Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which secret containing book should we steal first?

Creatures Uncovered (Concerns the secrets of the beast warrior)
- 5 (6.5%)
Misconceptions About The Dragonlord (Concerns the secrets of dragons)
- 10 (13%)
Foundations of Blizzards (Concerns the secrets of wind and air as magical weapons)
- 6 (7.8%)
The Meaning of Dragonfire (Concerns the secrets of dragons)
- 4 (5.2%)
Book of Coagulation (Concerns the secrets of legendary cheese making)
- 42 (54.5%)
Look for more books, I want a different secret
- 1 (1.3%)
Let's just steal a slab and hope for the best
- 9 (11.7%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 100

Author Topic: The Resurgence of Modded Hell (Back, Still Broken, Now With Giant Butterflies)  (Read 280475 times)

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Re: Modded Hell: a hectic collection of conflicting mods and modifications
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2017, 06:40:27 pm »

Okay, I got it

This was the embark point, and neighbors

This was the birdemic birds we had available

Animals I took that I thought would be interesting. Ropes are a small snake with mild poison, incredibly fast.

Wild Animals that were there on embark. All the remoraids immediately died, some falling from the sky for some reason. They were immediately replaced by Malamar.

Probably the most interesting page of combat, most of it was just repetitive small injury until something was ripped off or dented to hell. Metal body parts is going to supply an interesting challenge.

I'm not going to bother with posting pictures of the fires, you all know what fire looks like. So I ask you guys, should we keep the lava spitting? It might come in handy a few times, but for the most part it just sets useless fires that eventually burn down the map. But it's my understanding that some people might find that entertaining.

Edit: Just added the secrets of capitalism and communism from Glory To Mother Mountainhome by Bearskie. We are now all communist, communist turtles.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 05:08:21 pm by MottledPetrel »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

Why did you pick the exploding birds? They might explode.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I picked the exploding birds purely because I was curious, and thought that they would explode. I wanted animals that would make a mess of the wild animals once I determined that the game still worked. I don't think I'll take exploding birds for the real fortress, but would the normal birdemic birds be worth while?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

Normal Birdemic birds are a little weaker than dogs individually. They can definitely kill humanlike targets on occasion, however. They're basically normal eagles with their strength boosted as high as it can be for such small creatures. Anyway, could we take a lawnmower or two with us?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:31:15 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We can definitely bring a lawnmower with us if our civilization has them. We could make them specific to our civilization when the update comes out to ensure that we can have them. Do they breed? I would think not because they are literally a lawn care tool, but it would make sense that they could breed so they don't go extinct. If anyone else has animal and/or personal pet requests I would suggest voicing them before we start. No promises that our civ will have them though.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

Lawnmowers don't breed, but they could be modified to do so. They probably won't go extinct either way, we could just buy new ones if our civ has them. They do need grass to graze on.
My mods and forum games.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But the real question is, how would lawn mowers reproduce? Would they lay eggs or give live birth? Or would they reproduce by budding? I'm actually not sure if I want to make lawn mowers breedable.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 08:28:33 pm by MottledPetrel »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But the real question is, how would lawn mowers reproduce? Would they lay eggs or give live birth? Or would they reproduce by budding? I'm actually not sure if I want to make lawn mowers breedable.

Given that they already have sentience, it wouldn't be too far off to say that they have a self-replication unit installed and thus reproduce asexually.

Also, a dwarfing (preferably a mechanic) and a turn, please.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If aesexual reproduction was in dwarf fortress that would make the most sense, but our options are limited to eggs and live birth. I'll put you down for a dwarf and a turn, but if we don't get enough people to make it worth while I'm going to single player it. And in signing up for a potential turn I just want to make sure that you know these modded worlds only load successfully one out of thirty times and crashes aren't a rare occurrence.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Well, you could use a script to make lawnmovers pregnant with themselves. Though this is not a sentence I've ever expected to type.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I feel like that would be WAAAAY too much effort to implement something that won't really make much of a difference. Plus, that would probably lead to a lawn mower-splosion because we wouldn't be able to geld them. But hey, if some one makes it I'll put it in. Or if we just want little push mowers hatching from eggs that's fine too. Actually, I'm going to make a poll for it, because I'm bored.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

Could we have an option for them to not reproduce at all? I didn't let them breed so they wouldn't have to have genders.
My mods and forum games.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry, I meant to put that in. Poll has been updated.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I feel like that would be WAAAAY too much effort to implement something that won't really make much of a difference. Plus, that would probably lead to a lawn mower-splosion because we wouldn't be able to geld them. But hey, if some one makes it I'll put it in. Or if we just want little push mowers hatching from eggs that's fine too. Actually, I'm going to make a poll for it, because I'm bored.

I'll get back to you on that....

EDIT: On that note, how do you find the race id of lawnmowers? Sorry, newbie scripter here, just thought it would be interesting to try this out.

EDIT 2: Nevermind. Apparently I have to do a lookup in df.global.world.raws.creatures.all for the race id and see if the name of the resulting creature definition is "LAWNMOWER."

EDIT 3: Okay, how long do pregnancies usually last, in terms of ticks? Or how long would you like them to last?
EDIT 4: Also, do lawnmowers have multiple castes, and in which proportions?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:04:43 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

Lawnmowers have only one caste. Why are you using DFhack? Raw editing would probably be easier for this purpose. I can make them lay eggs or breed normally easily if that's what people want.
My mods and forum games.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 100