Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Travel to New Zealand: reccomendations?  (Read 1467 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Travel to New Zealand: reccomendations?
« on: September 10, 2017, 09:28:25 am »

In a few weeks, I will spend 7 days in New Zealand. So far I booked the flights to and from Auckland, however I haven't finalized plans further than that.
If there is anyone who lives there or has been there, do you have any advice for activities and plans for the northern island, in that number of days?

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
Re: Travel to New Zealand: reccomendations?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 05:29:34 pm »

Come visit me... haha
Are you by yourself? You could bungie jump off the harbor bridge. Visit the island just off Auckland Waiheke thats pretty and has plenty of native flora and a few good resturants and toury things like pressing your own olive oil if thats in season.
You could walk down the CBD and see our housing issues with the homeless. Just don't pity them and give them money as they get handouts at shelters.
If you are just staying in Auckland there is so much to do you can do all the tourist shit if it pleases you. There are great sushi bars everywhere.
Personally the touristy stuff isn't my preferences so I would go enjoy some bands (any that are playing and local) eat the food and decent sea produce, definitely buy some butter if you eat the stuff.
Auckland will have what you are looking for and like if you are just staying there but its quite boring as far as nature. Its just a built over swamp.
Whatever you do enjoy yourself and meet people
××××××××××××××××××

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 06:09:20 pm »

Thanks for the reply!
bungee jumping is definitely out of my list and I would be in the wrong hemisphere for an october olive harvest. I will take the reccomendation on Waiheke island however!
I will also take a point of trying local food since you mention it ( although butter touches a sore spot, since I recently became lactose intolerant.  Not enough to have problems with the occasional ingestion, but a stick of butter hurts).

Yes, I would be travelling alone. My plan so far is to spend a day at the hobbiton set, 2 or 3 days in the waitomo region and some other days in auckland or the auckland region.

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 09:19:20 pm »

Ok so definitely go caving in Waitomo if you like that kind of thing? I love it.
Hobbiton is great I'm pretty sure they have a bar/cafe that you can have your 2nd lunch at. I haven't been there in a few years.
Yeah you can take a ferry in the morning to Waiheke for a day trip and return in the afternoon.
Its just like any country really you have to spend a few months there to get the true feel. People will be good to you if you have an accent though.
Have fun
××××××××××××××××××

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 09:42:52 pm »

Just make sure you try L&P, broo. World famous in New Zealand.   
Oh, and Hell Pizza. Heck yeah. I actually barely remember what the pizza there was like, but I know I enjoyed it a great deal.

Also I would be amiss if I didn't put forth the Bay of Plenty area as one of the most dazzlingly beautiful places one is ever likely to lay eyes on, but then the whole dang island is edged with amazing freakin' bays. Can't speak for the South island, never been there sadly.   

Edit: Caving is also pretty fun, yeah. And just hiking in the hills and rainforests. Man, all those forests... check out some giant kauri trees or whatever, they get quite impressive. The whole place was pretty scenic in my experience, although I spent most of my time away from cities. Auckland... didn't seem all that easy on the eyes, as cities go, but then I didn't see much of it so I wouldn't know.   
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:45:31 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 11:25:22 pm »

Good points yoink! Bay of plenty is amazing white sand beaches.
I live west coast and its all black sand.
The best place imo in the south island is probably the sounds.
Swam with a wild seal so that was amazing.
××××××××××××××××××

Cyne-Wulf

• Bay Watcher
  • Fenrisúlfr shall consume.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 11:31:34 pm »

If you don't mind the smell you could visit the volcanic stuff in Rotorua. Also you can visit the largest crater lake in the world at Taupo.
Only works if you aren't staying at Auckland. Prepare to see the definition of poor city planning. The public transport is alright up there though.
If you like Red Kiwifruit, prepare to be disappointed since as far as I know they aren't sold here, just shipped elsewhere   >:(
My SpaceStory Characters

GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 04:27:02 am »

I am already back from New Zealand, but i did in fact visit roturoa. Quite nice, the smell isn't that bad(although i have seen far more volcanoes than rotten eggs, so i don't associate that smell with bad food automatically).
It is impressive how you just walk around the city and you can see steam emerging from pretty much everywhere.

Cyne-Wulf

• Bay Watcher
  • Fenrisúlfr shall consume.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 05:26:23 am »

Okay, hope you enjoyed your visit, lol.
My SpaceStory Characters

GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.