Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How long before dwarf starves (vampire detecting)  (Read 1136 times)

kabads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How long before dwarf starves (vampire detecting)
« on: October 15, 2017, 03:03:47 am »

I've locked a suspect in their bedroom (happens to be my mayor- the only noble at this point - my original mayor died). How long before I can expect to see hunger pangs creeping in? She's been in there for a good while now (although I haven't timed it) and there's no complaints. There's something enabled within DFHack to let me know when creatures are close to starving, and I've had nothing for a while - she's even still in quite a good mood.

Also, if it does turn out that she's the vampire, what fun can I have with her? Or is it best to just leave her in there or lock her in a sealed workshop and work the shit out of her?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: How long before dwarf starves (vampire detecting)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 03:30:12 am »

DF2014:Food - Dwarf Fortress Wiki

Could check that your mayor doesn't have backpack with food due her military occupation.

You could convert some people to vampires. Though, mind that humans, goblins, animal people and elves who see enough death will also become alcohol-dependent. On the other hand, you can't suffocate a vamp in vomit via bartender.

You could also use her in minecart patrol application with crossbow and bolts.

kabads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 03:41:45 am »

Could I get the Vamp to mine underwater? How do I manage to keep her away from other dwarfs? Is this something that is really hard to manage once I let her out?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 08:32:17 am »

You can't get a vampire to work underwater. The only case of underwater work working is ghost animal tamers (and I've never seen that myself).

Vampires follow your orders most of the time, but when they go for a meal they won't respond. The only sure way to keep vampires from your dorfs is to keep them separated so they can't path to each other.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 01:41:16 pm »

I seem to recall a dwarf with starve in two months? It takes a month for them to get hungry.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.