Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Procedurally Generated Dungeons  (Read 806 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Procedurally Generated Dungeons
« on: October 10, 2017, 05:47:30 pm »

Having went through a vault a while back, I was thinking - it would be great for adventure mode if we had more procedural dungeons like that, with other rewards, i.e armories full of high-quality armor, or a chamber with an artifact weapon.

There could be different flavours to this, of course - ruined castles where you have to pull levers or find keys to proceed (maybe guarded by monsters or a specific "stronger" monster having one on their person), intact shrines where you have go downward into the catacombs to proceed, etc. etc.

This could potentially be useful for modders too, with the proper tokens allowing creatures to be parts of potential "sets" of creatures that appear in the dungeon.

For example, for ogres they could have something like [DUNGEON_ENEMY:BRUTE_GROUP:RARE] - BRUTE_GROUP would be like GENERAL_POISON for CREATURE_CLASS - definable by modders - RARE is the hypothetical rarity modifier. This would mark them as enemies that would show up rarely as "stronger" enemies alongside other, weaker ones of the same "group".
Equipment would be randomized from all possible ones I suppose, and appropriately sized for the creatures in question - as long as they also have the EQUIPS token - otherwise they'll appear without armor or weapons similarly to "servant" angels. Any creature could potentially be a dungeon enemy with the appropriate group defined. More than 1 group could be defined for each creature, same for bosses - also ALL could be a valid stand-in for the group token, that would allow the creature to potentially appear with any group.

A giant, ettin or cyclops could be marked as [DUNGEON_BOSS:BRUTE_GROUP:1] - they'd appear as the potential "boss" of the dungeon with the appropriate group, guarding the main treasure chamber (as opposed to archangels which can appear anywhere within the dungeon). The number would indicate how many of them would be present - i.e [DUNGEON_BOSS:BRUTE_GROUP:2] would indicate a pair of them would show up. Same equipment principles apply to the bosses as they do with enemies.

If more than one "boss" creature would have the same "group", it'd pick one at random for each dungeon with the same monster group, so you wouldn't have, lets say, an ettin, two cyclopes and a giant showing up all at once because they share the same tokens.

There could also be several other tokens dictating behavior - i.e something like [USE_ARTIFACT] for the bosses, which would make them use an artifact weapon (if more than 1 could possibly spawn at the same time, only one would use an artifact weapon or armor - the others would just have random quality ones same as other enemies).

In terms of worldgen, you could have potential stuff relating to the dungeons, i.e "In the year 80, the Cyclops Killsmash stole the adamantine sword The Grave of Blood and retreated to the ruined fortress of Shipkilled", then later "In the year 80, the Cyclops Killsmash enlisted a warband of trolls, ogres and tiger men to help guard his treasure." World-gen adventurers attempts would also be recorded.

Think thats about it - any thoughts?

UristMcArmok

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Procedurally Generated Dungeons
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 05:53:04 pm »

THis would be quite nice. Perhaps the armory is guarded by chained creatures or traps beneath the loot tile. Or better yet, bars close behind you when the artifact/loot is taken, and you need to put an item equal to or heavier than the object that was displayed.

Everything else seems very well thought out.
When in doubt, Succeed from the union.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 02:14:26 am »

There would need to be some point of origin for the dungeon though, like an abandoned fortress or necropolis.
What I find a nuisance is the lack of overall structure with too many random corridors and dead-ends in the current generated fortresses / temples and dungeons under the towns.
I think the introduction of more types of rooms is what is needed within these generated structures, to be connected in some reasonable order.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 02:46:54 am »

Dungeons to actively trod through is on the dev-notes under exploration/exploratory roles.

Procedurally i don't know, i mean the possible locations would have to be pre-generated in a particular order, but then there's additional things like in what order its generated and whether it clips against deep subterrain or generic town subterrain (sewers/catacombs etc) or is completely its own structure

• Separate to all that, [BRUTE_GROUP] in could support as a replacement to [EVIL] entity tag's ability to enlist semi-intelligents and instead make them target creatures of that group with the applied tools in the artifact update to single out types of creatures.
[DUNGEON_FREQUENCY]  or something might also cover the numerical values of how many creatures appear rather than your brute suggestion on per average.

Alternative lair structure? creatures without defined lairs taking up residence in dungeon locations (so some dungeon exclusive monsters and more are generated) like the minotaur's maze, [LAIR:DUNGEON(Type):DUNGEON_BOSS] to signal that they are the main occupant and the rest of the monsters are just tagged along for casual occupancy of the site separate to the main sealed room where most of the valuable treasure is.

Or are at-least factionally all on the same page and won't attack each other on site. No dungeon corrosive slimes (made out of acid) killing the main boss prematurely, and skeletons remain unrattled.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 02:53:49 am by FantasticDorf »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 03:29:08 am »

The BRUTE_GROUP thing I mentioned was meant to act as a monster set that could be definable by modders and not a token in and of its own with hardcoded effects, in a similar vein as the GENERAL_POISON creature class. So for my example the cyclops, troll, ogre and tiger man would be marked with that group - whereas, lets say, a dragon, a reptile man, and humans could have their monster set be called DRAGON_GROUP, so they wouldn't appear in the same dungeons as the ogres, trolls and cyclopes unless you'd add the same monster set for them.

Making a creature only appear in certain types of dungeons would be good though.