Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding the [SPEAK] token to body parts as well  (Read 607 times)

UristMcArmok

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:ELF]
    • View Profile
Adding the [SPEAK] token to body parts as well
« on: October 12, 2017, 04:09:59 am »

I like to play adv mode stealthy sometimes, and I go about it by slitting the throats of the unsuspecting enemy. Even thought they have blood flooding their esophagus and lack the ability to speak clearly, they still call out for help/ moan about their wounds, alerting nearby enemies. If we attached a token to the throat that removes the [CAN_SPEAK] token when injured, it would make assassins much more viable. (I know head shots instantly kill but that doesn’t always work with daggers. Throat is a guaranteed kill.)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:06:28 am by UristMcArmok »
When in doubt, Succeed from the union.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adding the [SPEAK] token to body parts as well
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 04:42:10 am »

or make oxygen a sub-requirement for air breathers to speak, stabbing them in the lungs or the throat making them breathlessness and interrupting their sentences.

Still having seperately adjustable speaking places would mean that a large headless creature, lets say a Ent (tree person) could have a face in their torso with the mouth set seperately.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 12:57:26 pm »

One could imagine a creature that breathes air but is able to speak through some other method, so I would rather the ability to speak wasn't directly hardcoded to the ability to breathe.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 07:31:21 pm »

One could imagine a creature that breathes air but is able to speak through some other method, so I would rather the ability to speak wasn't directly hardcoded to the ability to breathe.

Exactly this.  Maybe just let each creature have a list of prerequisites, such as [CAN_BREATHE_AIR, HAS_TONGUE, NOT_DEAD], etc.