Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Doki doki literature club: only META~  (Read 18509 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Doki doki literature club: only META~
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2017, 10:28:03 am »

Doing some research, all of their files contain little secrets, though not all of them are picture based. They end up leading to some really creepy pasta shit once you go down the rabbit hole far enough.

That said... Thoughts!

I like to think that this game has sort of changed my views on people suffering from mental illness. It helps to think that sometimes, there is a bit of Monica pressing down and making things worse for a person. Only, instead of Monica, it's their own bodies playing hell on them. The only thing one can do, I to simply be with them. Sometimes their illness gets it's way and other times their true personality soars.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2017, 07:34:28 pm »

On a considerably sillier note, I want to point out how the end part of this game follows the same arc as Portal 2.

So, the main antagonist has the player trapped in a space which she has total control over, and wants to hang out / test with you forever and ever.
Player doesn't like that, and does some stuff to depose the villain. As a side effect, a other, seemingly harmless character is put in the same position of power, and pretty much instantly turns to evil. Probably even worse than the antagonist, because they're not intended for that spot.
Original antagonist returns and helps the player depose the new antagonist, and decides to let the player go rather than try to trap them or take revenge. And sings you a nice song.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2017, 09:03:27 pm »

Finished this game in one sitting last night, regular ending, not secret ending since I didn't use spoilers for the playthrough.

Thoughts:

I don't usually (read: ever) play the dating sim genre, but since I knew going in there were plot twists, I decided to give it a shot. There's a huge amount of text and 90% of the game is pressing the left mouse button to get the next text bubble, which validates my previous opinions of the base game genre.

The game makes heavy use of anime tropes in order to subvert them later. I don't much care for anime of this genre either, but again I was prepared to go through it to get the twist at the end.

When it came to gameplay, I immediately locked on to the character Yuri for the choice of who to show interest towards during the main game sequences. Mostly because at the start, she was the only one that looked even remotely adult, and towards the end, because who wouldn't want to date a girl that's completely devoted to your happiness and has a thing for kinky fetishes?

Anyway, left clicked my way through the game for a few hours, got the first restart after losing Girl Next Door to teen angst, got to start to see the subversion of the genre in the next playthrough with glitch goodies before Yuri comes to a sticky end. The sequence here got me for a moment until I discovered the Skip command, and I really enjoyed the time lapse sequence you're rewarded with during this phase, especially the subtle changes in the static Yuri image.

The style choices in the creepypasta portions weren't something I found too emotionally triggering, but then I don't suppose I was ever going to become emotionally invested in the characters in the first place. I enjoyed the meta level of the game with deleting Monika's file, which raises the bar of the total game and does something interesting beyond left clicking.

Overall, I'd rate this game favorably. I feel like the game does a decent job of playing with the structure and expectations of what a game should be, through subverting established tropes. The plot wasn't able to get me emotionally invested to any great degree, but that's likely due to personal taste more than anything else.

If I had to pick a metric for comparison, I'd rank this against The Stanley Parable. Both games use stylistic choices within the game to allow breaking the 4th wall between the player and the game's character. Both use subversion of expectations to create disunity between the expected course of the game's narrative and the true outcome. Both utilize restarts as a tool to allow progressive exploration of the game content. I think The Stanley Parable does it better, but that's just, like, my opinion, man.

I also liked the poems. Would have liked to read more of those during the game instead of creepypasta.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2017, 05:36:05 pm »

Haven't finished yet, but here are some slightly spoilerific notes and questions I have. And I'm not really looking for an answer, I just wanna chat about what I have in mind. So thoughts so far:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention this, but I found this in the game log:

Screen sizes: virtual=(1280, 720) physical=(1184, 666) drawable=(1184, 666)

That's right, the physical and drawable screen sizes are 1184 by 666. If that isn't on purpose I don't know what is.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 05:57:08 pm by Derpy Dev »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2017, 05:42:03 pm »

Hehe. [REDACTED]
Okay, I typed some stuff, but really it's probably best if you don't know anything.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2017, 07:59:21 pm »

Well Derpy, I don't want to ruin your experience, but if you want to find out more about Natsuki, you should continue writing poems for her after the festival. Also, don't read anything else in this thread. It will spoil you like it spoiled me (I only got slightly spoiled thankfully, I was still suprised by the horror and mostly got the intended experience. Only one moment was weakened).

I'm just curious, but what version of the game are you using? The steam version or the one downloaded off of the official website?

PS: Hang in there, the game gets very tough at some points, but it's worth it if you stick with it until the end. You'll know when you see the credits
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:02:30 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2017, 08:32:38 pm »

Well Derpy, I don't want to ruin your experience, but if you want to find out more about Natsuki, you should continue writing poems for her after the festival. Also, don't read anything else in this thread. It will spoil you like it spoiled me (I only got slightly spoiled thankfully, I was still suprised by the horror and mostly got the intended experience. Only one moment was weakened).

I'm just curious, but what version of the game are you using? The steam version or the one downloaded off of the official website?

PS: Hang in there, the game gets very tough at some points, but it's worth it if you stick with it until the end. You'll know when you see the credits

1. Spelled her name wrong apparently lol. Thought it was Natsumi.
2. Thanks for the tip, I'll do that.
3. The version you download off of itch.io.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2017, 08:36:50 pm »

Wait, where was this game very tough? I just clicked Forward a bunch of times and horrible things happened to other people. Which is about par for videogame stories, really.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2017, 09:00:02 pm »

Yep, it's mostly an interactive novel. The game as such isn't especially challenging or difficult to complete.

Welp, I went back and did a replay of this to get the special ending. Not much changed overall, except a bit of backstory to Natsuki that I didn't get on the first run. If you wanted to know her lore Derpy, pick Natsuki to focus on writing for after the first reset, then pay attention to Monika's replies when you show the group your poems.

Still a decent way to spend a few hours killing time. My favorite animation definitely has to be the single frame Natsuki vomit splash on the day of the festival ver. 2.0.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2017, 10:02:20 pm »

OH MY GOD.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2017, 10:07:04 pm »

Yeah. This is where things get FUN~
Don't feel too bad about your own actions. This is definitely someone else's fault.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2017, 10:13:02 pm »

I went into this really enthusiastically with high hopes but after over an hour in I suddenly realised where the game was going, and that i just wasn't invested at all in the characters.

And if I don't care about the plot that's being laid on really thick for me, and I can't bring myself to care about a single one of the characters (yes even you Monika), I guess there's nothing to make me want to keep playing a graphic adventure... novel... game... however you describe it

On the other hand it was free, and I like free things.

Overall rating: Don't See What The Big Deal Is About/10
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:15:03 pm by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2017, 10:52:14 pm »

I've decided that I can't possibly wait till morning to continue this, so I've decided why not, I'll continue this right now. This is what happened.

EDIT: New notepad appeared called, "CAN YOU HEAR ME". This game sure does love its creep factor.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:56:52 pm by Derpy Dev »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2017, 11:07:26 pm »

ACTUALLY

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2017, 12:25:57 am »

Wait, where was this game very tough?
I mean't emotionally speaking. There are people out there who literally cannot complete the game because it's too devastating for them. I'm not one of them, but I do feel sorry for those who can't experience it in its fullest.

Stay calm Derpy. I also had to take a break after Sayori died.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8