Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: One hidden fun stuff area (Spoilers maybe)  (Read 2473 times)

srifenbyxp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
One hidden fun stuff area (Spoilers maybe)
« on: October 10, 2017, 04:13:28 pm »

So a while back I read somewhere that there was an area where I guess the soul of a hero would be in a area guarding an artifact, maybe a sword, spear, axe, ETC. Its not a vault but I think it's in or near hell, if anyone knows what I'm talking about mind telling me at actual name of the area? Or was I drunk when reading the wiki.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: One hidden fun stuff area (Spoilers maybe)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 05:30:54 pm »

You're speaking of DF2012 Spoileric Fortresses, which were 1 embark tile size structures occurring once per 16x16 embark tiles. They don't exist in v. 0.40+, as the line placing them in-game was commented out.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 07:07:27 pm »

You're speaking of DF2012 Spoileric Fortresses, which were 1 embark tile size structures occurring once per 16x16 embark tiles. They don't exist in v. 0.40+, as the line placing them in-game was commented out.

And we'll never even know why, because he doesn't either.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 08:15:55 pm »

the line

Only one line to create them? That is incredibly terse.
Hmm, maybe it was that line of code that Scamps wrote.

Regardless, these fortress seem pretty interesting.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:27:41 pm by Eschar »

srifenbyxp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 08:05:45 am »

Thanks for the link, but has the fun zone been actually removed? Ver 43.05 says it was removed 40.01, id download 40.01 but I like my features in 43.05.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 08:27:54 am »

Thanks for the link, but has the fun zone been actually removed? Ver 43.05 says it was removed 40.01, id download 40.01 but I like my features in 43.05.
They are gone. You'd need to download 34.11 (i.e DF 2012) to get them back. At which point you're basically playing a different game. But check them out anyhow. Or wait a year or 3 for Mythgen at which point they'll be obsolete, replaced with whatever the HFS are due to be replaced with.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 01:18:37 pm »

Its seems likely that the code for *how* to create them would be rather more complex, but the code for "include this thing (defined elsewhere) in worldgen, and this and that and that and these" could easily look like a list with a single item per line.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 05:01:58 am »

Once they have a reason to exist, maybe it'd be nice to rework them a little and bring them back along with the 'special amphibian clown' who sits inside a little hollow cave who could be guarding something.

My money is this will be more of a consideration when the mythgen arrives, if the RE:title's subject has any kind of significance there for establishing it in the world then losing it (ancient race etc.) or sending out that 'clown' as a guardian to defend a heavenly relic. More random sites like that could also be on the cards by the time we start delving into explorer & dungeon features in like 2+ years time.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 10:22:48 pm »

Its seems likely that the code for *how* to create them would be rather more complex, but the code for "include this thing (defined elsewhere) in worldgen, and this and that and that and these" could easily look like a list with a single item per line.
Exactly. Chances are it's possible to edit save files to put them back in, as with human fortresses. It's a just a matter of finding the right values. They're presumably landmarks, like streams and roads and volcanoes and whatnot, which means there's little to no in-game documentation to go on.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 10:49:55 pm »

Exactly. Chances are it's possible to edit save files to put them back in, as with human fortresses. It's a just a matter of finding the right values. They're presumably landmarks, like streams and roads and volcanoes and whatnot, which means there's little to no in-game documentation to go on.

I don't think he created them with one line. My understanding is he wrote a separate function to create them, and commented out the line that called the function. The function is still there somewhere in the executable -- perhaps if we find it and create a script that calls it when worldgen is running, we could add them back in?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 06:27:55 am »

I don't think he created them with one line. My understanding is he wrote a separate function to create them, and commented out the line that called the function. The function is still there somewhere in the executable -- perhaps if we find it and create a script that calls it when worldgen is running, we could add them back in?
That's more or less what I'm saying. DFHack could probably do that, although save-file editing would probably be easier.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 07:24:26 am »

One line to create them all, One line to guide them, One line to place them all and in the darkness hide them.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 10:24:40 am »

The function is still there somewhere in the executable
Well, a good compiler should remove unused clutter like comments. If the function is there somewhere, microsoft's visual studio is sloppy.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 10:31:12 am »

I'm not saying the function was commented out -- I'm saying the line *calling* the function was commented out.

Though actually, the compiler might optimize the function away if it isn't referenced anywhere else in the code...

I don't actually know much about disassembling, but I suppose you'd be able to at least see all the names of the functions in the code?

So we could do a few searches and we might be able to find out if it remained.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 05:49:19 pm »

One line to create them all, One line to guide them, One line to place them all and in the darkness hide them.
It was really the commenting that hid them. [/pedantic-nerd]
Pages: [1] 2