Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: MLP Fortress is Magic  (Read 3332 times)

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MLP Fortress is Magic
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 08:14:28 pm »

This is a x-flax paper page-x from the book "the journal of Thebil Poemstood, knight commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

1st Timber, Y100

I am recovering well, the same can not be said for Noval Anurarzes, who will be using crutches for the rest of her life.  Not that she is letting that stop her - She is up and about faster than I am.  I wonder if all these splints on my would absorb a blow in a fight?  I wonder if we could make iron splints?

Our iron mining is proceeding well, one of our newest migrants has a true talent for it.  We've yet to do much about smelting any of it, nor forge it.  Esar needs more help there.  She also brought me a curious lump of metal.  It almost looked like wood, thanks to the grain that appeared to be running through it.  Likewise it had a rainbow sheen even though it was totally dry of any sort of oil.  I thanked her, but she said I was silly and that it wasn't finished.  It needed major forge work.  She had already made a mallet for it, but she needed a suitable grind gemstone.  I looked at her blankly, and she just shrugged, saying I would soon see.

I then asked her about this mallet she claims to have prepared.  She showed me a granite block that had been banded in iron and with a decently long handle.  It was big.  I immediately had images of a group of strong ponies using these to smoosh zombies, and asked her if we could make more of these weapons.  She told me I was silly and that this was a tool, but I still asked her to make more.

Our tower now has six new bedroom spaces, pending furnishings, and the hospital layer is being started.  Much like everywhere, Tecak needs some help to keep up with the demand for granite blocks, but everyone is busy.

Always busy, much still to do

This is a x=sheep wool cloth image=x

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 09:47:08 pm »

This is a x*flax paper page*x from the book "the journal of Thebil Poemstood, knight commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

1st Moonstone, Y100

Winter arrives today.  I am free of bandages and splints at last, but I carry nearly a dozen scars and five stitches.  Noval Anurarzas shows only a fraction of these battle trophies, but she will bear that crutch for all her life now.  Esrel bears a few more scars, but overall is in much better shape.  Our meagre militia is back to what it was, mostly.

Everything seems to have slowed down, every pony worked to the bone.  There is no time I fear, but time must be made for rest and relaxation.  I finally got some prayers said, and I know others are needing some outlets for stress.  Perhaps we can arrange things so that all these needs are met.

Speaking of, our Princess orders an export ban on all bucklers and doors.  I am sure that is a wise decision.  Bucklers I understand - we need them.  And doors are probably not a marketable item.

Osal advised me that she had grabbed a suitable ruby to fashion into a grindstone for her sword smithing.  She seemed really excited.  From what I understand, this is all some sort of pegasus alchemy, a last secret after so many were lost when the fabled Weather Factory was destroyed in legend.  I smile at her.

We've set up a smelter directly in the cavern left by the magnetite cluster being mined out.  Osal is our only metalworker of any talent, but even for all her energy, she can not be in two places at once - and we need a store of fuel there as well, or the whole point of reducing hauling is moot.  Maybe if we stack supplies of the newly mined coal down there, we can alternate smelting iron with coke.

Too much to do.  Too much to worry about.  Sometimes it is just too hard to focus on it all.

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 12:48:52 am »

Bayar - ooh - snagging an alicorn!  Sunny Smiles it is. Is there something you would like her to pursue?  Alicorns can basically do anything and everything really well, but her initial skillset was almost empty - a few dabbles and novice skills.

She can tend the bar/stills  ;D

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 01:54:37 am »

This is a Xflax paper pageX from the book "the journal of Thebil Poemstood, knight commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

3rd Moonstone - Diamond Dog Thief !  Attack !  Two of them - the bigger, dumber variety.  They immediately flee when they realise they've been spotted.  A third is revealed as we move forward.  We give chase, but the 'Dogs are cowardly and quick, and are gone before we get close.  So be it.

10th Moonstone - Princess wants 3 doors, stat!  I think this is her way of rebelling against the lack of any sort of royal room, not that she says as much.

This is a xX+flax paper page+Xx from the book "the journal of Thebil Poemstood, knight commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

1st Opal, Y100

I have not been pushing for military training, but that simply must change.  Our iron smelting is only just starting up, and we've four new iron anvils ready for mass-amateur production of chakka discs.

The new hospital is established, eight beds and room to expand if needed.  We need to come up with some secure way of providing fresh water - we can draw from one of the failed aquifer piercing attempts but a better system is needed.  Something to be worked out anyway.

We've reasonable stocks of foods and drinks, and we have flax oil soap for hospital use.  The whole farming system is still an ad-hoc mess, but maybe at some point we'll be able to provide a more systematic layout of work spaces there.

The same could be said of just about everything we do.

Our lone tower is now half a dozen levels tall, with a spiralling access ramp wrapped around it.  The current level in progress is earmarked for a library, as more than a few of us are clamouring for a space suitable for intellectual activities.

There is also talk of establishing another tower, perhaps dedicated to food services.  Tecak is still producing granite blocks at pace.  We supplemented that with some wood blocks from local sand pear trees, which we used to fence in our domestic animals.

Security is still very weak - too much to do, not enough to do it with.  Osal is putting together a steel armour set to replace my smashed bronze armour.  I want her to punch out helmets for everybody, but steel smelting is an even slower business than iron, and there just isn't enough horsepower to go around.

So much work.

This is a x*sheep wool cloth image*x

Sunny Smiles has claimed a Still!  Sunny Smiles has claimed a Bar!
I'll endeavour to build a nicer bar when possible.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 01:56:26 am by Aranador »

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 03:52:22 am »

This is a xX#flax paper page#Xx from the book "the journal of Thebil Poemstood, knight commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

1st Obsidian, Y100

As the last month of the year starts, I reflect that we've all worked harder for this year than we ever had to under the rule of the buffalo.  But it is work for us, and for our home.  I am tired, and proud.  Our lone tower has a library at its summit, and while it waits for a roof which in turn will likely be another six small bedrooms, it is absolutely the centre of our nation.

We have good stocks of food and drink, and modest supplies of other consumables.  We have just set up a simple chakka disc production line, and we have enough smelting power (if not horse power) to provide iron and coke for it.  The new year promises expansion and refinement of all areas of our new life.

I have re-instated military drills, and soon I will be providing a new roster that will ensure all ponies receive basic defensive equipment and training, alongside those who will become professional soldiers.

Osal also presented me with a rather unique sword, the likes of which I have not seen before.  It is a much longer blade than our normal cutlass weapons, almost twice the length, however it is narrower both in width and depth.  Even so, the weapon is far lighter than I would have thought possible.  Its edge is murderously keen as well.  I can see the same odd grain-like pattern to the metal, as well as the rainbow like sheen, that was in the original sword blank.  Osal informs me that this is the first time such a blade has been forged in recorded history, and apologises profusely for having done a mediocre job.  For a lost art though, the sword still appears better than any other in the settlement.  She hopes it will serve me well, and I graciously accept this gift.  First a new suit of steel plate barding, and now this.  A colt could get used to this attention.

Just one month of Winter to go, and much work to be done so we can be ready to wrap it up for Spring.

The katana is one of the most complicated reactions I have attempted, and I was very pleased that it worked first time.  Unfortunately the reaction uses Alchemy, and I have no way to practice alchemy, so the sword was essentially made with mere dabbling skill.  I might change the final sword reaction to weaponsmithing, or perhaps I will include enough alchemical reactions that the skill can be trained - this sword is already 278 pct sharper than the best bronze sword in the settlement.

becomes

The decorations come as part of the weapon reaction.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 06:31:39 pm »

This is a xX-flax paper page-Xx from the book "the journal of Thebil Poemstood, knight commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

1st Granite, Y101

And so we live to see the new year.  Our settlement could well be called a hamlet - we've food and shelter, entertainment and security.  Nothing in great quantity, but a minimum of everything.  The decision has been made to place an open air recreation space on the top of our current tower, and from there to adjunct an additional tower annex that shall become the Royal Compartments - Meanwhile a new industrial tower will be constructed.

I am drafting militia assignments for everyone.  While we have insufficient equipment, making those items is a high priority.  Although a new threat is looming - many of us are - in effect - lonely.  Toiling day in and day out leaves little time for being a community, for being friends.  The Princess is calling for a holiday of sorts - a celebration of the new year.  For this month, all work tasks will be suspended, save only time critical ones.

I fear every task may just be time critical.

1st Slate, Y101

Other than a single diamond dog thief trying to sneak in (who was efficiently dispatched by our Princess in two sword swings after bocking the dog's initial attack), the month was quiet.

Rather I should say, the month was noisy, as merriment, song, and conversation were commonplace.  I kinda stuck to personal combat training, but I can tell the chance to unwind was welcome all round.

But party month is over, and work must again begin.

I am of two minds - to continue this fortress, or to take what I have learned and refine the mod, for a restart.  So many ideas.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 06:57:27 pm by Aranador »

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 10:11:49 pm »

This is a X*flax paper page*X from the book "the journal of Thebil Poemstood, knight commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

8th Slate - Esar gave birth to a boy!  She and her husband Utost are proud as peach to introduce Tunur Emadtosed, a fine young pegasus sporting a chestnut coat, dramatic red mane and tail, and amber eyes.  He seems like a real gem of a foal.

17th - Migrants?  From where?  How many?? Nineteen???  Whhhaaaaaattt???  Holy double population boom!!  I sure hope they brought their own accomodation tower !  Apparently they have fled other lands to escape the growing tyranny of necromantic forces and dark cults.

20th - All ponies are assigned to one or more relevant militia squads.  roughly half are simply there for uniform assignments so they can carry self defence chakka, while most of the rest are assigned with a view to start training skills as well.  My Princess insists on remaining in active duty, so I have designated my squad as her Command HQ.  We have another squad also training in sword combat, and a pegasus lance unit too.  Those two squads are on a light training schedule to allow them time to do other things.  There is a more full time guard squad as well - focusing on training for now, but later they will incorporate security patrol duties.  All we need now is - weaponry.  I look with hope to our weaponsmiths.  Oh and armour.  And horseshoes.  And maybe travel flasks.

Too much still to do.

25th Slate - Kurol - the new one, Sibrekkatdir, has become withdrawn - unusually so.  Could it be the work of necromantic magic?  Changeling influence?  The guard stands, well, ready is a stretch, but they'll beat the demonic possession out of her if it comes to it.  I should consider instating a sheriff force.  Anyway she turfed Tecak from her mason shop, grabbed two pieces of granite, and started bashing away.  No real harm except now Tecak needs a new shop to turn out blocks from.

1st Felsite, Y101

Other than a slightly mad pony, the month past seemed to proceed well.  With nineteen new settlers and one birth, our hamlet thrives.  It was decided to extend our existing tower by a couple more levels to provide more accommodation, and the barest start has been made on the site for the new agricultural tower.

All ponies are assigned military station and equipment, although filling that order of battle will take some time.  Food and drink stocks are solid, although perhaps could stand for increase given our population spike.

Mineral availability is great - the rock salt under the clay and sand has offered up a second magnetite cluster, and we haven't even begun to explore more than the top of it.  There is a desire to press deeper though, to see if we can hit flux in some form - marble I am told might be our only hope there - we are just about out of chalk - and that means no more steel.

Much work to be done, but the payoff is already showing.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 01:30:16 am »

This is a X=flax paper page=X from the book "the journal of Thebil Poemstood, knight commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

2nd Felsite - Kurol Sibrekkatdir has created Ralvush, a granite armour stand !  All Craftponyship is of the highest quality.  The object menaces with spikes of granite.  On the item is an image of a tapered baguette cut gem in granite. 

Now that is hard rock.  The princess wants this in her room, which she doesn't have - hint hint.  Take your time.  DO IT NOW!  No rush.  Do not export any crowns, doors, or bucklers.

1st Hematite, Y101

Our new industrial tower hasn't really progressed, as the tower adjunct for the Princess has taken priority.  The first floor is about done, which will become her office space and reception throne.  The plan is for two additional floors for dining and sleeping, plus a small loft for a private retreat.

Many ponies now carry a chakka sling and a bag of discs.  A run of helmets are being pushed out to keep everyone's head safe, and additional armour pieces will be made when possible.

Our textile industry has been ad-hoc, like all the rest, but I cant help but feel people would like new clothing, to replace pieces that are getting worn.  We have an accommodation shortage, and the rooms we have could well do with more than just a bed, although I think I would like to see bigger accommodation spaces.

Our metal industry is crammed into the space left by a magnetite cluster, and it is most unpleasant.  I would like to see a second industrial tower for that.

Lots of towers, lots of dreams, lots of work.  Lots.

This is a X-sheep wool cloth image-X

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 01:57:24 am »

This is amazing.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 05:32:23 am »

This is a X-flax paper page-X from the book "the journal of Thebil Poemstood, knight commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

21st Hematite - Migrants - more of them!  Nine in total.  And at their head - oh my.  A majestic pony, no not just a pony, but an alicorn.  Her white coat and her flowing, sparkling pink mane and tail speak volumes of her power.  She is a Princess of the Sun, the alicorn Ertal Igesternam.  We now have a trio of these powerful beings.  Surely our land is thrice blessed.  I sometimes wonder if our Princess knew of these other alicorns hidden from popular knowledge, and claimed rulership early.  Surely not.  Although even I can practically feel the regality of Ertal as she passes.  She informs me that she too will be joining my Command HQ squad.  Yes, my lady.  I hastily allocate the remaining eight new comers to squads as appropriate for their skill sets.  Our militia is now quite strong in terms of numbers, all that remains is to catch up in equipment.

27th Hematite - I feel as if Princess Rithul has learned enough to safely spar, and I think she realised it, as she challenged me to a sparring match.  Quite a duel.  I still held the edge in technical skill, parrying and dodging the majority of Rithul's attacks, however my princess is surprisingly aggressive - again possibly being the Princess of Storms causes this.  She would take every opportunity to charge, and I confess I was knocked on my flank often enough.  Still - soon I feel I will broach the subject of her moving to one of the reserve squads - I will present the idea as her taking on the training and leadership role.  I wonder if she will accept the idea.  Oooof - crikey on my flank again.  I think I need to make sure my princess is sparring with someone else in future if only for my own sake.

1st Malachite, Y101

The princess' quarters are nearly done, just the roof needing to be completed.  A bare floor for our first industrial tower is in place.  Construction is moving along well now that our population is high.

The flip side is, our community is now definitely "on the map" which means our enemies will find out about us, if the diamond dogs have not already sold our location to them.  None the less, we are at the very least, prepared from an organizational sense, and every day sees our material readiness improve.

We have had a massive population boom amongst our dogs.  I will arrange for them to be trained and stationed as pickets against invaders.  While it is cruel, most of the male animals have now been gelded - living in an overcrowded pen would be a greater cruelty.

Apparently we produced our first sheet of paper today.  What have they been doing up in the library?  Anyway, there is a demand for more - lots more.  Not sure if we can provide, but we shall see.

Our textile industry has also stalled.  We really need that second industrial tower, not to mention the first.

The time has come for me to rest my bruises.  My Princess is a battering storm in training - I'd rather she wasn't in the thick of a combat, but perhaps our enemies would prefer that too.

This is a x=sheep wool cloth image=x

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2017, 06:48:08 pm »

This is a x+flax paper page+x from the book "the journal of Thebil Poemstood, knight commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

10th Malachite - Suddenly all our animals start pouring out of our pen.  It seems some wild donkey wandered in there, and those cranky so-and-so's are always up for finding something to complain about.  So it kicked one of our dogs.  You know what?  Command HQ - terminate the donkey.  Go!

I really should not be surprised, but my princess charged right on in, gored the donkey deep to the spine on her horn, slashed it badly with her sword, then decapitated it on the back swing.  I want her protected, but she may be the most effective warrior we have.

I have ordered Command HQ to stand down for the rest of the month.  We have been training hard.

It is with sadness that I also order the wounded dog put down.  The animal is suffering, and will be crippled for life.  Farewell, brave pooch.

1st Galena, Y101

The Princess's tower is complete.  Seems just about everyone snuck up to have a quick snooze in the royal beds during the construction, but now the room has been officially reserved as for her majesty's use.

Our weaponry for our official militia units is complete, although we need some more chakka slings for the non-militia citizens.  And more discs.

Our glass industry is up, albeit only barely.  With it, we can actually complete some of the more unusual instruments, and finally stock our temple and inn with those - parties will be more musical.

We can now turn our attention to our industrial tower.  The foundations are done, so we should be able to start setting up in there very soon, but the full scope will take a while to realise.

There is also the matter of meeting the Princess's expectations on the standard of her tower.  We've platinum a plenty so I expect we can get there.

I should see if I can get a few more cloudsteel katana commissioned.  I feel as if my princess would make great use of such a weapon.

Finally, while we've still plenty of food, I think we could do with a little more drink in our stockpiles.  That is probably the first area to be improved on with out new tower.

Work still to be done.

This is a X+sheep wool cloth image+X

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2017, 09:50:15 pm »

This is a -flax paper page- from the book "the journal of Thebil Poemstood, knight commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

15th Galena - Osal Udistkatdir Withdraws from society!

24th Galena - Osal creates Zustashmegid "AncientSlides", a platinum chakka sling.  All craftponyship is of the highest quality.  It is decorated with feather wood and encircled with bands of platinum.  On the item is an image of a cushion cut gem in shining emerald, and of ostriches in fire clay.

I attempt to convince our princess to use this weapon, and take up a role as squad leader of our hoplite squad, but she graciously declines and passes the weapon to Sunny Smiles, who already leads one of our civilian hoplite units.  So much for that plan.

1st Limestone, Y101

Autumn has come.  Osal has gained inordinate talent for weapon smithing, and has produced a few choice weapons of steel.  Many ponies still await the production of weapons and armour, but industry is making progress.  Our new industrial tower has its first functional floor, dedicated to production of drinks.  Likely the 2nd floor will be similarly dedicated, then the third and fourth to food processing.  Somewhere in there will be a floor or three for preparing fine meals.

A second tower devoted to textiles is being planned.  The metal industry is functional if ugly for now so a dedicated tower was bumped back.  Finally a new accommodation tower is needed, one with a little more space and facilities.

Dare I be hopeful?  Will things start to get a little easier?  So much work to do yet.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2017, 02:13:40 am »

This is a xflax paper pagex from the book "the journal of Thebil Poemstood, knight commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

1st Sandstone, Y101

When is a siege not a siege.  When no one turns up!  We have spent the entire month on an alert on suspicion of a siege, but there is no sign of anything hostile anywhere.  War horns bellow, but attacks do not appear.  Everyone is tense, but we try to get on with normal life, all the while keeping weapons close.

We have taken the ugly option of pasturing some animals on a picket line around our settlement.  Cruel and crude, but it might save us all.

1st Timber, Y101

The phantom siege of not much continues.  We largely ignore it, but perhaps that complacancy will be our undoing.

Progress is being made on all fronts, little more can be said, other than there is still more work to do.

P.S.  I am a bit concerned that something is broken, and that is why there is a siege of nothing.  I'll wait and see if the siege clears off on its own.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 04:35:42 am by Aranador »

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2017, 03:05:02 am »

This is a x-flax paper page-x from the book "the journal of Thebil Poemstood, knight commander in service to Princess Rithul Amugsunggor"

1st Granite, Y102

And so we have survived for two years in our new home - even thrived.  For ages now, the threatened siege has failed to appear, and we have become blasé about the potential threat.  Our militia trains hard and gains in skill and equipment.  We feel safe, secure, and happy.

Is the hard work finally paying off?  Finally slowing down?  Rumour has it that some dark eldritch hackamancy might unstick the siege, or perhaps we will exist in a state of eternal peace from now on.

The peace has let us start on multiple towers, our hamlet becomes village.

If this game can no longer receive attacks thanks to this bug, I'll probably retire the fort, expand the mod a little, and start again.  The point here was that there were no less than six possible invading forces. and if they aren't coming, the point is lost
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 03:07:12 am by Aranador »

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2017, 04:49:28 am »

1st Hematite, Y102

1st Limestone, Y102

Towers continue to rise, but the save seems irreparably broken, with the siege still 'going' but nothing else.  There should have been raiders and undeads and thieves and snatchers, but nothing.  So I am going to retire this fort, further improve my mod, and try again.

Thank you all for reading, and I hope you enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:24:53 am by Aranador »
Pages: 1 [2] 3