Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which secret containing book should we steal first?

Creatures Uncovered (Concerns the secrets of the beast warrior)
- 5 (6.5%)
Misconceptions About The Dragonlord (Concerns the secrets of dragons)
- 10 (13%)
Foundations of Blizzards (Concerns the secrets of wind and air as magical weapons)
- 6 (7.8%)
The Meaning of Dragonfire (Concerns the secrets of dragons)
- 4 (5.2%)
Book of Coagulation (Concerns the secrets of legendary cheese making)
- 42 (54.5%)
Look for more books, I want a different secret
- 1 (1.3%)
Let's just steal a slab and hope for the best
- 9 (11.7%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 100

Author Topic: The Resurgence of Modded Hell (Back, Still Broken, Now With Giant Butterflies)  (Read 279664 times)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Re: The Burning of Modded Hell (110+ Invasion and Horrible Forest Fires)
« Reply #1080 on: April 29, 2018, 07:05:03 pm »

So I'm back from the thing I had to go do, and updates will be back to their 'whenever the hell I feel like doing it' schedule. Maybe one this week if I can fit it in, but probably one over the weekend.

ono it's an escaped lunatic run  :P
that was mean :(
Don't worry, we were all one at some point. Glad to see I could attract you to the forums, I'll koopa you if I remember.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: May 01, 2018, 07:05:53 pm »

Don't think I've forgotten about those crippling RAW modifications I promised, I spent a good part of my afternoon today trying to find all of the discussed RAW changes that I said I was going to do and just never did. I have documented them here as I did them, and will gladly accept callouts for things that I missed or did wrong (Yes, I made a copy of the save).

1. I looked through the pokemon plant files to see if the berries we have are edible raw, and HELIX FUCKING CHRIST THERE IS A FUCKING HUGE AMOUNT OF FOOD ITEMS IN THIS MOD! I also happen to simultaneously not know how the actual fuck to make any of them. According to the RAWS, I can somehow turn at least some of the berries into dyes, something relating to spice, somekind of powder, juice, a number of shakes, and probably a lot more (I lost interest when I realized just one of the four files was longer than Mount Everest is tall). It would appear that at least most of the berries are edible raw, but are also supposed to be ungrowable. Apparently they can only come from trees or something, and I somehow have their seeds that lets me plant them in a nonexistent crop form... I don't know, but I would assume that that might be what is making them unusable. Actually, after looking for a little longer it seems that there is the groundwork for a crop form, but it also somehow coincides with the tree berries. I don't know, and it honestly isn't that important of an issue, so I'm moving on unless someone wants me to properly rangle the issue.
2. Changed
[CREATURE:CHIMERA]
   [NAME:chimera:chimeras:chimeric]
   [CREATURE_TILE:'C'][COLOR:2:0:1]
   [FANCIFUL]
   [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
   [PREFSTRING:terrifying features]
   [ALL_ACTIVE]
to
[CREATURE:CHIMERA]
   [NAME:communism:communism:communism]
   [CREATURE_TILE:'C'][COLOR:2:0:1]
   [FANCIFUL]
   [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
   [PREFSTRING:righteous equality]
   [ALL_ACTIVE]
3. Changed
Centaurs (I deleted the entry before I could put it here)
to
[CREATURE:CENTAUR]
   [NAME:capitalism:capitalism:capitalism]
   [CREATURE_TILE:'C'][COLOR:6:0:0]
   [FANCIFUL]
   [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
   [PREFSTRING:ability to increase one's economic standing]
   [ALL_ACTIVE]
   [CASTE:FEMALE]
      [CASTE_NAME:mixed economy capitalism:mixed economy capitalism:mixed economy capitalism]
      [FEMALE]
   [CASTE:MALE]
      [CASTE_NAME:free market capitalism:free market capitalism:free market capitalism]
      [MALE]
4. Changed
[CREATURE:GRIFFON]
   [NAME:griffon:griffons:griffon]
   [CREATURE_TILE:'G'][COLOR:7:0:1]
   [FANCIFUL]
   [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
   [PREFSTRING:strength]
   [ALL_ACTIVE]
      [FEMALE]
      [MALE]
to
[CREATURE:GRIFFON]
   [NAME:anarchy:anarchy:anarchy]
   [CREATURE_TILE:'G'][COLOR:7:0:1]
   [FANCIFUL]
   [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
   [PREFSTRING:strength]
   [ALL_ACTIVE]
      [FEMALE]
      [MALE]
5. Changes as many instances of VULNERABILITY as I cold find to STRESS_VULNERABILITY.
6. Enemy Post never got back to me on exactly what might fix the birdemic birds, so I'm not going to touch them just yet.
7. I looked at the tomtenisse because someone said something was up with their castes, but I couldn't find anything that stuck out to me as wrong. More research is needed.
8. I'm not going to dive into the hell of deciphering if each entity is properly tagged to their custom speech file, besides the fact that there might be a lot of unintended consequences to actually fixing that mid-game.
9. There's nothing I can do about the hardcoded stuff, so I guess we're just going to have to live with basic universal laws taking sick days every once in a while.
10. Gave Koopas mail shirts, if it actually works has yet to be determined. If I REALLY have to, I know that you can give an entity new reactions mid-game despite what people might say, I've done it before with no perceivable problem.

That was actually all I could find that was mentioned in recent history, and I intend to keep mid-game changes minimal. Testing shows that the game seems to have agreed with most of the things I did, but I'm going to have to whip up a custom reaction to make chain mail shirts some other day.

stingpie

• Bay Watcher
  • Shokmug Onor will never die
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: May 01, 2018, 09:11:57 pm »

I don't have anything witty to say, i'm just appreciating your devotion to this modpack.
                ∫)
Good job[ ]E3

The dwarven atom is made of !!TURKEY GOBLER!! remains

no one can deny this

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: May 02, 2018, 05:25:55 am »

I've been working on this pack for at least a year and a half before I decided to make a story out of it, I don't plan on just casting it aside anytime soon. Fortunately, now that I actually have more knowledge of how RAWS work than just 'download and shove it in the RAWS folder' I can actually properly ensure that everything works and change things to what I might want them to be. And after spending (what was it, two months?) working together with the interested parts of the community that I have gathered here I finally have a chance to see the rewards of all that work with my play through. In addition to that, I get to create an interesting narrative that I wouldn't be able to do if I had just kept my modpack to myself. And having just recently passed 30,000 views and 1000 replies a little before that I can only assume that you guys want to see what the hell I put into this thing as much as I do.

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: May 03, 2018, 06:07:52 pm »

so is my trap a good idea or is it stupid? also how is my koopa
btw can koopas have ghosts cause if so would they be a gohos in a shell  ;)
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: May 03, 2018, 06:45:57 pm »

Oh it's a fine idea, one of the components that was already sent to me was to have a long maze like hallway that leads the enemies who fall to another trap level. Unfortunately, because enemies automatically know exactly how to get to their target to simplify pathing making an actual maze would be redundant. I already had plans for building a reservoir that could be pumped onto the surface, mostly because A. My experience with this modpack is that everything is constantly on fire, and B. It's about time for useless megaprojects. Using some of this reservoir to flood the tunnels knee deep wouldn't be extremely hard, but getting a koopa to either accidentally or purposefully poison the water way is a much harder matter.

I have not koopa'd you yet, I've been waiting for a new migrant wave to give you one, but I could probably come up with a reasonable explanation for having an existing unnamed koopa become Lunardog15 (if that's the name you want). Either way, its probably going to have to wait until this weekend because finals week has turned more into finals month when all of my teachers got together this year to assign giant projects in addition to test finals. And this has really put a damper on my ability to churn out Modded Hell updates because I usually make one all at once as I play in 5-7 hour stints. Updates might have to be once or twice a weekend for a little while while I work on that, and I'm still waiting for anyone to either call me out on or confirm my changes to the raws.

Koopas can have ghosts, as far as I know any sentient creature can become a ghost if it isn't memorialized. Koopa ghosts technically wouldn't have a shell, because as many of the mario games have proven koopas don't function like conventional turtles. A real turtle has its shell directly fused to its spine, and its skin and muscle attach directly to the shell as if it was internal bone. This makes the turtle impossible to separate from the shell without killing it, but koopas in some mario games can be jumped on to have the koopa shoot out of the shell (Super Mario World), or can be just found occasionally with no shell and just their underwear in others (Paper Mario). This would technically make their shells not a living part of them and more of a clothing item (As is true in this mod, but IndigoFenix somehow made it so that koopas get a bad thought if they don't wear shells which compels koopas to almost instinctively wear them), so the koopa would not be able to retain their shell after death. However, most accounts people make of ghosts in dwarf fortress is not of them being completely naked, so this is a fact either tastefully left out, forgotten, or ghosts appear in the clothes that they die in. So, after all this, the best I can offer you is a maybe. And after further consideration, that was probably a reference that went way over my head and caused me to instead go on a tangent that could potentially be passed off as a thesis paper.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 05:22:35 am by MottledPetrel »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: May 04, 2018, 02:25:58 pm »

Reference to an anime called Ghost In The Shell, as as I can tell.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: May 04, 2018, 04:05:25 pm »

more of the movie and I have not seen either I was making a pun tho but yeha
the preferred name would be Lunar (first name) Dog (lastname) or Lunar "the dog" mcpunmaker would also work :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 04:07:47 pm by Lunardog15 »
everything is fine
 everything is on fire

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: May 04, 2018, 04:29:09 pm »

Too bad DF no longer has dungeon masters.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: May 04, 2018, 05:27:01 pm »

Too bad DF no longer has dungeon masters.
???????????? what? are you saying I would be the PUNgeon master?
everything is fine
 everything is on fire

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: May 06, 2018, 04:13:56 pm »

So apparently there's a new update to the game, and it includes the much feared "Randomly explode with stress when you remember random horrific incidents". I'm going to wait until after today's incident to move to the version, because everyone's still kinda, uh, burning. Also, I didn't have any luck with creating a way to make chain mail through a reaction, could someone possibly slap one together for me to use?

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: May 06, 2018, 05:10:05 pm »

please no this will make this thing give up and die
don't do this to the koopas
everything is fine
 everything is on fire

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: May 06, 2018, 05:22:46 pm »

Do it. There's no way but the dinosaur way.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: May 06, 2018, 05:28:09 pm »

Quick question, a few members of the fort have died due to a fire/hellacopter swarm combo, and a group of migrants has arrived on the wrong side of the giant flame wall, do you think they would mind if I koopa'd them for a second time? I think I'm just going to do it anyways because we don't have enough people wanting koopas for it to be a problem and I'm incredibly flustered at the moment, but in the future if you don't want another incarnation when available please tell me and I won't do it.

Okay, first of all, the update will have to wait until tomorrow because it ran extremely long. Second of all, hellacopters are borderline unkillable because they don't register as a valid target because of how hot they naturally are. I've got about 100 pages of koopas dodging from it as if it were an environmental hazard (Which it says. It says 'interrupted by dangerous terrain' not 'interrupted by the hellacopter trying to rip his face off'), and because of this the koopas will only take a shot once every 10,000 opportunities they get. This has caused basically anyone who isn't armored to be killed and even while missing some body parts and having the rest of it mangled the hellacopter is still deadly. I think I'm going to have to kill him with dfhack, because this is just getting absurd. And not in an entertaining kind of absurd, a boring and overly cheap kind of absurd because the koopas can't even try to defend themselves.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 07:39:13 pm by MottledPetrel »

stingpie

• Bay Watcher
  • Shokmug Onor will never die
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: May 06, 2018, 09:45:54 pm »

Armok himself is the only one who may smite this fearsome foe!

(by the way, if I got killed, I don't want to be re-koopa'd)
The dwarven atom is made of !!TURKEY GOBLER!! remains

no one can deny this
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 100