Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to remove cavern from game?  (Read 2047 times)

fourtytwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to remove cavern from game?
« on: October 09, 2017, 11:32:55 pm »

Is there a easy way to remove the caverns from game with minimal side effects?
Like dwarves quickly going extinct because they never discovered plump helmets?

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: How to remove cavern from game?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 12:09:18 am »

You can actually get cavernless or at least reduced cavern regions by messing with the custom world/region editor settings.  I think if you turn up the vulcanism really high, you'll get magma relatively close to the surface, so there's no room for the cavern levels. 

Other than that, there's no modding way to prevent caverns from forming.  You could make caverns empty by removing all the raws for underground creatures and plants, but there would still be giant empty spaces deep underground. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 01:03:57 am »

You can actually get cavernless or at least reduced cavern regions by messing with the custom world/region editor settings.  I think if you turn up the vulcanism really high, you'll get magma relatively close to the surface, so there's no room for the cavern levels. 

Other than that, there's no modding way to prevent caverns from forming.  You could make caverns empty by removing all the raws for underground creatures and plants, but there would still be giant empty spaces deep underground.
Cavern layers=0 in advanced worldgen is all you need, isn't it? That'll disable dwarves according to the wiki though, so the answer's still no.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 09:27:23 am »

Cavern layers=0 in advanced worldgen is all you need, isn't it? That'll disable dwarves according to the wiki though, so the answer's still no.

I don't know if dwarves would go extinct per se, but another side effect would be the complete lack of underground plants and grasses.

If Caverns bother you a lot (They do me as well) I find setting Cavern Layers = 1 to help quite a bit, it condenses all the caverns into one hodgepodge.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 03:04:16 pm »

I don't know if dwarves would go extinct per se, but another side effect would be the complete lack of underground plants and grasses.

If Caverns bother you a lot (They do me as well) I find setting Cavern Layers = 1 to help quite a bit, it condenses all the caverns into one hodgepodge.
It won't disable dwarves, but it will disable every single underground plant and creature. Magma and the underworld are different settings, so they can be toggled independently of the caves.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 03:16:38 pm »

If you disable the caves, just make sure you mod the dwarven entity to allow for aboveground farming, that will prevent the disable(dying out of dwarves) in worldgen. This issue happens with CARNIVORE races too, hence why Goblins have NO_EAT