Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Things to talk about (A possibly useful thread)  (Read 1692 times)

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Things to talk about (A possibly useful thread)
« on: October 08, 2017, 06:54:43 am »

Social stuff matters, at work, anywhere I guess. That means talking. What do you talk about?

Talked to someone about Game of Thrones at work but now it's off season so.... Also, that only has a certain shelflife. GoT is fine, but the concept of shelflife is important, how long can you talk about any given thing? There's the awkward smile when you run out of stuff to talk about..... Not exactly fun.

So, topics that are safe to discuss and if at all possible, interesting? Something to say at work, at school, while socializing, I guess other places and situations too?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Things to talk about (A possibly useful thread)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 01:02:40 pm »

Talk about FORD

F - Family
O - Occupation
R - Recreation
D - Dreams

Avoid RAPE

R - Religion
A - Abortion
P - Politics
E - Economics

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 05:01:18 pm »

Personally, I stay in ORDER.
O - Occupation
R - Recreation
D - Dreams
E - Economics
R - Religion

And I try not to FAP in public.

F - Family
A - Abortion
P - Politics

(Ps. I totally didn't mean for the words to turn out like that, but I'm also super proud.)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:20:51 pm by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 08:18:03 am »

In my opinion Religion and politics is the same thing in 2017.

You can talk to people about whatever you want to talk to them about. We live in a society were relevance is the most important thing, so try to talk about things that are relevant to your audience.

Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 11:53:16 am »

As much as I wish to be able to create beautiful acronyms like my pears, I am only able to suggest the weather. It's nice for small chat with folks you don't know.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 11:58:19 am »

Back when all the hurricanes started rolling about, the weather became a terrifyingly important topic.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 01:35:34 pm »

As much as I wish to be able to create beautiful acronyms like my pears, I am only able to suggest the weather. It's nice for small chat with folks you don't know.

Dude, just talk about how your pears are capable of acronymization. Talking fruit is a great conversation starter in more senses than one.
 :D

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 09:01:15 pm »

I would personally avoid occupation and economics, but that’s me. Seems to be people define others by what they get paid for, which is ridiculous.

You must never discuss sex, politics, or religion with someone you don’t know well. It may work out well sometimes, but that can be rare.

Recreation is a good thing. A guy at work always talks to me about the weather.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 02:38:04 pm »

Df usually has a shelf-life of... eh, about three seconds.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 05:43:54 am »

For the talking to continue, you must have a syringe loaded with powerful topics to inject into your audience.

That said, usually, connecting instead of making rapport makes it easier to people to talk to you. Listen to them. Ask genuine questions why, when, where, how, who did what thing, then you can finally talk about the things you want to talk. Making people feel as if you're open-minded may possibly allow you to discuss usually-taboo topics with them like politics and religion, but so long as you appeal to their opinion and not actively antagonize them.

You can always agree to disagree, instead of disagreeing outright.

Usually, I find idle chatter not useful to me in any format; I usually ask them:

What's up with their lives;
How they're doing;
What tips they can provide me;
Help, if needed;

While interspersing it with emotional connection. The rest is gossip and natter trash, and you're better uninvolved with it. Or sometimes, if you're appealing to a manager, best find your side to avoid politics (aka get involved with gossip, since the other alternative would be you getting the kick if you don't seem like you're siding with anyone).
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 06:15:42 am »

Dude, just talk about how your pears are capable of acronymization. Talking fruit is a great conversation starter in more senses than one.
 :D

Ah, but sadly, though my pears are very sweet, they just don't make good conversation...
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses