Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mass pitting issue  (Read 7322 times)

UndrState

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Mass pitting issue
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 09:48:43 am »

Note about B1: Creatures will not be harmed inside cages, unless the cages are destroyed or as a result of preexisting condition like already drowning (in which case they'll drown even after the cage is removed from water).

Ah , ok , so it would only really work for dumping non-magma safe cages into magma , correct ?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 11:04:47 am »

Seems so, item would catch fire and vanish leaving the creature in

For more fun, catch water inside the cage by triggering it whilst submerged & obsidianise the creature within when the insides spill out, dig rock & reclaim the corpse which should have died instantly without burning too much.

One way of disposing of virtually impossible to kill monsters like certain FB's if you manage to contain them via the cave in & webbed cage method.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 11:49:09 am »

I'd keep militia stationed in the pitting room to deal with the ones that break lose. If you're pitting through a locked hatch in the roof with no walls around the hatch (in the room below), you don't need to care about smoothing.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 12:19:08 pm »

Ah , ok , so it would only really work for dumping non-magma safe cages into magma , correct ?
Mm. If you're going to lose the cages anyway, might as well strip captives and then atomsmash.

UndrState

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 02:21:12 pm »

Mm. If you're going to lose the cages anyway, might as well strip captives and then atomsmash.

Yeah, but it's my first time playing with magma and I've got myself a volcano . Was kinda hoping to set up a temple over the mouth for some sacrifices .

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2017, 01:35:40 pm »

I don't really mass pit, as I use my prisoners to train military dwarves. I dream to give the prisoners candy hammers and unleash them on children to see what happens.

But anyway, wouldn't it possible to channel a 3x3, then just reconstruct the perimeter floor, with the hatch in middle of the 3x3.

It will mean there's a 1 tile buffer all-around the hatch immediately below. So they can't grab on to anything, as there is nothing to grab.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 04:46:17 pm »

I don't really mass pit, as I use my prisoners to train military dwarves.
How do you get them out of the cages without exposing a hauler to being attacked? I'm trying to avoid the whole "build a cage, link to lever, pull" system.[/quote]
But anyway, wouldn't it possible to channel a 3x3, then just reconstruct the perimeter floor, with the hatch in middle of the 3x3.

It will mean there's a 1 tile buffer all-around the hatch immediately below. So they can't grab on to anything, as there is nothing to grab.
That is just the wiki's mass-pitting system with a single hatch instead of multiple hatches, and even with more space below, the prisoners seem to start fighting instead of falling in, although I now am wondering if raising the ceiling above the cages would help.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 11:32:35 am »

I don't really mass pit, as I use my prisoners to train military dwarves.
How do you get them out of the cages without exposing a hauler to being attacked? I'm trying to avoid the whole "build a cage, link to lever, pull" system.

That is just the wiki's mass-pitting system with a single hatch instead of multiple hatches, and even with more space below, the prisoners seem to start fighting instead of falling in, although I now am wondering if raising the ceiling above the cages would help.
[/quote]

I usually have multiple rooms with doors, build cages ( up to 100 a time) link them all To a lever, lock the doors and pull. Unlock the doors one at a time to have my military take on anywhere from 1 to 9 prisoners. The rooms are usually 3x3, but I've done 1x1. I havent mass pitted since climbing started because I don't like goblins running amok, armed or not.

Alternatively have your arena, above that have your pitting room. Your pitting room should be sealed except for your pits, and gave your vampire and/or were beast live in the pittihg room. Have a minecart or similarly over engineering contraption deliver cages to the pitting room.

That would work too but is much more effort, but that way you have no worry of goblins escaping and harming someone important.

Or, much simpler, set ten dwarves maximum to do pitting. Set them to a military squad, make sure to keep it inactive and have uniformed while inactive set true. Equip them with leather armor and obsidian short swords, that should be plenty to kill a unarmed goblin. Have weapons and armor for your guest at the bottom of the pit if desired. That way anyone escapes your haulers are technically militia and will just kill the poor saps.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 08:04:09 am »

... I usually have multiple rooms with doors, build cages ( up to 100 a time) link them all To a lever, lock the doors and pull. Unlock the doors one at a time to have my military take on anywhere from 1 to 9 prisoners...
This sounds easy enough to macro in bulk, I'll try it.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Hinaichigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2017, 10:41:12 am »

I've also been experiencing this issue, my prisoners have been breaking free as they are led to be pitted. Has anyone found the reason behind this?

Edit:
Prisoner can escape while being "hauled" for pitting, even if that distance is a single tile. Critters climbing out of the pit is permitted by the hatch not being locked (or possibly the pitted creature being a gremlin or kobold), but that's a completely different issue.

Not only can creatures designated for pitting escape, but it seems of one escapes all the subsequent one do as well, even if the first one has been put down when the hauler for the next one arrives. I've given up on mass pitting for that reason.
It seems that the first prisoner to be pitted usually gets pitted fine, but all the the subsequent ones break free. My guess is that this might be due to the first prisoner setting some sort of "combat flag" as soon as it's released into the pit, which makes the other prisoners enter combat as well, but I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:12:30 am by Hinaichigo »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 06:22:43 am »

There is a "unit is a member of an existing conflict" flag of some sort, which will prevent a dwarf (who you pulled away from a fight using burrows) from taking any jobs until the fight actually ends (which is an issue if your outpost liaison is fighting an animated hairball in a tunnel for months and your dwarfs start to get thirsty). There is a bug report for that issue in mantis, and maybe there is a relation between the two issues.

What happens if that first creature is killed before the second creature is pitted?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 06:56:46 am »

My 0.43.05 experience doesn't match Hinaichigo's.
Sometimes mass pitting works and all of them are disposed of in an orderly manner, and sometimes one of them (not necessarily the second one) breaks free. As far as I've seen, all the subsequent ones then break free as well, even if the first escaper is put down before the next dwarven pitter arrives on the scene.

Hinaichigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 09:18:33 am »

After testing it a bit more, I've had decent (but not complete) success with assigning one to the pit, waiting for them to be pitted and killed (this is a an execution pit), waiting for some additional time, and then pitting the next one. This is my intuition speaking, but I station militadwarves near the animal stockpile holding the caged prisoners, and after they kill one of the escaping prisoners, there is that time period post-combat during which their comments on death and violence as well as standing up (after going prone to fit into the same tile as another dwarf) appear in the combat log, and it seems to me that this period needs to end before the next prisoner can be successfully pitted.

Edit: Also, I've been using 0.44.02.

McOrigin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2018, 05:14:24 pm »

Yes, I know this is an old thread: the last reply is from December 2017.
Are there any news regarding a working mass pitting system? I still have prisoners escaping and starting a fight before they are pitted. I have tried everything mentioned in many thread, both here and elsewhere.

The pitting room is 7x3 with 3 floor hatches and a pit zone on exactly those 3 hatches. The respective stockpile is 7x3 but the diagonal tiles excluded. Thus every stockpiled cage is connected to a hatch by an edge, not a corner.

Maybe 4 goblins have been pitted, 3 are still alive, 1 has bled to death. 3 or 4 have been killed during fights in the pitting room and 2 are still ready to be thrown down. Those 2 seem to escape and start a fight with 100 % reproducibility...

Just to be sure: the goblins are not climbing out, and should not be moved to be pitted.

I am going to test if the diagonal / orthogonal stockpile tiles should be switched. I am going to test if the pit zone should be a single tile, reducing the stockpile to a 3x3 area.

Is there anything else?

This feels like the most annoying bug I have ever encountered in DF. I am capturing goblins, beak dogs, trolls and underground creatures faster than I can ever pit them.

Building cages seems like the last possible solution but is time and resource consuming as hell, compared to a working mass pitting system.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2018, 09:54:14 pm »

I used DF wiki to set pit up and I had same problems with pitting like you. I read on forums, I tried a lot of things. Some players were reporting they never hit this bug and they threw goblins down the pit always without accident. Not me. Then by accident I discovered something. I wrote a bug report on it and I hoped this issue was solved by now. It is not. Yesterday, when captured a goblin party I noticed the same thing, so I guess it is not fixed yet for some reason.

https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10564

Acknowledged, but still open.

The thing is a still suspiciously blinking war dog on chain after siege ended. Normally war dogs don't blink. Pasturing it and then retying it back to chain fixes issue with pit escaping prisoners. Like a magic.

Though, I build my pit (size 9x9 with 9 hatches) underground. My pit has 2 floors depth and on lowest floor I have 10x9 bridge. Also I have no mud around hatches on my pit or other slippery spills. Hatches are forbidden and not pet passable. Call me paranoid, but my pit works now 100% all the time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3