Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wiki down?  (Read 10960 times)

cdombroski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wiki down?
« on: October 15, 2017, 12:45:13 pm »

Getting "no database connection" and "503 service unavailable" pages for articles

Grateful42

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Wiki down?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 12:05:26 am »

I was wondering about this as well, as an aside, I had to disable java and cookies on the wiki a month ago after i noticed some 400+ odd cookies active while browsing. and every add was blasting incomplete sound as adds fought for time on the page :S

Admiral Badger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 09:02:15 am »

Yeah, I noticed it too, right in the middle of modding DF no less. Not a clue what's going on though.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 10:46:48 am »

It’s been down for 6 days guys.
http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/dwarffortresswiki.org.html
Would telling toady help?
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 11:04:15 am »

Probably wouldn't hurt for him to know about it, but I doubt he'd be able to do anything. As far as I know the wiki is a fan-driven project and Toady has little to no control over what goes on there.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 11:06:56 am by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 11:09:45 am »

It's not down for me, but there's serious formatting issues (can't tell definitively, on this device, but looks like the .css resources are not being sent to my browser).

It's a bit off in operation, and after hearing of other people's problems with the site I am being cautious not to expose myself to anything bad that might have been floated atop it, but the basic things I've looked at look correct and unpolluted to me, just with the styling dialed down to (effectively) zero.

And I don't know, off the top of my head, who set up http://dwarffortresswiki.org in the first place (it'll be one of the prime-movers in this subforum, probably) but I don't think it's Tarn doing it.  (It's registered via (probably quite sensible) Privacy Guarding details, upon quickly checking the Whois, so no obvious information from there but maybe what it gives is still a valid contact address, if the person involved is still 'at the other end' of the email forwarding links...)

(Ninjaed, on this last point!)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 04:50:38 pm »

Locriani (Briess on the wiki) is one of the people who hosts the wiki, along with Emi/Emily. I unfortunately forgot about this and didn't realize it was still an issue (although I'm fairly sure the "6 days" thing is wrong, since this was the first report I saw, and I remember checking the wiki less than a week ago). Anyway, Locriani just got back to me and said he'd take a look soon.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 05:19:05 pm »

Looking now. Preliminary is that it looks like someone was able to gain unauthorized access to the database server via a vulnerability, and used it to install a port scanner which squelched the database process.

I'm working on restoring a backup of the server, then I'm going to dump the database, re-set up the server as a fresh install, and reinstall / set up the database again.
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 05:34:39 pm »

Looking now. Preliminary is that it looks like someone was able to gain unauthorized access to the database server via a vulnerability, and used it to install a port scanner which squelched the database process.

I'm working on restoring a backup of the server, then I'm going to dump the database, re-set up the server as a fresh install, and reinstall / set up the database again.

Port scanner? That doesn't sound too good. Has the wiki has been hosting malware for the past few days?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 05:38:33 pm »

It looks like the database server itself was running a port scanner. There's no sign of compromise or unauthorized access on any of the other nodes, but to be safe, I'll be doing a full breach analysis this weekend (unfortunately I can't take time off the day job to investigate further).
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 05:50:14 pm »

Wiki is going down for the database rebuild now.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 07:03:12 pm »

We are back up.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 12:55:31 am »

for me it says "There appears to be a problem. We are working on a fix."
Edit: It is working now.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 01:47:58 am by Zavvnao »