Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Documentation on armor/weapon misc materials?  (Read 1805 times)

joaodosgrao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Documentation on armor/weapon misc materials?
« on: October 10, 2017, 07:31:53 pm »

I've been looking, but can't find documentation on rock/glass/gem materials in comparison to metal armors/weapons.

Embarked and found only gold and zinc :P

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Documentation on armor/weapon misc materials?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 07:35:20 pm »

Rock weapons are best for bashing, while glass & gem should be used for stabbing things.  As for armor value; they are slightly worse than copper, but better than nothing :-X

joaodosgrao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 11:52:28 pm »

So, armor definitely is not worth it :P
I mean, copper already sucks hard, and gems are good for increasing furniture value, so it is kind of a waste. Would expect gem gear to be at least bronze level.

Thanks for the info :)

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 07:23:15 pm »

What about slade armor?  :D

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 06:44:20 am »

What about slade armor?  :D

very heavy... as tough as steel but weight will make your units less likely to pull off dodges and slower to strike.... I've used it.   The Worst part with rock gear and glass gear and all the rest of the "strange material" armor... it wasn't implemented very well...  Instead of creating Fake "metals" to replace the original its pulling information from the inorganic:XXXX which is generates horrible gear ... since most stone doesn't have all the necessary data to really create armor...  since these materials don't have the data needed the new gear wont be picked up normally, because the units actually see these items as having 0 stats in many cases (which brings me to my next point).

The armors usually don't have enough stats to be as good as even copper... the only thing they have going for them is usually density and occasionally because they have a high fracture rate they are considered "sharp" but because of the other missing values, units have to be forced to wear Glass, Rock, or Gem armors.  Its more of the fact there is missing values than the fact the material is strange... I did test this theory at one point by adding the metal:steel data to granite and spitting out granite armor that the units who saw it would pick up.  They even would show a preference for it over weaker than steel materials, even though they avoided it when steel was present... I'm guessing due to the weight of the granite compared to weight of steel.  So thats all the problems... If we was going to really do this and implement this correctly we really need to add a bunch data to all the inorganics that we wanted too use... or create fake materials and do a switch when creating them (I would think that just having a singular "Gem Material", "Stone Material" etc for each set of gear. 

In the end it was a great idea... but it has a long way to go!
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

joaodosgrao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 10:17:44 pm »

Well, I guess the best alternative is to start with 7 iron bars, 3 pig iron and 3 flux stones so I can get a crucible running early (since I have always found, at least, cobalt)
For some reason, I get iron ores as stone on some embarks, and others not (even on the same world)
Too bad these miscellaneous materials are not worth it, they are a nice addition.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 10:45:23 pm by joaodosgrao »

coolphoton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 10:19:05 pm »

Didn't everything but stone have the full set of stats in 34x? Was it not moved over to 40x?

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 08:34:36 am »

I din't play 34 or know the difference between 34 and 40.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal