Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Forbidden City, Dwarf Fortress project  (Read 4045 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: The Forbidden City, Dwarf Fortress project
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 07:06:41 pm »

Huh. Wiki says that one is limited by the amount of dug tiles/2304 on stranged moods, so this is somewhat unexpected.

Your experience...is definitely unexpected.

1z aquifer is just a pump+hatch for initial breach :p Could also go for cave-in tho.

For slate vs gabbro, bit depends if going to put something on the floor. If not, I'd say definitely slate to make cinnabar contrast a bit less. But otherwise, I tend to prefer bright buildings on darker floor, so hm.

2z...Guess that means bridge scaffolding.

You could convert trees into ash if you go with dark gray flooring outside or inside. Going to obsidian-cast the pools later on?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 07:43:30 pm »

Yeah, I could have gone cave-in, but I wanted a smaller foot print just in case it's more than 1z layer. 

Isn't the trigger for mood is also based on at least 20 pop?

Scaffoldings on the outside probably.  I am testing an architect powel-levelling.

Support on z+0.  Then a 1x1 bridge to reach the support, and build stairs.
This can then be used to make 1x11 floors, and each adjacent build 1x1 bridge, and can even build 1x1 support on the floor for more Builder Designer exp.

Hmm, obsidian might be a good floor color.  Magma isn't that far away, and I have sand.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 08:13:18 pm »

Can kinda tell from prospect; if you have 4 soil layers and fourth is clay only third is usually aquifer.

Need 20 eligible pop, plus
•     The number of items created divided by 100.1 Mined-out rock does count as an "item created", though it is not clear whether bolts or units of drink are counted individually.
•    The number of revealed subterranean tiles divided by 2304 (this is an area equivalent to a 48x48 square). Once you discover and explore the caverns and magma sea, this limit becomes largely irrelevant, and using a "reveal" utility will eliminate it altogether, though strip-mining an area entirely and exposing it to the surface will count against this.

With the hallways, I was thinking scaffoldings on the inside. But yeah, outside is better (for corners).

If you leave the block-making on build it now, could make the ancillary supports from some bars or sth light. I think it's 500 buildings to reach Legendary, at 30 exp per building. Good a macro works nicely here, though I'm not sure what building materials would be sensible to carry on-site ahead of time for support construction if going for obsidian.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2017, 08:49:58 pm »

Hm. That prospect completely lacks bright green. The garnierite you brought with you is all you're getting on that front.

Purple as well.

Looking at that design, I see the chinese aren't big on preventing FPS loss. 1-wide tunnels everywhere.

A thought: It might be neat to mark the site as lair before retiring to prevent item scatter. (So when you do a 16x16 embark for taking it all in with visualizers it's not all messy.)

PS: Probably would be more fitting to move this to community games & stories now.

Taking in all in with visualizers can run into the 2 gig memory block.  I do an end run around that by creating a mosaic image of each embark in a large img file.  It's how I've gotten the entire 16x16 embark together for my "City" game over in Smallworld Dwarfopoly.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2017, 09:11:33 pm »

Ni hao Sanctume can you give me the description of your dear leader and his current equipment ?
It's for...something
Xie xie very much

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2017, 09:26:54 pm »

Ni hao Sanctume can you give me the description of your dear leader and his current equipment ?
It's for...something
Xie xie very much

I used dfhack's forum-dwarves.
  `Noble Magi' Koln‹r, "`Noble Magi' Wheellands", 02 Magi   
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dwarf Therapist info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: inventory (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:29:11 pm by Sanctume »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2017, 10:15:40 pm »

I had a lot of fun. Thanks and good luck on your project !
(For the symbol I just translated "Magi" to chinese trad.)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2017, 10:36:01 pm »

I had a lot of fun. Thanks and good luck on your project !
(For the symbol I just translated "Magi" to chinese trad.)

:) Cathar! Your art is just super awesome, and I'm grateful that you share your talent with us forumites here in bay12. 

It's truly what makes the DF community part of an enriching hobby and gaming experience.

Thank you!  :)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2017, 10:42:46 pm »

Oh you ^^'
Really it's my pleasure, it's really a great idea you had, and I'm a big big big fan of chinese culture

Dainz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2017, 10:53:09 am »

Love the Idea, and your post are interesting and well written. Keep on!
Pages: 1 [2]