Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which secret containing book should we steal first?

Creatures Uncovered (Concerns the secrets of the beast warrior)
- 5 (6.5%)
Misconceptions About The Dragonlord (Concerns the secrets of dragons)
- 10 (13%)
Foundations of Blizzards (Concerns the secrets of wind and air as magical weapons)
- 6 (7.8%)
The Meaning of Dragonfire (Concerns the secrets of dragons)
- 4 (5.2%)
Book of Coagulation (Concerns the secrets of legendary cheese making)
- 42 (54.5%)
Look for more books, I want a different secret
- 1 (1.3%)
Let's just steal a slab and hope for the best
- 9 (11.7%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 100

Author Topic: The Resurgence of Modded Hell (Back, Still Broken, Now With Giant Butterflies)  (Read 280339 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile

Or just set the visitor limit to 0...
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile

But where's the fun in that? Besides, the fortress defense civs send a lot of mercenaries that are really helpful when recruited, and a few bards is always good to have around. My only problem with visitors is that sometimes we get giant waves of useless bards that stick around for way longer than they should. I'm thinking of them as a thing to test all these gruesome new features on without wasting a peasant or risk being attacked by a captured invader.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Every corpse is a potential meat construction material or meat furniture. 

Make sure to test butchering humans for human hide pants.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile

Humans are intelligent, unless you change that, so you can't do any reactions with their corpse.

You could set the visitor limit to the highest number you are okay with.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They are going to visit hell on a koopa ranch.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not sure if we're going to be able to work around the "can't butcher intelligents" problem. But if we can get the meat wine to work and the creature that turns those who eat it into a copy of themselves to work we can serve the guests the tainted wine and then butcher them once they turn and use their meat for construction. And I don't think I'm going to tamper with the visitor cap because each world has different visitors, and I want to see what we get from all of these crazy modded civs.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Mm. There is a script for the sentient butchering problem.

Though bards make poor meat animals. Take over a decade to grow up while being tenth of the size of common large livestock.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since when is dwarf fortress about logic, reason, or making rational decisions? Using the flesh of our enemies to build our towers is way more intimidating that making them out of boring farm animals.

I got bored, so I'm making a test fort, depending on how much I care I might do an update with screenshots, but no matter what I'll document it today or tomorrow.

Edit: world gen seems to be stable. I'm looking around though, and there are a LOT of towers. This should be fun.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 06:15:27 pm by MottledPetrel »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I request we have atleast one tower near our embark, multiple if it can be done without spending forever trying to get an embark with multiple

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Everyone know before reading this that this is a test fort to tide us over until the update comes out, then I'm going to take a serious stab at character development and role playing within the world.

So I genned the world. It seemed fine, but I could only see the physical topography so I had no idead what insane wars were being fought in this cauldron of civs who all spawned right next to each other. Like any sensible player, I placed myself right smack in the middle of it as close to as many civs as possible. The one weird thing I noticed was that there were towers EVERYWHERE. I know that some of the mods added some new tower building secrets, but there were literally only one or two spots outside of tower range.

A bit surprisingly, unlike the rest of the map this region had only one tower.

The world was kinda shaped like a U with a large mass on the bottom left. I realized that my Koopa civ had taken over almost the entire top right peninsula, and that most of the other civs were in that bottom left land mass. Because of this, when I started planning carefully my civ had access to literally HUNDREDS of tamed animals. I didn't even recognize half of them and neither did google. So I just chose some of my favorites and what sounded the coolest and embarked.

Saved game in case world decided to crash for no reason, took me about 15 minutes to load it up again.

Here's our starting group.

All of the Koopas were peasants because A. I wasted all of our embark points on animals and B. I tend to just set each member of the starting seven to do a certain group of jobs and then get more specialized as we get migrants.

Here's the wild animals that were here on embark.

For most of the wild animals that are going to show up during this fort and the real fort, your guess is as good as mine to what some of these animals are. If it's something that's really out there I'll screenshot the description. Because the pokemon mod adds something like 720 animals most animals we encounter will be pokemon. The naga that are here are like centaurs but with the lower body of a snake. The longnose gar are like a pickerel fish but with a very long mouth full of basically alligator teeth. You can look up the pokemon to get a better description that I could ever possibly give.

We are basically on a plateua that has a canyon running along the left edge. There is a small hill in the center that connects with the right boundary. I have decided to build the fort at the northernmost edge of this hill, walking distance from the river that cuts across this plateau.

I'm going to wait until tomorrow to see what course of action people want to take. I now realize that I was unable to obtain any lawnmowers, once the update comes out we will add the tag to make them a Koopa only pet so we are guaranteed to start with them. If I can catch a Koopa yelling communist propaganda I will screenshot it and post it.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

I think we should build a quick shelter and then kill some animals for the meat blocks. Maybe next time we should bring meat on embark to start us off.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, some idiot dropped a tree that killed some of the livestock. And the Nagas on the map are climbing trees and jumping off of them. There is also a turf war happening between everything that is living in the river. I'm sure we'll be fine on meat in no time. My only concern with building with meat in the beginning is that the beta males (basically renamed trolls) only eat meat. But yes, more meat next time embark would be a better idea.

Edit: I just had an idea, would it be possible to mod in meat plants?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 08:10:17 pm by MottledPetrel »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

Maybe, but doesn't that undermine the point of having buildings made from the dead?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're right, never mind then. The intimidation factor is much more important.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile

I'm glad my meat mod is being put to good use :D

By the way, dwarves have a tendency to use any meat, meaning that instead of the preferred red meat castles you might get purple blocks from guts and an assortment of other less preferable colors. My tip is making a food stockpile, setting it to only accept meat and to not use barrels, and then forbid meat from all other stockpiles. That way you can easily see what meat is which color, and then forbid the colors you don't want to use.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 100