Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Having multiple forts with various different purposes.  (Read 1469 times)

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
Having multiple forts with various different purposes.
« on: October 15, 2017, 09:06:35 am »

In DF talk #22, Toady One was thinking about if you were assigned a goal for your fort (eg. A throne room that your monarch commanded certain furniture for, or a temple with god/goddess-given instructions at a temple to a priest), but what if you can choose from a long list of reasons to make a fort and then you can go back to other forts you’ve already made?

Some assorted ideas:

- A menu from which you can choose what you want to make
- Some option for a normal fort, maybe even just Fortress
- When the economy kicks in, you can deliver money between your forts, and maybe also have a new “vault” to store your rising and falling fortunes!
- Toady thought of an Inn, so multiple inns can be useful, and you can set a price to stay.
- Markets which is sent stuff by your many forts and sent back some wealth
- Also the ability to send a caravan out as well as stuff happening to them in the world, eg if they’re ambushed and destroyed the outpost liaison tells you why it never returned
- Giant subterranean temples
- having many, many outpost liaisons (1 for each civ) and the dwarven ones stay even if their monarch leaves (this is so you can send your own liaisons), and if you’re not visiting a Fortress and something bad happens, the appointed liaison rushes to your fort to tell you this.
- Another thing, maybe you need to use travel time to go to each fort, meaning that seiges could be finished with your jail and have already released all the prisoners if you put it too far away from your roadside inn
- Bandit camps should secretly hide in your land and you would have to send a patrol to where you’ve spotted one.
- What would dwarves be if they had no dedicated mine shafts? Also implement the monster hunter visitors to come and look through your caves, and keep a margin/demand payment.

Edit: more ideas

- The ability to copy the symbol, since they’re part of the same group
- Special occupations, some which can only work at certain types of forts, like wardens (central jails)
- Something to truly live up to the “Slaves to Armok” part (HFS worshippers and sacrifice chambers)
- Training animals, like birds, to deliver mail between civilizations, and similar to liaisons, deliver important messages for you to travel to your goblin-menaced palace
- Dwarves buying their own mail birds to contact their relatives (please, no Twitter jokes, they’re unbearable)
- Possibly being able to control a single adventurer at the same time as your dwarven empire, and said adventurer being extremely well-known among your dwarves (adv would likely have to be the same race)
- Dwarves in your empire traveling to and back from market forts to buy stuff, most likely when economy returns

- Outposts to give directions and house (for a shorter time than inns) travelers and adventurers
- Fishing and farming villages to supply food
- Wizardry towers for the new magic stuff coming up
- Temples for forgotten beasts, maybe for the sacrifice chambers
- Castle towns, which you could think of as “mini DF forts”
- Normal towns, I guess
- Magical towns, just all sorts of towns
- Military bases, where armies train
- Places built just to access the underworld, only unlockable after a lot more wealth and dwarves in your empire.

- Of course, other civilizations, such as humans and elves, should have these options too (although worldgen already gives them some), and builds them accordingly.

- Maximum embark sizes per Fortress type, eg 6x6 for mines but 3x3 for outposts
- Fortresses being discontinued by leaders if they’re doing bad/not even trying to do the right job
- A world size one step larger: 513x513 worlds, for the overseers wanting to truly go big or go home

Any more ideas are welcome, as well as criticism and feedback and all that stuff
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 10:34:41 pm by ShinyandKittens »
No amount of mods is too much

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Having multiple forts with various different purposes.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 10:04:53 am »

DF talk 22 is 3 years old, check the date. Also, multiple forts are already implemented with reclaim/retire -- you work on a fort for a while, you retire it, you go to another fort or adventurer, retire that, and reclaim your first fort.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I dislike being assigned a specific goal by the game. I want to do what I want to do when I start a fort. If I want to accomplish a goal, I just make sure I accomplish it; I don't need validation from the game.

Additionally, with advanced worldgen you can make the world size (and a lot of other parameters) as big or small as you want.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:07:43 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 01:56:20 pm »

I think rebellion from unhappiness for bad overseers is planned, but presently you're not forced into being a slave to the mountainhome's desires, yeah.

Lot of the other stuff you can kinda simulate with RP; community games examples: food settlement - Breadbowl, fulfilling trade agreements - Atolasob, places to access the underworld - several, vanilla there's goblin slade fortress in particular though that is the other way around, mineshafts with minecarts - DF together, sacrificial shrines to megabeasts - several, etc...

Did you meant that the regular, worldgen dwarves would be doing these things, projects, forts?
Additionally, with advanced worldgen you can make the world size (and a lot of other parameters) as big or small as you want.
Still limited to the standard 17/33/65/127/256 options; need hackery to go smaller (or bigger. I don't think anybody with the know-how has ever thought 257x257 too small, or that anyone in general managed to make full use of 257 world. Then again, I'm pocket world aficionado :v).

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 05:08:52 pm »

DF talk 22 is 3 years old, check the date. Also, multiple forts are already implemented with reclaim/retire -- you work on a fort for a while, you retire it, you go to another fort or adventurer, retire that, and reclaim your first fort.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I dislike being assigned a specific goal by the game. I want to do what I want to do when I start a fort. If I want to accomplish a goal, I just make sure I accomplish it; I don't need validation from the game.

1. I know that the  DF talk is old
2. I was thinking you assigned your own goal during embark, but the diplomat can deem your fort unworthy anyway
3. Thanks for telling me that, 1000 tile worlds are in my power now :P

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 08:50:45 pm »

They aren't. It's limited to 17/33/67/129/257 I think.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 09:08:29 pm »

They aren't. It's limited to 17/33/67/129/257 I think.

Some other guy said it was settable in advanced settings...
(But he lied/didn’t know)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 09:53:38 pm »

Yeah, standard dims expect for non-rectangular options, unless willing to use dfhack or cheatengine.

||

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(Could embark, but didn't run to caravan & given I got DF crashes with this in generating more often than successful worlds I doubt the stability of it.)

((There's also some data stored elsewhere for simple worldgens and for in-progress worldgen, didn't try those.))
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 09:56:11 pm by Fleeting Frames »