Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Butchering killed creatures by my military  (Read 2043 times)

veantur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Butchering killed creatures by my military
« on: October 14, 2017, 12:48:43 pm »

Hello

how  it is possible to butcher dead creatures killed by my military

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Butchering killed creatures by my military
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 01:54:29 pm »

Butchers will automatically butcher dead butcherable* creatures that are "near" their workshops (20 or so tiles), plus those in refuse stockpiles. To get the dead creatures into the refuse stockpile(s) you need to enable collection of refuse from the outside (it's off by default). You also need to have a butcher and a butchery, of course.

*A creature is butcherable is it's described as such in the raws, is large enough to result in anything when butchered (some young are too small). In addition to this, tame creatures killed through any other means than butchering (while live) are not butcherable (this is thought to be a bug). An exception to the last point is necro bacon, but that's definitely the advanced course.

veantur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 02:08:48 pm »

thank you very much
worked for me

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 10:53:35 pm »

While necromancers (or a biome where the dead spontaneously reanimate) can allow you to butcher tame creatures that have died by any other means, its very risky as you may get a reanimated head, or reanimated wool, or something that is unkillable.

Building lots of cage traps everywhere as a failsafe can help with this, but its still risky. A cage trap will catch any undead instantly, even undead that cannot be killed. While it may be invincible its trapped. You can then sell the caged animated wool on to a merchant. They'll have a lot of fun with that when opening up the cage, but at that point its not your problem anymore.

If you're looking for infinite meat/leather, dig into the caverns, and then line the caverns at the edge of the map with stone fall traps. You can also build directly to the edge of the map underground, so wall all the whole cavern except for one part. All animals will appear on the map in the available tiles, allowing you to decide where they spawn from. Have them spawn into a forest of stone fall traps. As soon as the existing group of animals is dead a new group will instantly spawn, and the dead animals can be hauled away and butchered, or even easier, build the butcher workshop immediately adjacent to all of the traps.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 02:15:28 am »

Building lots of cage traps everywhere as a failsafe can help with this, but its still risky. A cage trap will catch any undead instantly, even undead that cannot be killed. While it may be invincible its trapped. You can then sell the caged animated wool on to a merchant. They'll have a lot of fun with that when opening up the cage, but at that point its not your problem anymore.
One has to be careful doing this to only sell creatures you own (that are part of your fort); others will be just released from their cage by the haulers. Though reanimated alpaca wool gets full alpaca price.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 06:09:00 pm »

One has to be careful doing this to only sell creatures you own (that are part of your fort); others will be just released from their cage by the haulers. Though reanimated alpaca wool gets full alpaca price.

Yeah, you do not want to get into one of these situations: