Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which secret containing book should we steal first?

Creatures Uncovered (Concerns the secrets of the beast warrior)
- 5 (6.5%)
Misconceptions About The Dragonlord (Concerns the secrets of dragons)
- 10 (13%)
Foundations of Blizzards (Concerns the secrets of wind and air as magical weapons)
- 6 (7.8%)
The Meaning of Dragonfire (Concerns the secrets of dragons)
- 4 (5.2%)
Book of Coagulation (Concerns the secrets of legendary cheese making)
- 42 (54.5%)
Look for more books, I want a different secret
- 1 (1.3%)
Let's just steal a slab and hope for the best
- 9 (11.7%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 100

Author Topic: The Resurgence of Modded Hell (Back, Still Broken, Now With Giant Butterflies)  (Read 280418 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: Modded Hell: a hectic collection of conflicting mods (Almost ready to start)
« Reply #480 on: December 25, 2017, 02:06:02 pm »

Cegad didn't even write an autobiography about himself, he wrote a book about HOW to write an autobiography about yourself. Now everyone in the fort is going to start getting ideas and start writing about their own life stories, thinking I'll care.
"And this was the day I killed that minotaur!"
"But where is the day I gave a damn?"

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: Modded Hell: a hectic collection of conflicting mods (Almost ready to start)
« Reply #481 on: December 25, 2017, 02:06:56 pm »

Nosferatu are always berserk like werebeasts, so that doesn't surprise me - gameplay-wise they're a hybrid of 3 of the vanilla night creatures - vampire bloodsucking, werebeast homicidal-ness and strength, night troll behavior of kidnapping spouses to convert in worldgen. Only exception is they pop up in the wild in evil biomes.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 25, 2017, 02:10:56 pm »

What the heck, I'll take slot #11. I'll be a doctor. Give me something offbeat as a pet.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 25, 2017, 03:05:38 pm »

Can do, welcome aboard. On another note, for some reason my fort has been attracting more scholars than I have citizens.

I swear if these guys start questioning how ethical my military death camps are I'm moving the library down to the caverns.

Well, on the bright side at least one of them wrote a book about alloys which my metalsmith is now reading.

Okay, now they're just making shit up.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 03:16:52 pm by MottledPetrel »

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 25, 2017, 04:31:26 pm »

Okay, now they're just making shit up.
Heh. That one actually has tangential relevance to gameplay, in that you can export trade-maps in Legends Mode. I suppose it's an opportunity for a DFHack plugin, though I'm not sure what good having that knowledge on the fly would be...
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 25, 2017, 04:45:17 pm »

That might be valuable information in adventure mode when you want to know what places are producing the masterwork adamantine swords, but even then I wouldn't think the book would actually tell you.

I also got a picture of someone hauling the spat fat after a battle. For some reason they hauled it to the food stock pile and then hauled it to the collective crap pile, I'll see if they actually do anything with it.

Uh, they put it into a barrel and the barrel immediately caught on fire.

So, they were able to refine the fat into tallow, but they weren't able to finish before the silt stone kitchen melted.

Okay, these idiots keep putting it in every available barrel and burning it. This usually wouldn't be that big of a deal, except that I'm in a treeless wasteland/evil mountain. Luckily, I'm not sure if by a bug or not, but there were a decent amount of the extra colorful berry trees from the dwarvemon mod were growing next to the river.

Uhhh...
Not exactly the person I hoped my tavern would attract.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 05:54:51 pm by MottledPetrel »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 25, 2017, 05:56:11 pm »

Aren't the koopas fire-spitting metal creatures? If that's not why the "fat" combusts everything I assume it has something to do with it being based on thunder, which is presumably quite hot

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 25, 2017, 06:03:09 pm »

I would think so, but I haven't bothered yet to actually look through the files to see what I put in. Also, the Broodmother waited until it was inside the pokemon pasture before she started attacking everything. Everything in the immediate area was annihilated. Even the innocent adventurers that happened to be in the area. Luckily no one of importance got caught in the crossfire.

I may have actually accidentally killed a vampire with the crossfire, because now there's an enormous pile of gnome bone trinkets in the entrance hallway.

It also turns out that one of the travelers that got obliterated was carrying an artifact iron forum post. He won't be needing it anymore, so I guess I've got myself a free artifact.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 10:51:28 pm by MottledPetrel »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #488 on: December 26, 2017, 01:07:43 am »

Are koopas fire immune (in terms of materials, not the FIREIMMUNE token)? It could have something to do with that, iirc the temperature of liquid attacks is based off of their melting point - so unless you set the melting point to be normal room temperature its gonna be quite hot.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 26, 2017, 10:47:08 pm »

I have yet to fuck around with the Koopa creature materials, and I don't really think that I will at this point. Anyway, here's the interaction that I think is making them spit fat:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My guess is that it's taking the fat because it's the only local creature material that is a glob. I don't know what the melting point of fat is, and I think changing it to be liquid around room temperature would be more of a detriment than a help. Only abut 1 in 100 fat globs fire actually land as a usable glob, so I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort to make any substantial changes. The interaction from the previous dwarfmon versions worked fine and electricity was spit properly by the koopas, so I'm going to look into that one to see if there was any substantial differences in that interaction that I could put into the new koopa file. After that I'll migrate everything to the new version, update a few mods, and potentially add scourges living wagons for kicks and maybe the glorantha mod that seems to have popped up. I probably won't because my guess is that will ruin the stability that I've achieved. After that I'll do one final quick test world for only a month or two, then I'll dick around in the arena for a little bit, finally I'll start the actual world. I'm not sure if the fruit interaction will make it into the game at this point, but I'll make an effort to try to patch it onto a lemon. I'm going to put up a poll for whether a new thread should be started for the story and leave this one for only modding and game mechanics purposes, or if I should put the story here and just put a link to where the story actually starts on the front page. I'd also like to thank everyone for the help they've given to make modded hell the horrifying cesspool become.

Okay, I found that I had forgotten to define electricity in the koopa creature file, doing that now.

I also now realize that we could probably give the Koopas one or two abilities/hidden abilities from the dwarvemon mod, anyone got any suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 11:06:06 pm by MottledPetrel »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #490 on: December 27, 2017, 05:16:29 am »

Maybe separate them into castes.  Everyone being able to spit kind of takes the fun out of teaching them proper weapons.  Then you can have thunder shooters, fire breathers, maybe some supports as well.

wags

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 27, 2017, 10:03:13 am »

Can I become a Koopa?
I have no preference for gender.
I'd like to have my nickname as wags and I'd like to be a craftskoopa, especially rock and bone crafting.
Have a nice day!

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 27, 2017, 11:01:38 am »

Hmm, thunder hasn't really been that much of a replacement for weapons in my experience. With the cool down they kinda only use it once per battle, and they won't use it when they're close enough for melee combat. Even at that, they're lucky if they can chip a bone with it, but sometimes they get lucky and destroy a hand or a foot. Really it's most helpful when something is either running away or if it's flying. If people think it's too much of a powerful move I could reduce the attack from five shots to two or three. Or maybe I could give different spit attacks to each of the different castes. We'll see.

Welcome aboard wags.

Also, for the story, does anyone in the starting seven care to be almost like a squire to act for the delivering of announcements and stuff? I only ask this instead of just picking someone at random because it will probably entail a lot of yelling at them for incompetency and such when it's actually my fault.

So I've been messing around in the arena to see how things work in combat, and I've come up with some results. Nothing, repeat, NOTHING can even make a scratch on the avatar of the blood god. I sent an army of 50 grand master everything koopas with full steel weapons and armor after one avatar. The most they could do was bruise the skin, and even that was a very rare occurrence. I then pitted about 100 random creatures against each other to see how that went. The wimpy things got slaughtered immediately, and so did the medium things, and so did the strong things. Teeth were everywhere, bodies flew across the map, it was glorious. Then one of the flying bodies caught the attention of the avatar and it was all over. With this giant body part pile I thought it would be a good idea to spawn a master of the dead. I'd say it was actually, it's pretty entertaining, except the frame rate is less than one because of the tidal wave of reanimated teeth. But because of this I noticed something that I'm not sure was intended or not. Basically any hit stronger than a "glances away" is enough to kill one of these zombies. I had a random tooth bruise the foot of a big monster (forget what it was) and it was enough to strike him down. Literally everything kills everything for some reason. I'm not sure if this is a thing specific to the master of the dead, or if something's wrong with zombies as a whole, but I don't think bruising the skin of a zombie blue eyes white dragon should be enough to kill it. Now I've just spawned a few grand master everything koopas with steel everything to see if they can clean it all up, but no progress has been made because everything keeps being reanimated by the master of the dead, who I will point out is fighting his own undead minions. I've also spawned a few angry suns to see if they can incinerate everything. I'm going to leave this running for a little while to see if it fixes itself.

It also turns out that setting about 20 avatar of the blood god thread necromancers against each other on a pile of usable body parts is not a good idea.

Uh, a couple of shell creepers were able to kill a hive queen. I've got no idea how, but something's up.

After a little more testing, I can conclude that shell creepers are INCREDIBLY resilient. It's not that they're not taking damage, it's that they can take an incredible amount of damage and keep on biting. A single shell creeper is handling an avatar of the blood god better than an elite armed and armored koopa warrior could. This game fucking mystifies me some time, because this shouldn't work but it does.

For some reason the battle field is littered with mastercraft human leather pointy hats. Any idea where those came from?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 08:43:26 pm by MottledPetrel »

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 27, 2017, 08:49:52 pm »

I would like to specify something for the vote. If we continue to use this thread and just put a link on the front page I will drastically change the title of the thread to help make everyone aware that the game has actually started.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 27, 2017, 09:56:17 pm »

I'm OK with being the squire/town crier/announcement guy.  I don't mind being yelled at.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 100