Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which secret containing book should we steal first?

Creatures Uncovered (Concerns the secrets of the beast warrior)
- 5 (6.5%)
Misconceptions About The Dragonlord (Concerns the secrets of dragons)
- 10 (13%)
Foundations of Blizzards (Concerns the secrets of wind and air as magical weapons)
- 6 (7.8%)
The Meaning of Dragonfire (Concerns the secrets of dragons)
- 4 (5.2%)
Book of Coagulation (Concerns the secrets of legendary cheese making)
- 42 (54.5%)
Look for more books, I want a different secret
- 1 (1.3%)
Let's just steal a slab and hope for the best
- 9 (11.7%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 100

Author Topic: The Resurgence of Modded Hell (Back, Still Broken, Now With Giant Butterflies)  (Read 279665 times)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile

Abandon Hope Ye Who Enter Here
(The actual fort has started, you can skip to the beginning of the story on page 35 Here, and you can skip to the beginning of the fort on page 51 Here. I would suggest reading the process of creating this though, as it was quite entertaining)
Over my career of playing dwarf fortress I have amassed a stockpile of mods for personal use. Most of which conflicted gloriously and often led to, say, an invasion of Goombas wielding master swords with war allosaurs that breath fire. Some of which was my own personal tinkering to make everything even more broken and !fun!. The combination of many of these mods that were intended to stand alone and create their own world led to a very entertaining hell with many events that shouldn't exist. Not wanting to keep all the fun for myself I've decided to create and document a new (possibly succession fort depending on how much interest there is in it being succession) fort when the next dwarf fortress update comes out with all of my mod folder. But that's not all! Until I decide to start the fort I will be accepting Any mod personal or official (unless deemed to have an element that might destroy the experience too hard) or modification to existing game or mod functions to the fort. This is going to be a dictatorial democracy process.

The fort has been started, so mods will be no longer added. You can still submit them, but they'll be put to the side until further notice.

A simple bar fight could easily turn into a fruit salad in seconds.
This process has already turned into quite a spectacle.

Mod Accepting Process
    If I deem that something is too bad (such as say, changing rain out for lava or making an unbeatable beast as common as vermin) I may veto it, but if there is enough of a desire to over rule the veto than so be it. Otherwise, make any changes as small or extensive as you want (within reason). You can post a spoiler with the raw text in it, or send me a download link. If an official mod is desired point me towards it's thread. I'm not going to call anyone out for plagiarism, but don't steal too much. I only ask that you give a general overview of what the mod contains and a reason you want it, preferably with extra emphasis on what's in it that might bring the fortress to it's knees. It doesn't have to be balanced, but the game should at least not crash from just thinking about it.

Lore
     It has been determined, because of the stupid amount of effort that was put into making them reproduce asexually, that we are a fort of lawnmower ranchers.
Our resident lore master has begun to compile the know information of this world, found here:
I took a couple hours and wrote this, I hope it captures the egocentric, communist, & out right wrong veiwpoint of the Koopas.

UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, ONLY MODS UPDATED TO 44.02 WILL BE IMPLEMENTED FOR SAFETY REASON, OUTDATED MODS CAN STILL BE SUBMITTED, BUT WILL HAVE TO CONTAIN NO ITEMS THAT CAUSE INSTABILITY IN THE GAME, THEY WILL ALSO HAVE TO UNDERGO RIGOROUS TESTING TO ENSURE THAT NOTHING GAME BREAKING IS MISSED.
I've lost track of what's actually made it in, everything that is in is listed here, but I have no idea what's actually in and what got cut.

Tampered with Mods (be aware that I might miss a few)
Rise of The Mushroom Kingdom
Dwarvemon (updated to 1.13) [Updated]
Zelda Breath of The Wild (or something, can't remember the name, civs taken out because of bugs)
Fortress Defense
Meds Rhendrow (most of it had to be removed because of bugs)
ZM5's Spooky Halloween Mod [Updated]

Untampered Mods (tampering encouraged)
Mostly Mythical Creatures Mod
What Lurks Below [Updated]
Black Powder Fire Arms
Deeper Dwarven Domestication
DFhack
Saurfortress
Modest Mod (I think it's in there, but I'm not sure)
Procedural legends
Teh Lol Mod [updated]
The Earth Strikes Back (could never get it to work, made a serious attempt at it but likely isn't working, help appreciated)
Enemy Post's Creature Pack [Updated]
Secrets of capitalism and communism by Bearskie
Burrito25man's script for butchering sapient creatures (maybe working)
IndigoFenix's Dwarven Bread
Scourge's extinct animals [Updated]
Stals Armory pack (I only gave the new stuff to the Koopa's, might give the stuff to the other civs)
Scourge's mundane animals [Updated]
Asin's Wee Folk Mod [Updated]
Asin's Golbinoids (and orcs) mod
Fluffyshambler's caverns of peace, friendship, and fun mod [Updated]
squamous's fantastic races mod [Updated]
Jazz Cat's dwarfsday winter holiday mod [updated]
ZM5's darkest dungeon mod [updated]
Dunamisdeos's Speecho the Trust Worm mod
Dunamisdeos's Fruit Engine mod

Modifications (as they are added/remembered)
Changed the Koopa people to be metal, six armed, lightning and laving spitting harbingers of destruction (I kept getting curb stomped by everything in the first month so I gave them a boost, not as OP as you'd think they are still quite susceptible to tidal waves of ruin that come with each invasion or wild animal wave)
Swapped around the alliances of some of the civs so we could be attacked by the useless trader ones while still having the useful trader ones
A lot more, going to be posted here as they are rediscovered

Pending Mods
Zelda Breath of the Wild Civs (they always made my game crash during world gen, if someone can fix them or tell me whats wrong they'll be put back in)
Orichalum

Enemy Post's Composite Pack (have to weed out what we already have in from what we don't)
Urlance Woolsbane's changes to procedural monsters

Mods That Don't Work
Saurfortress - ancient mammals addition (outdated)

Personal Mods That Work
Derpy Dev's meat block mod
bloop_bleep script that allows lawn mowers to self inpregnate
Pikachu17's billdads [not updated, but added because I felt like it]

Personal Mods That Don't Work/Ideas for Future Additions/Are in development
VolcanoQueen's BEE Fortress
I tried to make a Wasp Civ, but they never appeared in world gen and in the arena their stingers were indestructible and caused all attacks to be directed to it, I'll post the raws I have so far if anyone wants to try fixing it
I have a lot of other ideas, but I don't want to ask someone to basically make a modpack for me, so unless someone is interested I'm leaving this ambiguous

Art
Here we find the art of those who have been inspired by the koopa cause.

EPM:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Stingpie:
The Shell Cantina
The Defender

Koopas and (possibly) turns
1. Mottled Petrel: Farmer, grower, and animal trainer, pets: none yet
2. bloop_bleep: Possibly mechanic, pets: none yet
3. Derpy Dev: Manager, self proclaimed 'bestest comedian', pets: none yet
4. Enemy Post: Whatever, pets: dinosaur something
5. Gwolfski: Whatever (as of so far), pets: Lol Cat
6. Scourge: Whatever (as of so far), pets: Whatever we have on hand that's the closest to a cat
7. ZM5: Occultist (as of so far), pets: none yet
8. MrLurkety: Whatever, pets: closest thing we have to a war dog
9. Silverlock: maybe something military would be fun/squire, pets: none yet
10. Asin: Duke Nukem wannabe, pets: none yet
11. Urlance Woolsbane: Doctor, pets: something weird
12. wags: bone carver or stone worker, pets: none yet
13. EPM: whatever's funny, pets: none yet
14. Stingpie: lore master, pets: none yet
15. SQman: 'executive' furnace operator, pets: none yet
16. Lord_lemonpie: army lad, pets: none yet
17. Pikalord: animal trainer/soldier with a huge obsession for pikachu, pets: preferably pikachu
18. Auze: scholar or broker, hiding fugitive (probably broker because we can't spare the worker at the beginning), pets: none yet
19. KoopaUnknown: communist, pets: none yet
20. Scarlet_Avenger: lawn equipment technician (animal care taker and mechanic), pets: maybe a lawnmower
21. MoonyTheHuman: Physician (you'll be lucky if I can even find any kind of doctor), pets: none yet
22. Imic: mason, architect, butcher, 'fortressier', pets: none yet
23. rainbowdashfanboi84: Guard (brony), pets: Something horse like
24. TheRedWolf: SwordSpiderKoopa, pets: dodrio
25. Sanctume: Axekoopa or weaponsmith, pets: none
26. Darkening Kaos: Mechanic, pets: none
(27).
(28 ).

Plan for Actual Fortress
It is going to be a Koopa Fortress (this isn't negotiable, I have spent too much time tweaking them and giving them the ability to make all the weapons and armor to have to make another one) preferably right smack in the center of a warzone between as many civs as possible. I would prefer a swamp/jungle with a small area of evil, but I will see what the consensus is for embark point. We have a lot of time to discuss the actual details of the fortress before the update comes out, so have at it.

Important things to keep in mind
This is my first time running a fortress, so I'm not quite sure how to upload a save or pictures or any of that (help requested)
This fort will literally push the bounds of the dwarf fortress experience, technical difficulties will happen, the start and updates will be delayed accordingly, so please be patient
Any with more knowledge than me on these topics should give their two cents and tell me how to do it correctly
There will likely be rollbacks if the fortress is crushed by a dragon necromancer with an army of undead metagrosses in the first five days
I forget things, I may forget to mention something important or forget to post a mod or something, correct me
This front page will be updated constantly as we get new stuff, check it often
It is your job to mess up everything as much as possible while still being playable

Known Bugs
Everything is always broken in modded hell, so I'm no even going to bother. I was keeping track of everything that was going horribly wrong, but the list just became so out of control that I gave up. If you want to see what those things were I posted about them more often than I put them here.

The 1st save (for people that want it)
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13461

The 2nd save (for people that still want it)
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13680

QUOTES DOWN ON MY SECOND POST
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 08:37:35 pm by MottledPetrel »

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a robot or something.
    • View Profile
Re: Modded Hell: a hectic collection of conflicting mods and modifications
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 12:46:16 pm »

In recent forts my koopas fall asleep and never wake up, when woken up with DFhack they complain about being tired and go back into endless sleep, Cause: unknown

Do the Goombas have [NOSTUN]? I remember reading on the wiki that the [NOSTUN] tag causes creatures who need to sleep to never wake up.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 12:59:15 pm »

It was the Koopas that had the problem, and yes I gave them it. I'll go fix it, Thanks for the help.

THIS POST HAS BEEN COMMANDEERED FOR A QUOTES SECTION
A lot of amazing quotes have come from this, so this section is going to be kinda massive
Why did you pick the exploding birds? They might explode.

The world seemed to work fine, except that for some reason five or six remoraids fell dead out of the sky basically right on the wagon.

Do they breed? I would think not because they are literally a lawn care tool

But the real question is, how would lawn mowers reproduce? Would they lay eggs or give live birth? Or would they reproduce by budding? I'm actually not sure if I want to make lawn mowers breedable.

Plus, that would probably lead to a lawn mower-splosion ... Or if we just want little push mowers hatching from eggs that's fine too.

So! I heard you like conflicting mods that make everything hell!

Meat furniture is definitely going to be a thing

At this point we have way more lore for these lawn mowers than anything else, when we start one of the first things I'm going to do is make a temple and fill it with statues of lawn mowers.

Wow, I would never have thought about mating lawnmowers before I read this thread, now those horrifying images will never leave me.

I'm looking forward to this fort of communist turtle lawnmower ranchers.

wait, when did this fortress become communist?

When we decided to have fun.

Fun gets you sent to gulag.

brew a drink from their meat

I'll start working on meat wine.

I smell another useless poll that makes everyone who stumbles upon it question their existence. Keep up the good work.

Screw it, just add all the mods.

All of them. Every last one.
Surely nothing can go wrong with this.

I tried to make my own megamix quite a while back. It ain't too much until you start running into Impoverished Word Selectors and the creatures alone take half a minute to load.

Only half a minute?

Huh, changing barrels of venom into barrels of booze? Now that's appealing, for some reason.

Either as just the normal bird, or if someone takes it and turns it into a hulking monster that breathes fire and goes around karate chopping people in half (or something).

A simple bar fight could easily turn into a fruit salad in seconds.

"yes... bring the hair... vomit it upon my silvery scalp..." -UristMc Baldkoopa

I had to kill the Nosferatu before he'd stop drinking people's blood, but the master of the dead flew off scared after all of his ribs and his spine were ripped off by the dinosaurs.

I swear, if any of you react like this when we actually encounter snow I'm putting you all to the guillotine.

I suppose the obvious solution is to make a drowning room or an atom-smasher and designate it as a tavern.

There's a LOT of things that happened this update that ever so slightly hints at the amazing amount of instability this game is getting away with. Thankfully, none of it caused any crashes, but it makes you wonder how much is every so hopelessly broken behind the scenes.

You know, I think this story might be a little bit weird.

I love how the longer this goes on, the less sense it makes

A golden, dinosaur, jet figurine of koopas murdering capitalists? This is definitely going in the museum.

It's only in Modded Hell that even the fucking god of chaos and disorder gets torn to shreds by a horrible monstrosity.

I think "Status update: This is fine. Everything is fine.
Status update: Everything is on fire." should be the motto of this fortress, now that I think about it.
+1
++1

No adventure mode, and razing and pillaging don't work?
Just typical modded hell changing the unchangable.
Ever since the calendar started to go backwards, it's all become just Thursday.

Sometimes, things just don't go the way you want. You step outside to go steal a book about cheese, and then you get swarmed by dinosaurs and hackers and fish people and undead. It's just a thing we all have to deal with at some point in our lives.

lol......this «☼Post☼» by MottledPetrel was of the finest craftskoopaship, menacing with spikes of ☼Comedy Gold☼ and ringed with ☼Typical Koopa Bullshit☼.

Incineroar it is! Please, don't make me regret this decision.

I don't know, it's just not quite as catchy as "I choose you, Pikachu!".
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 09:41:33 pm by MottledPetrel »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 02:10:02 pm »

This sounds great. Can we use parts of my creature pack? It's got a bunch of creatures that might be fun, like xenomorphs, Jurassic Park dinosaurs, and lawnmowers. Also, the ancient mammals pack is for 34.11, it won't work properly for this version.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 02:35:05 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 02:43:40 pm »

It was the Koopas that had the problem, and yes I gave them it. I'll go fix it, Thanks for the help.
No problem, I'm happy to help.  :D

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 02:45:40 pm »

We most certainly can! My only thought about it is that even though the ancient mammals pack doesn't work Saurfortress still does. So if we added in the jurassic park dinosaurs we'd have a lot of doubling of dino's. Indominous Rex isn't in though, and the other stuff seems really cool. I'll move Ancient Mammals to the "not working" category.

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 02:49:14 pm »

Once I get my Bee Fortress mod working, do you think we could use it in this? I'm having some issues with it, so it might take a while, but it could be fun.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 02:55:04 pm »

I'd love to have more BEES in dwarf fortress. We have some time to wait, the update is scheduled to come out at the end of the month. Even then we can only start when I get everything (mostly) working. Depending on how long you think you need once we're ready to start we can wait. Would it be okay if I add it to the "in development" section so I remember?

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 03:01:24 pm »

I'd love to have more BEES in dwarf fortress. We have some time to wait, the update is scheduled to come out at the end of the month. Even then we can only start when I get everything (mostly) working. Depending on how long you think you need once we're ready to start we can wait. Would it be okay if I add it to the "in development" section so I remember?
You can add it to the "In Development" section. Once the update comes out, I'm guessing I'll need about a week. That's just a guess, though.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 03:05:14 pm »

That'll probably be fine, just keep us updated. And could you possibly spoil a little bit of an over view of what it's going to BEE like.

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 03:12:36 pm »

I'm trying to make a controllable bee person civ that's mostly distinct from the normal dwarf civ in fortress mode. I'm trying to get the bees to make their own wax that you can build with, but I'm having some trouble with that at the moment. As I research bees, I'll add stuff that can mess with your fort like flies that turn your bees into mindless husks and unique diseases and all that FUN stuff.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 09:37:10 pm »

You could try to merge this with enemy post's composite modpack used for Borechanced..

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 09:53:36 pm »

That might take a little bit to weed out what we already have from it, but yes, I will try.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 10:11:00 pm »

Would adding in soviet bears from the GTTMM thread help any?

Or this perhaps, just given that one can never have too many explosions. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85060.0
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 10:17:27 pm by Paxiecrunchle »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 10:14:56 pm »

I wouldn't recommend trying to actually take the content from the Borechanced pack. It's all mashed up and out of date. You'd be better off just using it for ideas.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 100