Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mom Plays Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1775 times)

sandree

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Mom Plays Dwarf Fortress
« on: August 25, 2017, 07:04:30 pm »

I wanted to share an article I wrote about my son getting me hooked on playing Dwarf a Fortress. Another perspective:) I always wonder if there are other Moms out there playing.

http://zenergyaw.com/blog/playing-dwarf-fortress-in-wimpy-mom-mode

Sandree

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: Mom Plays Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 09:01:20 am »

Really cool! I'm actually a bit surprised that you got into this game. We have a mom now on this sinking boat that is Bay12...
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 08:49:48 am »

There is a tradition of running one’s fort in a gleefully bloodthirsty and morally derelict fashion.

Ain't that the truth... In one of my brothers forts, he had a livestock farm in an evil region where he was breeding hundreds of grazing animals, and then starving them in a pasture zone directly over a bunch of cage traps. In a few in game years, he had amassed an army of undead bunnies.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 12:02:54 pm »

Well, just because you could doesn't mean you should... I think a lot of the odd behaviors that caused players to benefit from wanton cruelty (like the threat of fort-destroying tantrum spirals which was countered by traumatizing children so they grew up stoics) have been toned down or removed, so playing the despot is basically pointless tradition at this point.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Hero Saga Setup: 96%. Other stuff Paused.
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 11:03:29 pm »

I enjoyed your article. That's great you gave it a shot. And a pleasant surprise you liked it.
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 09:11:16 am »

Good to see you like it, I'm terrible at the game myself. If you want to stay a while here, please do. Feel free to share a story or two, have a chat with various mad sxientists, and, if possible, laugh maniacally at the incompetence of your own dwarves.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 10:08:50 am »

Hi,

Nice to see a new player. You know, it's difficult to explain this game to anyone really, with its insane backwards learning curve and all. I'm glad you have fun with it.

Come around and stay a while. The people here are actually pretty ok for the most part.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 04:49:14 pm »

Heartwarming story. I love the idea that Dwarf Fortress can be played in a soft, non confrontational way for people that are not competitively-minded. I usually think of DF as a very gritty world full of violence, thanks for reminding me it can also be enjoyed as a peaceful game. I'd build a fort on the seaside, one day

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 06:18:34 pm »

I wonder how hard it would be to build a mod that removed all possibility of death.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 06:56:42 pm »

I mean you can die even in the Sims, so I guess it's not necessary
Also you cant really remove death by fps  :D

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 08:03:57 pm »

I wonder how hard it would be to build a mod that removed all possibility of death.
Impossible. Fall damage is the only one I can think of that couldn't be circumvented. Other than that, though...
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 08:06:23 pm »

Impossible. Fall damage is the only one I can think of that couldn't be circumvented. Other than that, though...
I dunno... I know I've heard of one guy that modded in indestructible puffballs that couldn't be killed via any means. So if I can find that again, then a start is there.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 12:24:14 am »

I dunno... I know I've heard of one guy that modded in indestructible puffballs that couldn't be killed via any means. So if I can find that again, then a start is there.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110811.msg3339829#msg3339829

Found the ye olde post after digging, and they can be killed by atomsmashing, obsidianizing/freezing, caveins, and also butchery. Bridges, caveins, and butchery can be modded out (caveins can be turned off). You're right, fall damage is circumventable, but obsidian is the unremovable end-all to anything that moves.

And half the things that don't.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Nopal

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 01:19:20 pm »

<Deleted>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 10:07:49 pm by Nopal »