Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do the levers work?  (Read 735 times)

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
How do the levers work?
« on: October 12, 2017, 10:38:26 am »

Considering i'm still pretty new to dwarf fortress.What are some things I can do with Levers and How?

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
Re: How do the levers work?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 11:42:26 am »

Once you have a lever you can connect it to various things.
To connect something to a lever you need a lever, 2 mechanisms and a dwarf with the mechanic labor enabled.
Stuff connected to a lever can be opened/closed or turned on/off remotely by pulling said lever.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 12:00:05 pm »

DF2014:Lever - Dwarf Fortress Wiki explains details and what you can connect levers to.

By far the most common use is connecting lever to a raising bridge, though, as it can't be destroyed by trolls and such while blocking off enemies, sight and water alike.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 08:30:09 am »

By far the most common use is connecting lever to a raising bridge, though, as it can't be destroyed by trolls and such while blocking off enemies, sight and water alike.
And magma. Don't forget magma.

On second thought, blocking magma can lead to !!Fun!! so maybe that was an intentional thing. Hm.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 10:54:59 am »

Intentional. Sometimes it's alright to use wooden raising or retracting bridge to block magma, other times not, didn't feel like specifying or going into the other temperature or flinging or crushing options with bridges.