to-max-speed carts as a compromise between stockpiling by hand and quantum stockpiling.

You could also do things like make no stockpiles except for refuse and food, and whenever a workshop gets cluttered you build a new one until your workshops stop getting cluttered.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 07:03:58 pm »

I was looking through the wiki, and it seems that almost every type of item can be placed on a storage container except for stone. I have so much of it, and it looks like I'll need a gigantic stockpile just to unclutter my fortress. Is there a container that can store all of these things?

For reference, I am talking about my ungodly amount of diorite and cobalite.

Set up two stone stockpiles adjacient to each other. Make one stockpile be a 1x1. Make the other stockpile be however large as you want.

Then set up a mine cart route. The mine cart route should be as short as possible, preferably just 1 tile long. At the end of the mine cart route set up a track stop and have it auto-dump onto your 1x1 stone stockpile.

Set your mine cart route to take stone from the big stockpile, and then when empty always immediately guide it back to the start to be reloaded. You can pile up multiple of these compressors using mine cart routes on the same tiles and dwarves will work them all simultaneously. This lets you compress anything you want from your big stockpile to a 1x1 stockpile.

This also works for wood, refuse, furniture, or anything else. It also works for bars/weapons/finished good/armor, however in order to get this to work make sure that both the big stockpile and the 1x1 quantum stockpile do not use bins. Using bins for bin-storable items causes problems with quantum stockpiling.

Alternatively if you just want to get rid of it, have this track stop dump into a chute down to the magma ocean or into an atom smasher. Make sure your atom smasher pit is at least 5 z-levels deep so nothing bounces out of the pit as the drawbridge does its thing.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 03:02:03 am »

@Hyndis: You don't need any travel distance at all for a mine cart QS. The feeder stockpile does not have to be adjacent to the mine cart either, but when stone is involved it's obviously useful if the feeder stockpile has wheel barrow support.

It should be noted, however, that there is is bug in DF that causes wheel barrows to be treated as stone, hauled to the mine cart, dumped onto the QS (at least if the track stop is set to dump most everything), hauled back to the feeder stockpile, hauled to the mine cart... in an infinite loop.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 09:58:25 am »

Wheelbarrows and qsps, huh. Haven't had any troubles with it, and right now it seemed fine...

||

But that was with minecart set to take just stone. If I set it to take wheelbarrows too...

Nope, they remain still. Maybe it's linked to bug that has stone remain inside wheelbarrow?

@Hyndis: Also, you don't need multiple minecarts to have multiple jobs (saw multiple "store item in vehicle" jobs for 1 cart rn). Unlike with cages, multiple dwarves can work the same minecart simultaneously.

Oh, and drawbridges can throw items up to 10z in air. The 5z Sanctume uses is to prevent seeing reanimated hair and dead corpses on the bottom.

The fact that sometimes minecart gets invisibly tasked without dwarf, thus stopping the operation, is also worth noting.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:02:08 am by Fleeting Frames »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 02:22:58 pm »

You need to move the mine cart 1 tile so that it dumps the contents. It only dumps the contents when it is moved onto a tile with a track stop. This means your quantum stockpile mine cart route needs to be at minimum 2 tiles long, a starting position and the ending position with the track stop.

Each mine cart can hold 5 stone at a time, and there's some downtime where the cart is being moved back and forth. To not have any interruption when quantum stockpling multiple minecart routes can be created that are duplicates of each other. 3 minecart routes for stockpiling stone mean that 15 stone can be hauled at once, improving speed at which things are quantum stockpiled at the cost of increased labor requirements.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 02:54:31 pm »

No, you don't need to move a minecart to have a qsp. You can, but don't need to, as the track stops will empty the contents of even stationary minecarts*. Here, have a guide to test out.

*Can also be used to produce power or drain infinite amount of water.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 02:01:40 pm »

You need to move the mine cart 1 tile so that it dumps the contents. It only dumps the contents when it is moved onto a tile with a track stop. This means your quantum stockpile mine cart route needs to be at minimum 2 tiles long, a starting position and the ending position with the track stop.

Each mine cart can hold 5 stone at a time, and there's some downtime where the cart is being moved back and forth. To not have any interruption when quantum stockpling multiple minecart routes can be created that are duplicates of each other. 3 minecart routes for stockpiling stone mean that 15 stone can be hauled at once, improving speed at which things are quantum stockpiled at the cost of increased labor requirements.

Your Quantum Stock Piles are set up wrong.

First construct your track stop, for this example set it to dump south. This can be change with q later if you forget or want to change direction.

Make a 1x1 stockpile adjacent south of the stop and set it for Stone only. Press q and then a and make sure it reads "accept from links only" and set it to have no bins or barrels or wheel barrows. This is your QSP

Make a 3x3 stockpile starting southwest/bottom left of your track stop (left immediately of the 1x1) and take it to the top right of your track stop, the radius is exactly 3x3. It will not over write your stop or the other stockpile if done this way. Set it to no bins or barrels. This is your Feeder Stock Pile.

Now press h, then r to create a new route. Hover over your stock and make a new stop (s I think it is) press x to delete all conditions (this is important!!!)
Now hover over your larger stock pile and press s to make a new stockpile link.

Congratulations you just made a new quantum stockpile, using just a 3x3 radius. The same size as workshop! The wheelbarrow issue is caused by allowing wheelbarrows in the quantum stock pile I think, so make sure to set those to zero.

I make my QSP setup 3x3 to appease my ocd so I can have stockpiles adjacent to my workshops. So I'll have a pile for bars next to my forge, and stone pile next to my mason.

Oh. And be careful with making multiple QSPs that accept the same items. It's likely you will have QSPs that are just empty.

EDIT: make sure to set the cart to be pushed, not guided! This will NOT work with guided Carts
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 02:04:04 pm by nuget102 »
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 02:41:46 pm »

- DFHack provides the functionality to change track stop dumping using the 'q' menu. Vanilla requires deconstruction and reconstruction with the desired dumping direction.
- You forgot the important step of setting up what goods the track stop should load into the cart. It's reached via the <ENTER> key of the route stop (typically immediately after deleting all departure conditions).
- Wheelbarrows can be loaded into the minecart regardless of what the settings of the target stockpile are as the track stop simply dumps items and does not care if there's a stockpile there or not (such as e.g. a chute down into magma for garbage disposal), and wheelbarrows can be loaded into minecarts even if neither the target stockpile nor the route stop allows wheelbarrows. In fact, when the target stockpile does not allow wheelbarrows they're hauled back to the feeder stockpile to be loaded into the mincart again in an eternal loop (can be blocked by forbidding the wheelbarrows).
- It's not required to place the feeder stockpile(s) beside the track stop, but it's usually a good idea.
- No, as you said, there should be no departure conditions for the route stop, and that means there is nothing to define any kind of propulsion. Even so, the dumping function is a function of the track stop, not the route stop, so I very much doubt departure conditions have any effect on the dumping (but you don't want the mine cart to be removed from the track stop by any of the methods).

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 04:51:53 pm »

Why unclutter?

Just build a 9*9 stone stockpile for non-economic stone around any workshop that needs stone, and have it set to fill with wheelbarrows. That will take care of any stone needs.
Any rocks in the way can be shifted away automatically during construction, or just hidden.

Economic stones can be quantum-dumped by minecart.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.