Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Forbidden City, Dwarf Fortress project  (Read 4018 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Forbidden City, Dwarf Fortress project
« on: October 12, 2017, 01:54:46 am »

The Forbidden City, Dwarf Fortress project is inspired by a top view image.
The image is 1280 x 1280 pixels, and divides into: 80x80 squares, and a total of 16x16 squares.
Spoiler: top view grid (click to show/hide)

Dwarf Fortress local map is 16x16 squares, however, it is not prudent to embark on the entire 16x16, so breaking the project into smaller embarks will make it a manageable.

A world-generated smaller region, on a flat area over a temperate woodland biome will be ideal for a multi-embark project. 

I just have to plan out how to break the embarks with consideration to the 5 tile map edges that do not allow building constructions except for roads or floors.

World gen parameters taken from Fleeting  Frames’ Bay12 DF 43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread post.

I need a local map that is all flat 0 elevation. Mostly temperate biome with trees.  No brook, stream, river, nor lake.  Aquifer is ok.  Gold, iron, and flux.  I’m sure it can be customized some more, but I just need something to start with.

Spoiler: local map gif (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: building names (click to show/hide)
Next, I need the Forbidden City buildings references to research.  This image lists around 85 items of interests.
Spoiler: project list (click to show/hide)

Project 1. The Meridian Gate

The south of Forbidden City seems sparse of buildings, and the middle where The Meridian Gate will fit in a 2x2 embark, so this is a good first project.
Spoiler: 2x2 or 4x2 embark? (click to show/hide)

This image provides details that can be put in terms of Dwarf Fortress scale.
Spoiler: df scale (click to show/hide)

And here’s a dig plan for the footprint of buildings and walls that is a bit larger than a 1x1 embark, or 48x48 tiles. 
Spoiler: dig plan ver.1 (click to show/hide)

So, it will take some adjusting to double so it fits within in a 2x2 with allowances for map edges.

However, there are side ramps that need to be taken into account, so the embark may be enlarged to 4 wide x 2 high instead.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: The Forbidden City, Dwarf Fortress project
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 02:17:15 am »

Oho, you're going ahead with this aren't you?

Hm. That's an..unique naming sense.

Considerations:

You might need overlapping embrks to make walls contigious.

You also migt not want to embark on a tile entirely of water.

I'm not sure if the first and last column are part of the city?

And jeez, that quick and dirty worldgen is like the most popular thing I've made somehow :v You might want to gen it in 43.03 to keep same neighbours, btw, since I see the presumably 43.05 gen you did has no towers and goblins not placed in their evil square.

You also might want to use region-manipulator to    add a river that follows the exact same path on flat ground. Or not *shrug*

Hm....

The Meridian gate seems to be second biggest single structure, it looks like.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 02:48:06 am »

Overly big, Overly Complex, Overly Time Consuming... sounds like a mega-project to me. PTW, I love things like this^^
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 12:45:39 pm »

Oho, you're going ahead with this aren't you?

Hm. That's an..unique naming sense.

Considerations:

You might need overlapping embrks to make walls contigious.

You also migt not want to embark on a tile entirely of water.

I'm not sure if the first and last column are part of the city?

And jeez, that quick and dirty worldgen is like the most popular thing I've made somehow :v You might want to gen it in 43.03 to keep same neighbours, btw, since I see the presumably 43.05 gen you did has no towers and goblins not placed in their evil square.

You also might want to use region-manipulator to    add a river that follows the exact same path on flat ground. Or not *shrug*

Hm....

The Meridian gate seems to be second biggest single structure, it looks like.

I pasted that worldgen in 43.05 with the What Lurks Below mod.  And I heard nasty things can be found even in cavern 1. 

I am interested in the use of region-manipulator to add a stream because a dwarf-made moat will look lame probably. 

Anyway, I am open to the idea of using dfhack tile types to create needed walls on map edge.  But I will still spend time thinking how to break apart the entire city and fit it into a 16x16, then split the project into manageable embark projects. 

Lots of options to play with.

Let's say I use up 9,999 embark points from world-gen and bring in whatever colored stone and logs.  If I strictly use above ground initially, I can have mason turning stones to blocks as that seems the most cost efficient way.

I will stick to red stones like Kaolinite and Bauxite.  Othoclase for the yellow/gold rather then smelting gold ores. 

I did a prospect all of the entire 16x16, and there are hematite (red), marble (white), and gold, cinnabar (red). 

I'd love to be able to dfhack a tree or sappling to grow in a certain tile if it exists.  If so, then I do not need to embark in a woodland or forest. 

Anyway, I want to start with Project 1 to get a better idea on the scale of it.  And If I want to get distracted with needing an army for protection.  It would be cool to get Panda-man visitors and reside in the civ.  And migth as well get all the other animal-man from King-fu Panda: Mantis, Tiger, Snake, Crane, and ?.  Is the master a Rat?

Anyway, going off tangent here.  But a tailored world gen would be a bonus. With that natural stream will be awesome.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 01:13:45 pm »

Ah, with a mod there's going to be differences even in 43.03. Well, you might want to try a different history seed so that goblins don't steal spots from humans or dwarves.

Regarding tile types, I think builder provides much neater light gui /hotkey interface for it, though can't do constructed walls (can do smooth ones tho).

You can totally dfhack a tree or sapling. https://dfhack.readthedocs.io/en/stable/docs/Plugins.html#plant

Panda-man visitors? That's fortress defence mod too, I take it.

A tailored world gen I guess would include their civs secluded but with visitors capable of reaching your fort, I guess *shrug*. Though I'm pretty sure you can't replicate that stream without dfhack, as rivers on flat ground don't normally flow that way and the river in the OP is clearly artificial.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 02:23:11 am »

Part 1
A quick look at Legends Viewer, I chose The Door of Guards dwarf civilization.
Spoiler: The Door of Guards (click to show/hide)

The embark size is 4x2 in the south and center of the local map.
Spoiler: 4x2 embark (click to show/hide)

It’s a heavily forested, warm, temperate freshwater swamp with thick vegetation, and surrounded by Joyous Wilds.  There is sand, deep soil, aquifer, shallow metals, deep metals, and flux.

Pop cap 200. Child cap: 20:50. Strict Pop cap: 220. Visitor cap: 100.
Alright, I am committing to start dwarf 20.

Spoiler: The Twenty Founders (click to show/hide)

Fortress Name: The Scarlet Gate
Group Name: The Constructive Workers
Group Symbol: The Roads of Tribute is an image of dwarves and a door.  The dwarves are travelling.  The dwarves are admiring the door.  The dwarves are striking a triumphant pose.

Spoiler: 9,999☼ supplies: (click to show/hide)

So I spent the rest of the evening planning where to construct.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 09:46:42 am »

Hm. That prospect completely lacks bright green. The garnierite you brought with you is all you're getting on that front.

Purple as well.

Looking at that design, I see the chinese aren't big on preventing FPS loss. 1-wide tunnels everywhere.

A thought: It might be neat to mark the site as lair before retiring to prevent item scatter. (So when you do a 16x16 embark for taking it all in with visualizers it's not all messy.)

PS: Probably would be more fitting to move this to community games & stories now.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 10:44:59 am »

12 garnierite will be just for 17 minecarts.   
1 for portable drain in a magma filling station. 16 left for 8 magma workshops:  4 smelters, 2 forges, and 2 glass initially should suffice. 

It's not going to be 1-wide tunnel.  That dig plan shows where walls will be constructed.  So I am opting for 2-wide paths, and 3-wide for the city wall and side ramp. 

I am thinking 2z high for the gates, with 3z high for center gate. 
Then 1z as flooring for the structures above, and decorated with un-roofed fortifications. 

With 2-wide paths, I can can then build up the structure, then figure out how ramps and slanting roofs look in Armok Vision.

I think by the time I am ready to try and embark the entire 16x16 for visual, I would do a bunch of auto-dump destroy on excess stuff. 

p.s. I'll search how to do move thread to Community Games. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:49:21 am by Sanctume »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 10:52:29 am »

Ah, it's wall plan...So wait, you'll have 5x5 rooms with central 3x3 pillar?

Mm...Ultimately, it's biggest outward feature is "being big".

Knickknack room from Harmony of Divine Heaven inside, though.That's going to be fun to detail.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 11:08:42 am »

The 3x3 pillar is more of a visual guide to count how many 5x5s I have. 

The version 1 of the plan, was using 3x3 rooms, but that plan fits inside a 48x48. 
The 16x16 grid image I have for the entire project shows The entire gate fits inside a 2x2 embark or 96x96 tiles. 

This seems the closest I got as far as the size relative to each of the structures. 

I can't quite picture the backside (north) and how the side ramps orient with the city walls. 

Much Google-fu image browsing is still needed. 

But the wall plan is enough to start the embark.  Even though this is Year 2, the "What Lurks Below" mod is unforgiving and can make it "fun" sooner than I expect. 

Still, even if I "abandon the fortress to ruin", the constructions should stay intact.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 02:46:24 pm »

Ah, I see.

Interesting challenges. I don't know how {} the city actually is.

They should, but if you have any unfinished construction orders you'll have to remove them with d-n.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 08:20:49 pm »

Absolutely ridiculous and complex, but if anyone can do it, it'll probably be you, Sanctume.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 06:17:00 pm »

Part 2. Spring, 02

Three wagons heavily laden with cinnabar stones stopped their wedge formation in the middle of a heavily forested swamp.  Architect "Arch" Demi points to the northeast and explain that we will be working on the NE structure and continue down on the East wing of The Meridian Gate.

Noble Magi assumed the positions of expedition leader, manager, broker, and record keeper; and she said that there is no point hauling the stones.  Two masons, a mechanic, 3 carpenters, 2 smelters, and 2 forges are built around the wagon.

Doctor Heali is our medical dwarf wants a hospital with a roof set up soon.

Axe Goldi is our militia commander, and she began training a pair of hunting dogs, and 3 pairs of war dogs.

Farmer Jono went out in the field to gather hemp, strawberries and sun berries.

Farmer Bobo stake out small farm plots to the east, prepare plant stockpiles, and a still.

A room for the barracks, and a library is constructed, although not yet officially assigned.

As soon as trees are cleared, the focus to build the NE structure began.  Six honeymoon suites, and a tavern will be on the ground floor, and private bedrooms will be above.

Some focus went to the south and wall the kitchen, clothing, and leather area. 

A shallow indoor garbage disposal is also being constructed.

Summer, 02

The Red Berries tavern is opened to all visitors on the 25th of Malachite.
Spoiler: Four migrants arrived (click to show/hide)
On the 8th Galena, Tonno has been possessed.  A craftsdwarf workshop is built in the middle of the hallway of the bedroom hall.  A week later, Boltuttered, a plum wood crown is created.

The six honeymoon suites are furnished and waiting to be stocked with drinks, prepared meals and cheeses.

The six couples are selected and assigned to their “honeymoon squads”.

The second floor of the NE structure is roofed and meager offices and bedrooms are awaiting furnitures.

A small portion of the East structure will house a the well and small of hospital.

The stone lining for the garbage disposal and garbage smasher is under construction.

Autumn, 02

Save Forbidden City 02 Autumn

On 14th Limestone, the outpost liaison Urvad Nitigber from Tun Duthnur has arrived.  We asked for cinnabar blocks and stones at the least.  Urvad said that cheese are in great demand for next year.  We traded two barrels of prepared food for more food items, some drinks, cloth, leather, and sheets.

On 27th Limestone,
Spoiler: Nine migrants arrived (click to show/hide)
The Library of Learning is opened to the public on 4th Timber.  Sage Lore is assigned as chief scholar.

Winter, 02

Winter arrives, and the honeymoon suites program starts for the six couples:
Spoiler: Six Honeymoon Squads (click to show/hide)
We also start planning to breach the aquifer.

On 8th Obsidian, Stone Mimi is taken by a fey mood.
Stone Mimi 02.3 Mimi f54 art (crossbow) Stone Craft+5.

On 15th Obsidian, Builder Jake discovered an expansive cavern deep underground, a magma pool, and a great magma sea. 

There are a couple of Amanitarian Brutes in the vicinity. 
Spoiler: Amanitarian Brutes (click to show/hide)
We will just close the hole with a wooden grate and hope it’s enough to secure from any other cavern threats while serving as drain while we seal the aquifer walls.

As the year closes, here is the progress of the honeymoon suites.

Edit: I updated the married names.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:37:42 am by Sanctume »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 06:36:34 pm »

Huh. Startdwarf 20, I guess, lets you plan differently.

The brigt red sure stands out from the grass. Maybe create "sandy" sections later by using old sandy material + young rock boulder for building paved roads that look like sand.

I didn't expect the honeymoon suites or library. Or a mood? Did you get a mood without digging?

Overall, the progress is quite nicely following the outline. Are the walls different colors on different zlevels? If not, could use my construct multiz, though I suppose I should give it an update to use last N buildings as third argument.

And oh, caverns. Guess you did dig after all.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 06:53:32 pm »

Actually, I got a possession in summer, and that is after digging maybe 20 tiles for a 2z garbage chute.

Then, the 2nd is a fey moon in winter, and that is starting to breach the aquifer.  Only 1 layer of aquifer too.

I did not realize it's a somewhat shallow cavern, so I hope that's a plus for saving FPS. 

It's a 4x2 embark, and the magma pipe that did not quite reach the surface but present in cavern 1.

I am thinking slate (light gray) flooring, or maybe a dark gray gabbro.

These building are just temporary, I think.  I am going to play with Armor Vision to look around and see.
IIRC, 1z rooms don't look "grand" because of low ceiling.
And I think I want 2z high walled rooms. 

I started getting flying beast (giant crows and peach-giant faced bird). So I got 3 hunters going.
I'd like to clear cut trees, but I am flooring the murky pools with wood so I can use up wood faster.

I started QSP for leather, cloth, and armor/weapons so far.
Pages: [1] 2