Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making Companions/Adventures NOT Be Chickens  (Read 1026 times)

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making Companions/Adventures NOT Be Chickens
« on: October 06, 2017, 04:12:06 am »

Is there a way to keep Adventurers in NPC mode from being chickens? For example, I had one who had killed hundreds or thousands of goblins, trolls, etc. etc., and when I went to recruit him, he still commonly fled from even small numbers of foes, as well as him often not becoming aggressive towards enemies to the point of fleeing, or even standing still and not dodging.

I tried even recruiting a fairly large group.

I don't get it.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Making Companions/Adventures NOT Be Chickens
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 05:30:29 am »

well for starters they really don't want to go on massive killing sprees and personally start feeling distraught over murder and will cry.
if you talk to someone over their moods they probably show this. though when they start crying might not pop up if you happen to do alot of "craft stuff and perform acts." but adventurers npcs are basically how they are and when you control them you don't really control how they feel just what they say and their bodies.

to fix this given when people noticing folks don't run into their sword was to mess with the discipline skill in the creature's raws, though given it's a skill it won't really affect your adventurer given natural skills seem to not transfer when making an adventurer so they will not be accused to war as the rest of their race and start to cry.

so yeah you're possessing some character to go on an adventure
at best give them a crossbows/bows, as while scared they can fire shots while running away.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 08:00:30 am »

Is there a way to keep Adventurers in NPC mode from being chickens? For example, I had one who had killed hundreds or thousands of goblins, trolls, etc. etc., and when I went to recruit him, he still commonly fled from even small numbers of foes, as well as him often not becoming aggressive towards enemies to the point of fleeing, or even standing still and not dodging.

I tried even recruiting a fairly large group.

I don't get it.

No way without modding. The token that controls NPC morale failure is [NOFEAR].

Even if you roll a character who loves fighting, with no sense of fear (not the same as the abovementioned token) and no sense of stress, and has enough of a kill list to "no longer care about anything anymore", that character once turned over to NPC control can still be made to fail a morale roll.

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 08:29:30 am »

Thanks for responses.

SO I assume boot camp in fortress mode can help?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 08:38:53 am »

Thanks for responses.

SO I assume boot camp in fortress mode can help?

Sadly no.

Whether you choose to train up companions in Fort or Adventure Mode, you still end up knocking your forehead against the two things that govern NPC/AI behavior: Pathing and Morale Failure.

Handling any NPC(s) is(are) like herding cats.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 09:41:32 am »

Yes it would. Raising their Discipline will definitely help. Discipline is like any other skill, it grows when it's used. Since you never roll for morale as an adventurer, it stays at zero. Either drill them in fort mode or make them survive enough to grow a pair.
Sure they will never be immune to fear, but having worked with companions that already had military grade discipline level, I never had any problem of them running away.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 09:43:53 am by Cathar »