Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which secret containing book should we steal first?

Creatures Uncovered (Concerns the secrets of the beast warrior)
- 5 (6.5%)
Misconceptions About The Dragonlord (Concerns the secrets of dragons)
- 10 (13%)
Foundations of Blizzards (Concerns the secrets of wind and air as magical weapons)
- 6 (7.8%)
The Meaning of Dragonfire (Concerns the secrets of dragons)
- 4 (5.2%)
Book of Coagulation (Concerns the secrets of legendary cheese making)
- 42 (54.5%)
Look for more books, I want a different secret
- 1 (1.3%)
Let's just steal a slab and hope for the best
- 9 (11.7%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100

Author Topic: The Resurgence of Modded Hell (Back, Still Broken, Now With Giant Butterflies)  (Read 279619 times)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Re: The Bleeding of Modded Hell (Insect vampires and more cheese)
« Reply #1470 on: February 14, 2019, 03:50:23 pm »

You know, it's gonna be kinda funny having all of these half-baked story lines resurface after forgetting them in the over a year's worth of playing time. Speaking of which, I've got a partially finished picture I post because I'll probably never finish it. It's a landscape of Modded Hell's front fire field corpse storage lawn that I was going to fill up with little renditions of events as they happened. I've only got a few things in it, but would anyone be interested in taking it and adding a scene before passing it off to another person like a community drawing?

Also, after like 36 hours step one of transferring Dwarf Fortress has been complete. Now to get it OFF the flash-drive.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bleeding of Modded Hell (Insect vampires and more cheese)
« Reply #1471 on: February 17, 2019, 08:36:35 pm »

Alright, after a long time off I'm going to try to go back to weekly/biweekly updates. I'm getting at least 20 FPS at any given time now, so things should be smoother. That being said, the fortress is even more of a poison filled mess than I remember.
---
(The thing that I thought was going to happen turned out to be nothing, so disregard that cliffhanger from the last update). In a pleasant field surrounding a koopa fortress, a group of immigrating koopas crest a hill to see a wasteland of ash, blood, and destruction. This would be their new home for years to come.
---

None of them had any valuable skills, and because there really weren't many jobs that needed to be filled Mottled Petrel sent them to the mines like the last wave.

(Here's the point at which I'm starting the play through again. I have no idea where anything is, I don't remember what I was doing, there's corpses everywhere, and about half the fort is busy throwing geo vipers and helmet snakes into a pit of a semi lethal fall distance. The plot's going to be a bit iffy while I try to remember everything that was happening.)

Sanitation was getting to become a major problem, even by Modded Hell standards.

Many of the animals were more than ankle deep in a pool of their own blood, poison, invader blood, other poisons that somehow managed to get in there, as well as corpses of all kinds. Instead of going AROUND this literal bio-hazard or, gods forbid, actually CLEANING IT UP, just about every koopa in Modded Hell was making a concerted effort to walk directly through this viscera mire. As you could imagine, this was having less than healthful effects on the fort. Koopas were trailing the sludge behind them everywhere they went, sometimes passing out mid stride as the poison permeated their pores. To top it all off, just about every troll in the fort had slipped into depression after walking back and forth through a lifetime's worth of carnage and PTSD 30 times a day for the past month.

While following one of the blood trails that was multiplying around the fort to see if he could yell at the perpetrators, Mottled Petrel also found that a soldier had somehow locked himself in the cage he was carrying. Professionalism had all but left the fort at this point.

Furthermore, there was a mastercraft figurine of a dolphin man soaking in a pile of koopa blood in the middle of the central hall. This particular pool of blood seemed to be the only pile of blood around that wasn't surrounded by footprints, nor were there any nearby blood trails or signs that this pool had been walked through. If anything, it looked like this particular figurine was the source of the pool and that every hauler was avoiding it like the plague despite the fact that it was within spitting distance of the main hoard. Mottled Petrel was about to pick it up himself to move it, but was suddenly filled with an overwhelming sense of dread. He decided to leave it, and instead check up on the self proclaimed 'Better Hell'.

'They've been smoothing that floor for almost a month, you'd think they'd have learned a thing or two by now.'. There was also still a giant vulture corpse blocking one of the main hallways, but at this point it looked like instead of moving it the koopas had decided instead to claw themselves a passageway directly through its abdomen. Next to it was yet another troll that had lost his marbles and was now rocking himself back and forth in a puddle of his own tears.

'But would you just look at the craftsmanship on the door they used to prop up this rotting corpse's abdominal cavity. Truly a work of art.'.

Outside a visiting rux swated away a mosquito that was bothering him. Not long after that, Auze beat the shit out of a dinosaur and a sentient blob of poison known as a swallot body slamed a wandering fuzzy into a fine paste. 'Just another normal day'.

'Well that's a new excuse to not be working.'. Turns out the beta male just watched that same swallot body slam the head off of a visiting tomtenisse. Mottled Petrel gave him a pass, for the time being, but that swallot was becoming a little too dangerous to keep around.

The swallot then went on to kill Scourge II's alolan persian with another body slam to the head. Scourge II looked mildly conflicted, but otherwise didn't show much emotion to his pet and only friend being killed. However, the swallot didn't stand up very well to a trident to the face from KoopaUnknown.

Of all these flying beasts can you guess which one started terrorizing the haulers next? That's right, the fucking butterflies. The things literally virtually incapable of doing any actual damage. It got so bad that a visiting POET flies into a rage and begins chasing the butterflies around the sky. He didn't manage to land any hits, and if anything he chased the butterflies closer to the fort, but it was a noble effort for someone who's only skill was being a novice at poetry.
---
Alright, who wants to try to patch the plot back together.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Resurgence of Modded Hell (Back, Still Broken, Now With Giant Butterflies)
« Reply #1472 on: February 17, 2019, 09:05:32 pm »

how is anyone actually still alive

everybody should have died about 40 pages ago
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: The Resurgence of Modded Hell (Back, Still Broken, Now With Giant Butterflies)
« Reply #1474 on: February 18, 2019, 03:29:50 am »

And so the legacy of modded hell continues... Maybe flood the surface to get rid of all the goos? Or build some kind of bath house?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1475 on: February 18, 2019, 05:04:25 am »

Of all things, giant monarch butterflies too. Don't let them near any of the doors.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: February 18, 2019, 06:39:05 am »

You know, a bath channel that the koopas have to walk through to actually get into the fort wouldn't be that bad of an idea. I've already started working on some interior plumbing (That is, I was until everyone decided that they were going to pick up every severed body part on the surface one at a time), so making some kind of self actuated system to clean all the corrosion burned feet shouldn't be that big of a stretch. Though, that would mean I'd have to actually figure out mechanics first.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: February 18, 2019, 11:38:35 am »

It's back and it's just as horrible as ever! So what horrible thing is going to happen next? My bet is on something shooting down a butterfly with a fireball, starting another great fire.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: February 18, 2019, 05:30:46 pm »

It won't be modded hell until it is surrounded by flame and ash, but an auto-bathing trench might be a good idea.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: February 18, 2019, 06:40:30 pm »

You know, the new title makes me think someone's back is broken.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: February 19, 2019, 05:22:09 pm »

It won't be modded hell until it is surrounded by flame and ash, but an auto-bathing trench might be a good idea.
Or just a dwarven shower, which even gives off happy thought producing mist.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Ichrochip

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

If any Invaders actually reach the Shower, you could fill it with Magma. Or Poison!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile

As long as someone necro'ed, is there any chance you'll do this again?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Summer's almost here. I've got a job now, but I should have some time to do this after finals. Though at this point I am not committing to it.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile

this makes dawnthunder look like an afternoon picnic. i'm gonna make popcorn and read the rest of this.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100