Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Easy way to find waterfalls?  (Read 1118 times)

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Easy way to find waterfalls?
« on: October 11, 2017, 02:58:29 pm »

Been looking for a waterfall, have embarked a few times on ground I figured would have one to no avail.

Suggestions?

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Easy way to find waterfalls?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 03:15:12 pm »

Creating a new world with better X/Y Elevation Variance. Hope this does it.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 03:19:24 pm »

Easiest way to find is a a place two rivers cross with different elevations for the rivers.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 03:46:25 pm »

Easiest way to find is a a place two rivers cross with different elevations for the rivers.

Will try find this, thanks.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 03:32:21 am »

There should be a waterfall everywhere an embark has a stream that passes through terrain with two different elevations (the elevation differences can be seen on one of the TAB views pre embark).
You can also build it yourself using the Region Manipulator script http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164136.0 if you're using DFHack.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 08:37:18 pm »

I got one, a nice drop there to the fork in the river.
Made a pressure plate bridge for attacking armies, just finishing off the flooring so trees don't overgrow.

3 waterwheels at the bottom for powering a bridge pump/switch and some other things once I get going ;)

The actual waterfall is a little off-screen to the south, it drops water into that canyon from the south..

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:39:05 pm by thefinn »

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 02:20:14 pm »

on the embark screen hit tab a few times until you can see the elevation of the zone you are embarking on, then just look for a river/lake/brook that
is going through different elevations.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 10:57:33 am »

How tall can waterfalls be?

I was thinking of building a dam, but that's not really doable if it only dips 1 z-level every several tiles.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 12:02:06 pm »

How tall can waterfalls be?

I was thinking of building a dam, but that's not really doable if it only dips 1 z-level every several tiles.
As tall as the map is deep, essentially. That, obviously, requires DFHacking (such as Region Manipulator). River* level changes are abrupt, i.e. there is a drop at the mid level tile boundary which is as deep as the river elevation difference (which are [almost?] always the same as the mid level tile elevations, but without the gradual transition.

River* = Brook, Stream, Minor River, River, or Major River.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 01:53:16 pm »

Yeah, while it seems possible if you have 3+ rivers on an embark I've never seen a waterfall that goes into another waterfall fitting within a single embark.