Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: MLP Fortress is Magic  (Read 3357 times)

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
MLP Fortress is Magic
« on: October 15, 2017, 06:05:06 am »

I have been rebuilding the MLP mod, and got it to a point where it was worth running a fortress.  And DF, in it's amazing amazingness, threw up a world that inspired me to document.  Thus I present:

Onra Alu, The World of Wind

My Little Pony, Fortress is Magic

"The Phoenix can only rise from ashes"

This is a xX-flax paper book-Xx entitled "Vakist Minbaz, Epilogue"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is a x+flax paper page+x from the book "the journal of Thebil Poemstood, knight commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BycUjuf-6QPuV1VaR2VwUHg2UzA

If anyone can explain in simple terms how to put in a picture into the thread, please do :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 06:34:27 am by Aranador »

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Re: MLP Fortress is Magic
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 06:13:34 am »

This is a xX-flax paper book-Xx entitled "Vakist Minbaz, Epilogue
+1
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 07:00:08 am »

If anyone can explain in simple terms how to put in a picture into the thread, please do :)
1 Upload picture somewhere, say, imgur.
2.When it's uploaded, right-click on it, and pick "copy link to the image" or something like that.
3. Click on insert image button when writing post (in down-left corner), and Ctrl+V link in between [img][img]
4. Profit.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 03:58:28 pm »

.... .... ....

I really need to update my fortress as well
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 09:35:32 pm »

This is a -flax paper page- from the book "The Journal of Thebil Poemstood, Knight Commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

1st Slate, Y100

Two weeks have passed since we seven arrived at this site.  There were more who set out, but we've little hope that they'll find us, as our plans had changed rather drastically.  But where there is life, there is hope.

Perhaps if we can make this hole in the ground, courtesy of Shilrar, more homely than just a shallow mass grave tucked under our now hobbled wagons, the positive vibe of a haven might draw them in.  Or maybe if we set up a tavern or inn where Nashas could put on a show.  Or maybe if we actually had someplace to sleep and eat in what would pass for comfort.  Kurol is working hard creating some basic funishings out of some pine logs we had, after astounding us all with the construction of a masterwork pine minecart.  She dreams of running an inn, but she has a knack for carpentry it seems.

Shilrar is busy creating a shallow open air pit in the clay.  Nashas assures him that it will be faster than trying to prepare the topsoil directly.  "Soil" I say, but honestly, stripping out a layer of clay to get closer to the sand under it is probably good too.  Still, I'll leave the farming to Nashas and the other earth ponies.

We've rounded up the domestic animals into a makeshift pasture for the moment.  The sheep are carrying some fleece, so perhaps they'll get shawn soon enough, and maybe someone can knit up some new robes for us all?  Well - best not to get ahead of ourselves.  My role is military co-ordination, and I've done little towards that so far beyond donning the armour we have.  Ther is just so much basic infrastructure to be done.  Still - I might float the idea of a fence around our animal pasture - something occasionally spooks them, and we get an ox running around.  Personally, those ox remind me too much of the buffalo, and that makes me think of the threats out there waiting to find us.  Maybe a lively inn full of song and dance is not such a good idea.  But hard work can only satisfy so much - sooner or later we are going to need a 'normal' life too.

Princess Rithul set up a few simple minecart piles which allow us to consolidate important supplies like food into our underground shelter.  Tecak has broken some bauxite boulders into neat blocks, which were used to establish a few initial workshops.  Carpentry and masonry, alongside a crude smelter and forge.  She must now turn her hooves to the granite.  Perhaps Usal can make her some strong horseshoes to protect her hooves while she works.  Usal has already smelted out a few ingots of bronze, and Rithul has asked her to prepare a few essential tools and items, such as a saw for more precise wood woking.  I'll suggest a few chakka slings - I want as many people as possible to carry one, along with some chakka discs.  I, as a unicorn, can use magic to handle more sophisticated ranged weaponry, but the simple slot-and-sling chakka is something that any pony can employ, and the sling itself doubles as an effective club.  Of course, we'll need some chakka discs and a chakka bag for each of us too.  It is never as simple as simply throwing a rock at an agressive beastie.

We turn again to our tasks.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:45:25 am by Aranador »

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 02:42:10 am »

This is a x-flax paper page-x from the book "The Journal of Thebil Poemstood, Knight Commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

1st Felsite, Y100

We have the barest minimum of a functional settlement.  A hole in the clay ground serves as a cramped dormitory, and another as a communal eatery.  A virtual hole in the wall serves as the Princess' study, but she insists that it is all she needs.  Several workshops dedicated to various crafts crowd the wagons, and essential items are put together as we need them.

An air of normalcy has almost settled in on us.  We have a wait until the first crops can be harvested, but time is all they need now.  Princess Rithul has done up our accounts, and we have enough basic vegetables and beverages to hold us over comfortably.  There appear to be some fairly large recluse spiders living in the area, and we've apparently collected some of their webbing to make thread from.  We have also discussed the possibility of shearing the sheep.

Not everything has worked out how we had hoped however.  The grand plan was to continue to drop a mine ramp into the deep earth looking for metals from the entry ramp into our little subterranean hidey-hole.  But below the clay is black sand, and below that, a layer of white sand that is also an aquifer.  Now there are techniques for piercing an aquifer, but in the name of expedience, safety, and a little bit of hopefulness, the decision was made to dig a tunnel in the black sand layer over to a nearby hill, where the hope is that the aquifer levels will be different and it might be possible to thread our tunnel through the layer without, you know, disaster.  I'll leave the details to our miner.

As far as military preparedness goes, Osal smelted up some bronze and then forged a cutlass and some basic armour pieces.  They were actually pretty good, and better both in quality and material than the copper equipment I were using, so I happily upgraded.  We've also four chakka slings, but without more metal to turn into chakka discs, they're little more than bronze clubs.

I have asked for a training exercise area to be set up.  With the initial flurry of activity done, there should be time to conduct a few drills.  There is an abundance of potentially aggressive wildlife in the area, and some of it has grown to epic proportions.  I want ponies to be able to at least dodge a swipe from the tusks of an aggressive giant warthog.

We press forward, soon Tecak will have enough granite blocks ready that we can set up some defensive walls, and maybe even a few proper buildings for living quarters.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:45:41 am by Aranador »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 03:01:39 am »

Got to say, I'd love for these to stop being in spoiler tags.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 04:49:50 am »

I can do that :)

This is a X=flax paper page=X from the book "The Journal of Thebil Poemstood, Knight Commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

1st Hematite, Y100

And just like that, Summer has arrived.  I have a training patch ready, and I realise that bronze armour is pretty heavy (or I need to get into better shape.)

Our farm is producing, and third time lucky Shilrar found a way past the aquifer - it seems that it is mostly in the region of the rivers.  The initial plan to try and slip through the layers at the hill did not pan out as there was insufficient seperation, but a point where there appears to be a clear and dry path from surface to a layer of rock salt has now been discovered.

Rock salt is not as good a base layer for agriculture as one might hope for, but it seems the farm is working anyway - I suppose there is plenty of water.  On the other hand, there is a strong possibility for iron ore and coal deposits.

Finally, there is a modest supply of granite blocks available, and with a trusty bronze saw available, Kurol could start preparing some wood planks to build a simple fence around our sheep.

We've a team meeting scheduled shortly.  Our Princess wants ideas on what buildings and activities we need to focus on now.  I'll suggest we start military drills, and I imagine the others want a proper living arrangement.

We continue.

My first effort to see if I can add a picture

Cool - now how do I get it to not be flippin humungeous but sort of small and you click it and it is tadah big?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:27:41 pm by Aranador »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 05:09:25 am »

Much better. Regarding pictures, it needs to be a direct link, so if the URL doesn't end with .png/.jpg/.whatever, which yours doesn't, then you likely need to find one that does. (Of course, it's possible to have an image without an extension, but you probably won't.)

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 09:21:30 pm »

This is a x+flax paper page+x from the book "The Journal of Thebil Poemstood, Knight Commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

1st Malachite, Y100

I spent the month mostly in personal combat drills, but I feel without a partner at least to spar with, I accomplish little.  Meanwhile the other ponies have used the now cut granite stones to assemble the start of a modest tavern like structure, with plans for some small bedrooms above it.  It is believed that as early as next month the tavern part might be usable.

None too soon really.  I am feeling it, and others are too - the months of constant toil and lack of outlets for recreation.  Better than starvation, but it is far easier to focus on the negatives.  No - I am getting distracted - I need to focus.

I find myself wondering if any other ponies slipped away from our old home.  And if they would stumble upon us here.  By my estimate, if there are, they may find us soon.  And if they don't find us within the next three to four months, they may not find us at all.  I try to be hopeful.

Nearby, a wild apple tree is starting to fruit.  Plans are already being made to gather apples and brew cider.  I wouldn't mind a different beverage - the tree is close to the river, but the alligators have moved on, so it should be safe.

Her highness is in good spirits, and that gladdens my own heart.  We toil on for the future.

This is a xX-sheep wool cloth image-Xx

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 04:24:04 am »

This is a xX*flax paper page*Xx from the book "The Journal of Thebil Poemstood, Knight Commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

4th Malachite, Y100

There are no words.  Eight other ponies from our old home, lead by a here-to-fore unknown alicorn princess.  I immediately call for anti-changeling protocols.

The investigation begins.

This is a series of =engravings= on a x-copper sheet-x

Full Disclosure - I ran that particular fortress day about 400 times to collect some data and generally test my mod.  I stopped when this particular alicorn turned up - but in other time lines I had an alicorn turn up with her child, which proved at least that they could have families.  As far as data goes, alicrons are sufficiently rare for my tastes, and the overall male to female ratio is roughly where I expected it to be.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 05:43:30 am »

This is a X*flax paper page*X from the book "the journal of Thebil Poemstood, knight commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

1st Galena, Y100

What a tale.  Princess Ushdish has apparently been in an alternative dimension where everything is vastly different, however she recently fell back into this world by mechanism unknown.  Lost, disorientated, and alone, she was found by the other ponies of our old civilization, and together they were able to find our new little settlement.  Which means our new home hosts two alicorns - an auspicious omen for our existence.

We have completed a small tavern and six simple bedrooms in our accommodation tower - an event that should be quite the milestone, but the arrival of 9 new ponies is two steps backwards for that accommodation.  Our next goal is to add a simple temple - I know I have a few prayers to say, and then the floor above that will be six more bedrooms.

More importantly, our increased population means increased horsepower.  Now is the time the begin organizing personal defence weaponry for everyone.  Also training rotas.  Even so, everyone needs a bit of levity too - so I expect there to be a few parties in our new tavern.  We have a lack of instruments, but we can change that I am sure.

One thing in the back of my mind - if we can be found, even if it is by our own kind, then we can be found by our enemies.

Exploratory mining in the rock salt layer has yet to find any metals, although coal is plentiful there.  Perhaps we can up our smelting capability.  I wonder if any of our new residents have talent in that direction.

Life appears to be on the up and up, but there is work yet to do.

This is a X+sheep wool cloth image+X

« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 07:50:09 pm by Aranador »

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 04:04:10 pm »

Loving it so far. Could I claim the alicorn brewer please? Name her Sunny Smiles  :D

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 09:40:48 pm »

This is a +flax paper page+ from the book "the journal of Thebil Poemstood, knight commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

1st Limestone, Y100

So, everyone is pretty convinced that our new alicorn citizen is no changeling.  I suppose it is fair - the strength of those fiendly nations are sufficient that subterfuge is no longer necessary.  Apparently in her previous world, ponies took on a strange bipedal form, something like a minotaur but with soft heads and no tails.  They also spoke a nonsense language, but "Sunny Smiles" as she prefers to be known, took a liking to the sounds of the names over there and has adopted it as her own.  It almost feels like other ponies might choose to follow suite.  I may very well have to remember a whole slew of new names soon, to fill out the militia duty roster.

Speaking of which, I drew up a very modest plan for this week, for myself and two of the newcommers, Esrel and Noval (thats Noval Anurarzes, not Noval Anirgakiz, our carpenter) to do some basic drills and lectures.  Princess Rithul insisted on joining in as well.  Esar knocked out a few cutlass and buckler sets so that everyone could get a feel for handling these items, and we began with some demonstrations on dodging and sword use.  Her highness picked things up very quickly, and would occasionally help one of the others with a topic they were struggling with.

We dedicated the third floor of our sole building to religious activities, and many of us have made use of the space for reflection and prayer.  We held off on fourth floor work to focus on bringing in some more wild apples and other plants.

On the 18th, Princess Rithul summoned us all together, and announced that as of this day, she would take up the full title of Princess of the Lace of Enchantment, sovereign ruler of our nation.  Cheers all around met the announcement.  It is her right to make the claim, and in all fairness, there are more ponies of the Lace here than anywhere else, but a small part of me wonders if the claim was made more because there is now a second alicorn around.  Princess Sunny Smiles does seem to get along with most of us pretty well

The next day the Princess appointed Utost as the new expedition leader.  I asked her what influenced her choice, and she replied that he was the first pony she saw after realising she had better appoint someone to the role.  I suggested Bobrur might be a better candidate, and she immediately agreed that it made much more sense, and so Bobrur is now saddled with the day to day administrative tasks.  Princess Rithul graciously handed over her own tiny office workspace, then asked when could she expect a proper royal suite to be provided.  Poor Bobrur had no answer and stood there slack jawed.  The princess chuckled and gave Bobrur a big smile, telling her that any time would be fine, no rush.  Mentally I thought to add a no pressure clause to the end of that.

In all the excitement, the fact that Shilrar had found veins of hematite and tetrahedrite, along with a magnetite cluster was almost lost.  The discovery of significant metal ore deserves more fanfare, but princesses are everypony's favorite reason to celebrate.  With solid supplies of ore and coal, I'll ask for stocks of chakka discs to be made.  If I can have most non-military ponies packing self defence projectiles before winter, I'll feel significantly more secure.

Besides myself, I now have two other ponies with - lets face it - novice military training.  Also the Princess, but while I'll indulge her whims, I dont plan on having our monarch on the front lines.  Actually my preference would be to not need front lines at all, but I still can not shake the belief that war will find us, as it has for so many years.

We are a tad low on brewed beverages.  Tecak threw together a still and knocked out a batch of cranberry wine, then immediately drank it.  She brewed some more and promised to at least get a few pints in store before she goes back to her rock splitting.  I admire her hard work ethic and civil spirit.  And I think there are a lot of ponies who want to admire her more drinkable spirits up in the tavern too.  I am thinking we probably need to arrange better working facilities for this sort of thing.  Almost everything we do is still pretty much ad-hoc and off the hoof.

Even though I should continue drills into the new month, I can see there is a lot that needs doing, and every hoof helps in getting it done.  I might let this month slide with personal drills only, although if there appears to be too much of a break I'll fire up the training programme.  Honestly I do need a little me time - I'd like to visit the temple myself.

Much still to do, but life must also be lived.

It is typical that my initial exploratory tunnel looking for metals managed to somehow miss great piles of the stuff just one square either side of it.  Once I bumped into some gypsum I had a rough idea where the clusters were, forked over to find bauxite, and from there a quick backtrack soon found the good stuff.  Also seems to be a heap of platinum in the magnetite cluster, so everyone will get super shiny stuff - soonish.

Bayar - ooh - snagging an alicorn!  Sunny Smiles it is. Is there something you would like her to pursue?  Alicorns can basically do anything and everything really well, but her initial skillset was almost empty - a few dabbles and novice skills.

As far as other ponifications go - Thebil is kind of my central RP character for my narrative, and Rithul herself is a bit too key so I'll keep positive control on those two.  Anyone else is pretty much fair game.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 09:45:03 pm by Aranador »

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 06:07:30 am »

This is a XX=flax paper page=XX from the book "the journal of Thebil Poemstood, knight commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

1st Limestone

The undead!  Buffalo corpses animated by foul magics!  We are far from ready.  I order our squad to station at an intercept point, hoping we can all muster in time.

2nd Limestone.  We all arrive on station, as ready as we'll ever be.  And the Princess is here too.  Not what I wanted at all, but I suppose being a Princess of storms gives her a tempestuous nature.  I order a cautious advance - the enemy has the high ground on the hill, but with luck we can break up their formation and intercept the necromancer.

3rd Limestone.  We charge and engage the necromancer, who almost immediately panics.  Perhaps for the best that she is even greener at melee combat than we are.  Esrel slashes the enemy's leg and takes them down.  I follow up with a powerful buckler smash to their head, a dizzying blow but not fatal.  The necromancer panics as wounds are cut into her form.  I drive my cutlass firmly into her skull, ending her.

But there is no time to celebrate - the enemy's animated buffalo minions remain, and they'll autonomously seek flesh.  I order a regroup and we move to intercept the undead.

4th Limestone.  They sense us, and their ragged line turns to move towards us.  I see only four animated corpses - but even one is a threat to ill equipped novice soldiers.  I point to the nearest and declare a charge in the hope we can take them on one at a time.  A plan that fails as soon as I hatch it.

The melee is joined.  Fortunately for what ever reason the Princess nipped back to the fort - I think to pick up a set of chainmail barding.  Unfortunately both of my recruits are suffering, and we have no hospital - a situation that we might change immediately.  I manage to dispatch one corpse - three to go.

Of my two companions, one can no longer stand, the other is shaky on their hooves, but both fight on, slashing away at their unfeeling foes, hoping to reduce the corpses to inanimate chunks.  I finish a second zombie, and move to the next.

Esrel, despite bruising and battering, fights on, but I can see fatigue there.  None the less, she musters her strength and decapitates the zombie.  One left, just over the hill where it currently does not have our scent.  I order the charge, although I expect my fellows will rather need medical attention instead.

5th Limestone.  As I expected, my squad mates are in no condition to mount a pursuit.  I charge the last zombie alone, blocking its attacks and hacking into its sick flesh.  But this final zombie puts up a great fight, and to my horror, smashes my plate barding to pieces!  Unprotected, I suffer injuries.  In desperation, I fight on.  Suddenly a blast of magic energies whiz past.  Princess Rithul to the rescue.  I fight on through the pain.  My princess takes a few swings with her cutlass, while I get tenderized by repeated hoof blows against my bare flesh, my armour and robes now destroyed.  Finally, the Princess of the Storm gets serious, and sends a volley of magical energy into the zombie from point blank range, obliterating it.  Woah.

12th Limestone.  Merchants from the nearby civilization of the Pristine Lutes.  We trade a few things, but we are remarkably self sufficient.  As expected, there is no news at all from the Lace of Enchantment.

16th Limestone.  Our Princess forbids the export of crowns.  I lie next to a hospital bed being mummified in bandages and transfixed in splints, while held together with yarn.  I don,t think we have any crowns.  Or painkillers.

24th Limestone.  Three bedraggled refugees, the last of the ponies who had set out with us initially, stumble into camp.  They make their way to the tavern to rest.  Our civilization now numbers nineteen.

As this month closes, all of us agree that military preparedness must take number one priority.  Additional efforts to mine and smelt iron ore are undertaken, and basic weaponry alongside bulk supplies of ammunition are placed on order.  Protective armour will follow as quickly as possible.  The next floor of our tower will be dedicated to a proper hospital.

Much work to be done.  I lie in bed, trussed up like an effigy of rags and wood.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 06:54:20 pm by Aranador »
Pages: [1] 2 3