Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: We want trumpets!  (Read 1732 times)

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
We want trumpets!
« on: October 08, 2017, 11:21:20 am »

So randomly generated music instrument. Awesome, right? Yup. Toady, you built an awesome system that creates fun and interesting instruments.

But from a story perspective it might be kinda bad. See, a trumpet have a lot of emotional context to a player. Being the best trumpet player in the world sounds awesome. We can easily imagine it. It naturally awake emotions cause we have experiences connected to that instrument. But there is no emotions connected to vimes. If I tell someone how my character is a legendary vime player it does no awakens the same kind of imagery and emotion.

Oh, its a lot of fun to come up with what a given generated instrument looks like and work. But take dragons and forgotten beasts. The forgotten beast are cool. But they do not hold the sway a dragon have. I constantly try to capture and breed dragons. I want to tame them, to ride them. But forgotten beasts are just beasts that needs to be dealt with. They are dangerous and scary, but they do not hold the same emotional investment as dragons.

I do love all these systems and sometimes I want it all generated. But sometimes I want things I am familiar with. So what I suggest is that we are given option to decide the degree we want something to reflect real life or be generated. So when set closest to real life it only generates real life variants. When set fartest it completely generates everything. In the middle it may do both, or use real life names and use real life example as basis that then generate a bit variation on those as templates.

And not just for music instruments but also for any other procedually generated aspect of the game. Like werebeasts. It can go from only werewolfs to any imaginable were-entity. And whose only weakness is silver to random material weakness, to completely random weakness. And perhaphs also generate the trigger for transformation.
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: We want trumpets!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 04:03:46 pm »

pretty sure you can mod in specific instruments, such as a trumpet.  You could even set it up so it is made of brass.  What I am not sure of is if it will be included in generated musical forms.  Ask in the modding forum.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 05:59:35 pm »

So what I suggest is that we are given option to decide the degree we want something to reflect real life or be generated.

As can be seen on the upcoming developments page of the main site, this is already one of Tarn's long-term hopes for the game. Hard to say whether musical instruments will be part of it, but at this stage anything's possible.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 06:02:38 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 09:18:07 am »

I sort of hope that toady can come to a sort of compromise where basic normal world instruments appropriate for the tags (trumpet, basic drums etc) are defined first, then start generating additional instrumental forms on-top of those.

Or keep the baseline instruments separate to the generated instrument tags in a manner similar to how we handle tools & weapons on the entity page.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 12:36:32 pm »

What he should really do, instead of saying "this is a Schlickum, a brass instrument with 3 valves and a bone blowhole," it should say "this is a Schlickum Horn, a brass instrument with-" blah blah blah, it's a horn, I've stopped reading now. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.