Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which secret containing book should we steal first?

Creatures Uncovered (Concerns the secrets of the beast warrior)
- 5 (6.5%)
Misconceptions About The Dragonlord (Concerns the secrets of dragons)
- 10 (13%)
Foundations of Blizzards (Concerns the secrets of wind and air as magical weapons)
- 6 (7.8%)
The Meaning of Dragonfire (Concerns the secrets of dragons)
- 4 (5.2%)
Book of Coagulation (Concerns the secrets of legendary cheese making)
- 42 (54.5%)
Look for more books, I want a different secret
- 1 (1.3%)
Let's just steal a slab and hope for the best
- 9 (11.7%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 100

Author Topic: The Resurgence of Modded Hell (Back, Still Broken, Now With Giant Butterflies)  (Read 284439 times)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Re: The Fragmenting of Modded Hell (Secondary Tyromancer Fortress)
« Reply #1425 on: September 04, 2018, 05:45:49 pm »

I'd like to think he was cursed to be a great writer that can't even read his own works, but at this point I'm just going to make it funny.

Imic is still alive and happily married.

At this point if I can't get the guys I trapped to read the Book I'm just going to let it loose on the fortress and trap who ever reads it first. It should go splendidly in this glorious fortress that still has skeletons laying around from the sporewings that sneaked in.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: September 05, 2018, 05:13:38 am »

PANIC!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: September 18, 2018, 05:10:52 am »

Sorry guys, I needed a little break from Dwarf Fortress so I didn't get completely burnt out on it. I should be able to get out another update in like a week, or whenever I can get to it.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: The Pranking of Modded Hell (Mildly Easter/April Fool's day Special)
« Reply #1428 on: September 20, 2018, 05:41:37 pm »

A few days later he informs Mottled Petrel that he has finally finished his first book, "I've created an improved version of the current koopa anatomy. As any of our doctor's may or may not know, I understand that most everyone here has no formal training in their jobs, there are a number of gray areas currently in the koopa anatomy. We've covered the essential organs, but there are a number of smaller organs that are simply just referred to as 'guts'. This book labors to identify some of those smaller organs and describe what their function is in keeping us koopas running optimally". Mottled Petrel took the book he was being presented, and noticed that Mugamok had whitewashed the manga he had bought and written over it "Uh, you do know that we have plenty of quires at your disposal, right?" Mottled Petrel said, as he flipped through the pages. Mugamok shrugged "I couldn't stand to see such a waste of paper laying around, but I must return to my studies now. Show this book to our doctors so that they might gain a more accurate understanding of the koopa anatomy.".

I was rereading this bit to try and understand it for bugfixing. I think I get what happened now. I think it was probably working as intended. He didn't ruin an existing manga, he had a blank one and used it to create a manga version of a medical textbook. They're supposed to work like scrolls, since I haven't been able to find a reaction that provides them with actual page counts.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: September 20, 2018, 06:07:28 pm »

Plot twist: the manga book and the book on anatomy are actually the exact same thing.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Freshcannon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: September 20, 2018, 08:30:50 pm »

Cells at work anyone?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: September 21, 2018, 04:27:06 pm »

No, I don't work at a prison, or a police station.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: September 25, 2018, 06:20:43 pm »

Rejoice mortals, for the long forgotten knowledge of The Aged Ones has blessed Modded Hell with its presence.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: September 25, 2018, 09:04:35 pm »

Hail!
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: September 25, 2018, 09:28:21 pm »

Long forgotten? Didn't we steal it from a creature with memory?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 04:40:18 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: September 26, 2018, 05:15:57 am »

Long forgotten? Didn't we still it from a creature with memory?
Shut the hell your mouth
I more meant, long forgotten to the civilized world.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: September 27, 2018, 08:26:09 pm »

Alright, I thought this was a few weeks off, but apparently Modded Hell is eligible for Hall of Legends votes, if anyone wants to do that.

Also, next update is almost done and shaping up for release this weekend, depending on how long I decide to make it. Finally, work on the anti-forest fire countermeasures have begun, I'd like a general consensus if I should also fill the water being used for it with some of the barrels of poison we have laying around and any ideas on how we could realistically do that.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: September 27, 2018, 08:37:47 pm »

Minecart shotgun...…… wait, did I just say that? … In modded hell, that might start another forest fire.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: September 28, 2018, 09:43:29 pm »

Minecart shotgun...…… wait, did I just say that? … In modded hell, that might start another forest fire.
I'm pretty sure at this point splashing in a puddle of water and then petting a piece of granite would cause a forest fire in Modded Hell.

I say go for it.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: September 29, 2018, 07:10:08 pm »

A fresh new day dawns on a pleasant koopa fortress. Smoke is wafting through the air, there are corpses littering the surrounding fields and the main soaking in puddles of unknown substance, and the moans of the mortally injured pervade the ears of anyone who passes by the hospital. Down below the fortress, the koopas experience what has to be the cutest murder to ever have been witnessed.
---

"Today's going to be a good day, I can feel it" Mottled Petrel said, not completely untruthfully, to himself and the other, less optimistic onlookers. Not even three seconds later, Mottled Petrel felt a dreadful chill run down his spine and into the tip of his tail. Not only that, but he had a sudden craving for cheese.

'Hmmm...' thought Mottled Petrel '...I wonder if we have any snow leopard milk gouda left'.
---
Diary of the Overseer of Better Hell

It has worked, after days, nay, WEEKS of beating around the bush I managed to get that stupid wood burner to read the sacred texts.

Truth be told, I don't think he actually read it, but it seems that just looking at the pictures is good enough, which is good news for me. By all means he appears the same, but he has a weird look in his eye, and a new... dairy-like odor about him.

I must get to that book myself before I run out of rations, and then I must put the powers of the book to the test on the corpse pit that is ever so conveniently nearby.
---
     In the tavern, a particularly unruly guest decided to pick a fight with one of the denizens of Modded Hell. What they didn't seem to understand was the fact that being a forumite, the troll they decided to sucker-punch without warning was at least three times bigger and at least twice as strong as they were.

It only took one punch from the troll to send the forumite's head facing the other way, snapping his neck instantly. The 20 or so other visitors were mortified, but the hired performers who had been in Modded Hell for a while payed no mind to the foam dripping from the mouth of the still convulsing forumite corpse.

A few of the less emotionally resilient visitors immediately dropped to the floor and began incoherently wailing. This was enough to get Mottled Petrel to look through the door to see what was going on. After seeing the mangled body, the blood covered troll, and the screaming bards he decided it wasn't a serious enough matter to get involved in.
---
     Today has yielded partial success, I have finally been able to decipher the great book but I have come across troubling results. It would appear that despite our best efforts, the corpses at our disposal are unsuitable for conversion into cheese minions. It may be because they are too badly damaged, or that the corpses of sentient creatures are required, but either way it won't work. Plan B, of course, is to dig a secret passageway up to the corpse stockpile above us once we have made usable picks. After that, we may be able to raise our cheese army and have enough manpower to legitimize our claim as a separate fortress. I will see to the preparations immediately!
---
     Mottled Petrel removed his ear from the drawbridge that separated him from 'Better Hell', "Why the hell is he speaking so slowly and deliberately to himself, is he writing all that down or something? Whatever, like hell I can just let him up onto the surface near that many corpses!". Without a moment's delay, Mottled Petrel set in place the plans for his master countermeasure.

"Uh, sir, you know one of them is a parakoopa, right?" said one of the workers. Mottled Petrel frowned slightly "Put a roof over it once you're done then!".

Almost as if the gods themselves wanted to tell Mottled Petrel that his idea probably wouldn't work, a hoard of half man half insect vampires stormed over the hills to the north.

The bob-ombs put up a valiant fight, taking on average three hits before dying pitifully without exploding. In defense of the bob-ombs, the Crimson Court was a far more competent fighting force than the previous invaders, which scared the shit out of the koopas who had been getting their asses kicked by just about everyone, only to be saved by the ever present forest fires. Fortunately, or unfortunately, they possessed the common sense to not attack such an unpredictable place as Modded Hell with the exuberant number of soldiers as the previous armies. Even if one of their hulking barons could sweep aside the entire koopa army, just about everything in the known universe began working against them the second they stepped onto Modded Hell controlled lands.

Still, the koopas stood next to their tower quaking in their boots as they prayed for some random cataclysm to befall the invading army. Unfortunately, the caged incineroar refused to do anything and there were no monsters in the area, so both sides stared each other down. The vampires began a slow advance, killing a wandering glameow and a few visiting bards on their way. The invaders had to cross through the frogog pen in order to get to the koopas, and while they were busy cutting down the innocent man sized frogs the koopas advanced.

For once, the cesspool of venom that was the frogog pen actually helped the koopas, as the invaders were soon covered in extreme swelling wounds. In hindsight though, it may have not been a good idea to let an enemy that gets its power from drinking blood have uncontested access to a bunch of defenseless animals, as many of the invaders had turned into more powerful forms of themselves before long. Regardless, the collective lightning of about 30 koopas was a bit much for them to shrug off. Too busy sucking the blood out of the frogogs, a third of the invasion force was killed with minimal return fire. During this fighting, Mottled Petrel was surprised to learn that the AK 47's he had had made had been given bayonets, increasing their combat effectiveness.

The rest of the invasion force was more prepared however, as they didn't have the distraction of easy prey.

It was a bloodbath, all 30 koopas practically crawled over each other to get to the enemy and swamp them under a wave of flesh and koopa steel. The vampires were unable to resist for long, and for the first time in Modded Hell history an entire invasion force was cut down by actual military competence instead of dirty moves, fire, and/or literally anything else that could have killed anything short of a god.

Casualties were shockingly minimal, an untrained recruit had died and another untrained recruit had lost one of his arms, more than acceptable numbers considering that most of the enemy was at least three times the koopa's size with the capability of draining all of them into bloodless raisins. And to top it all off, a lot of the frogogs had been killed, which saved Mottled Petrel the effort of having them thrown into the pit because there was too many of them.

As the koopas began to pick themselves up, the first of the trading caravans arrived to be greeted by a field awash with blood and insect parts. The traders were terrified, and many saw it fit to throw up right onto their mounts. The tomtenisses who had been hired into the koopa army felt a similar compulsion, and a good portion of them looked like they were about to snap from the stress. The koopas however, even the untrained ones, shrugged it off and went back to wondering what they were going to make themselves for lunch later that day.

Once inside, many of the koopas were surprised to learn that the almost completely untrained SQman had killed the majority of the invasion force.

SQman himself didn't know what to think of the matter, because he still verdantly wanted to go back to the smelters but had somehow accidentally proven himself to be a great fighter. Mottled Petrel decided to address the matter when he actually had a replacement for him. Furthermore, it was discovered that Lord_Lemonpie had lost the use of both of his legs and had somehow been able to hide that fact from everyone up until now. He refused to use crutches, and instead opted to crawl on the floor.

By now Mottled Petrel had realized that the merchants would probably never have anything of actual value worth buying or importing, so he just waved them off and told them to bring what they want. One of the merchants, who was wearing some sick sunglasses, frowned and replied "That wasn't very cash money of you". It took most of Mottled Petrel's willpower to not have him executed on the spot. Nevertheless, it would take the koopas quite a bit of time to carry in all the rotting clothes still plastered to the bodies of the dead invaders to the traders, so Mottled Petrel decided it would be a perfect time for a nap. Unbeknownst to him, however, trouble was brewing in Better Hell...
---
Just for anyone who only looks at this thread when I change the title to tell everyone that I release an update, of which I'm pretty sure there are at least a few, I figured I'd put a final notice that Modded Hell is now Hall of Legends eligible for anyone interested.

Now, onto more important matters, does anyone know if the game can handle a single creature knowing more than one 'secret of life and death' secret? I'm thinking about stealing another book, probably one of the 'secrets of dragons' ones and giving it to the tyromancers as well. Also, I've come to learn that in all of my years of making unnecessary aqueducts and reservoirs I never actually learned how to use pumps, so the anti-fire system should be fun, and could also do with a cool acronym.

P.S: I ran out of cool names for the thread.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 07:14:52 pm by MottledPetrel »
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 100