Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which secret containing book should we steal first?

Creatures Uncovered (Concerns the secrets of the beast warrior)
- 5 (6.5%)
Misconceptions About The Dragonlord (Concerns the secrets of dragons)
- 10 (13%)
Foundations of Blizzards (Concerns the secrets of wind and air as magical weapons)
- 6 (7.8%)
The Meaning of Dragonfire (Concerns the secrets of dragons)
- 4 (5.2%)
Book of Coagulation (Concerns the secrets of legendary cheese making)
- 42 (54.5%)
Look for more books, I want a different secret
- 1 (1.3%)
Let's just steal a slab and hope for the best
- 9 (11.7%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 100

Author Topic: The Resurgence of Modded Hell (Back, Still Broken, Now With Giant Butterflies)  (Read 283728 times)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Re: The Coupe of Modded Hell (Things are about to get real around here)
« Reply #1365 on: July 31, 2018, 07:26:51 pm »

In all of my years of playing dwarf fortress, I have not once used a manager. I mean, I could try to do that, but that takes all of the fun out of the horrible inefficiency of manually doing it all myself.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: July 31, 2018, 08:31:04 pm »

My apologies for the tardy response but I'm still trying to parse your statement …
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: July 31, 2018, 08:41:42 pm »

Parse:
verb (used with object), parsed, pars·ing.

1.    to analyze (a sentence) in terms of grammatical constituents, identifying the parts of speech, syntactic relations, etc.
2.    to describe (a word in a sentence) grammatically, identifying the part of speech, inflectional form, syntactic function, etc.
3.    to analyze (something, as a speech or behavior) to discover its implications or uncover a deeper meaning:

Either you're calling me on the grammar that I didn't care about in the first place, or I wasn't clear enough. I've always gotten along fine without a manager, so I never learned how to use one. That, and I don't really trust the idiots to get it right anyways.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: July 31, 2018, 08:50:27 pm »

My logic circuits completely failed while reading your sentence, (grammar/spelling/etc was fine), the illogic of it left me flabbergasted and astounded, it was not a jab at something you had written or how you had written it.

Managers are there to relieve you of some of the micromanagement.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #1369 on: August 01, 2018, 05:35:53 am »

Pretty sure that when it says "a fortress" or "a castle" this is referring to the land ownership type of that particular noble, not the noble itself.  I'm not sure why the menu displays it this way but it does in vanilla as well (it says "a barony" not "baron").

Assuming you left the koopa nobles unchanged, a fortress is for a Miniboss, and a castle is for a Boss (there are 8 bosses maximum, so a koopa kingdom can create 8 "castles"...or was it 7?  I can't remember.).  Usually these are assigned in worldgen but I guess since the Demon King is now in the fort you get to assign them yourself.  This could wind up interesting.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: August 01, 2018, 07:52:52 am »

In all of my years of playing dwarf fortress, I have not once used a manager. I mean, I could try to do that, but that takes all of the fun out of the horrible inefficiency of manually doing it all myself.

How do you deal with large migrant waves then? Every workshop can have 10 orders at one time, and a decent wave means 30 beds, 30 doors, 30 cabinets, 10 sets of armor  (7 pieces including mail shirts and shields) and prefered weapons. That's 170 orders, and I haven't taken into account chests or making actual rooms. Needlessly overcomplicating everything down to basic management is in the spirit of the game, so I salute you.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: August 02, 2018, 04:03:32 pm »

I was onto the ownership title thing, but I have no idea if it is a dwarf fortress issue or a purely Modded Hell issue. And do we just have a demon king, or THE Demon King of the koopa empire? Also, I've forgotten how koopa magic works because I have not once gotten myself a fully charged gem, we're almost at out first one and I'm dying to make Auze a battle magikoopa.

How do you deal with large migrant waves then?
The same way I deal with all problems in dwarf fortress: brute force, spite, and way too much free time.

Drakolyn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: August 02, 2018, 04:27:25 pm »

Hi, I  made an account for this form specifically to say I am playing with this modpack and it's very fun,

I also know a dumb amount about Pokémon and the Mario rpgs so most of my enjoyment is going " i know what that is!!" And laughing at the 5th forest fire that year

Thank you so much for making this

EDIT: also I keep imagining your demon king as one of those turtles with the really long snouts. I don't know why
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 04:39:02 pm by Drakolyn »

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: August 02, 2018, 08:18:28 pm »

Quote from: MottledPetrel link=topic=167813.msg7822236#msg7822236 date=
I'm dying to make Auze a battle magikoopa.
IC: I would rather just weather out the apocalypse in my room.
OOC: I've decided to abort some character traits. Honestly, just make sure that I get rekoopa'd as a mechanic or scholar or something of the sort.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: August 02, 2018, 08:52:33 pm »

Hi, I  made an account for this form specifically to say I am playing with this modpack and it's very fun,

I also know a dumb amount about Pokémon and the Mario rpgs so most of my enjoyment is going " i know what that is!!" And laughing at the 5th forest fire that year

Thank you so much for making this

EDIT: also I keep imagining your demon king as one of those turtles with the really long snouts. I don't know why
Glad to hear you're liking it, I don't know why, but I can agree that the forest fires get endearing after a while. And are you talking about soft shell turtles? Because I have not once thought the king would look like that, seems more like a bookkeeper thing. You know, so they can balance their tiny spectacles on their overly long snouts as they glare down at you disapprovingly for letting all of the trade goods burn outside.

Quote from: MottledPetrel link=topic=167813.msg7822236#msg7822236 date=
I'm dying to make Auze a battle magikoopa.
IC: I would rather just weather out the apocalypse in my room.
OOC: I've decided to abort some character traits. Honestly, just make sure that I get rekoopa'd as a mechanic or scholar or something of the sort.
I think the whole point of me doing this is because chief magikoopa is a pretty useless noble if you don't make him a badass support type. If anything, you might be the one that I have to eventually seal off to ensure the continuation of the fort after something manages to actually get past the fire. I don't think you're going to die anytime soon, even after you become a support wizard you're going to be safely behind the front line. (And I've been totally winging characters for a long time now, if you want to change it I'll work it in. Something about the pressure to survive impending doom changing him, or something.)

Drakolyn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: August 02, 2018, 08:56:54 pm »

Oh! But imagine the dorky daimao demon lord with the worlds most ugly mug , people wheezing THIER heads off trying to take this overloard seriously

Also if you need help identifying any obscure names of things, I may be of help, I like to spend 5000% of my time reading on obscure video games, and I'd like to be helpful

Sorry if I'm annoying, I just love this... fire fort

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: August 02, 2018, 09:09:21 pm »

I'm considering drawing a portrait of noodle snout, the demon king...

Basically anything that I encounter and go 'I have no idea what the hell this thing is' is fair game.

We can always do with some enthusiasm between updates, so don't worry about it.

Drakolyn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: August 02, 2018, 09:43:48 pm »

I'm considering drawing a portrait of noodle snout, the demon king...

Basically anything that I encounter and go 'I have no idea what the hell this thing is' is fair game.

We can always do with some enthusiasm between updates, so don't worry about it.

Good! I'll do my best

Also, so far ROTMK is being super good my guys don't leave their underground for much of anything, just dead vermin and to tend the farm and depot, which is all enclosed by fortifications

Oh and for the livestock

We don't even have to worry about water, id reccomend you get a Vim workshop and work for azoth

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: August 02, 2018, 09:58:14 pm »

I completely ripped the vim extractor from the toads, it shouldn't even work because only the toads have vim containing blood. I know it can be used for warp pipes, but I have no idea what azoth is used for.

Drakolyn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: August 02, 2018, 10:00:10 pm »

I completely ripped the vim extractor from the toads, it shouldn't even work because only the toads have vim containing blood. I know it can be used for warp pipes, but I have no idea what azoth is used for.

Actually the Vim works for the koops, for some reason, at least I don't have to juice people, that's the worst

The warp pipes and also alchemy, and potions to make wizards and stuff, it's good stuff, and I think also to make coins and powerstars
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 100