Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fortress Plans for next Update  (Read 3302 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Plans for next Update
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 04:21:38 pm »

Kobolds will have caves and poison traps.

Modded-in poison traps? Do you happen to have the raws for those?

Toady mentioned Kobolds will have expanded cave system, and access to poisons and traps; since it is they (Kobolds) have an active in stealing artifacts in the world.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 04:23:20 pm »

I'm not sure that bit about poison traps is correct.  Seems like there was some misunderstanding about what Toady meant.  I think he just fixed the ability for kobolds to have poisoned weapons, or something like that?  I believe it was an old feature that was broken at some point.

Anyway, on the subject of kobolds, I was planning on modding it so that they were playable and playing a kobold fort.  Not Kobold Camp though, some closer to normal DF dwarves, except everyone hates you and wants to kill you.

Halfway considered trying to do a community game based on it, but it would probably just draw criticisms of "Why isn't this Kobold Camp if it's kobolds?"  That and I'm kind of tired of doing community games, even years later, so it'll just be for my amusement.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 04:52:38 pm »

Ah, that looks like a good reason to do Dwarven Child Care again. I think I'll send all boarding school graduates out to wreak havoc in neighbouring civilizations as their final exam.

Here's a question. Are children able to train skills by being in proximity to others and observe their work?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 06:09:44 pm »

Here's a question. Are children able to train skills by being in proximity to others and observe their work?

Nothing past Observation, which is trained simply by watching others fight or spar.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 07:45:48 pm »

Nothing past Observation, which is trained simply by watching others fight or spar.
I remember once upon a time adding a feature request for dwarfen schools.  Like a zone you could designate, where dwarfs with teaching labors would organize all the dwarfen children periodically for activities.  Sometimes they do story-time where the teacher tells them a tale from history, other times another dwarf visits and they do a "career day" where they pick up some minor ability in a relevant skill, and it gives the scribes and scholars something to do with their books besides debate each other. 

At the least it would help keep the little tykes out of trouble.  At the worst, it would make it easier for players to run kids through a gauntlet of death traps so they grow into the toughest of adults. 

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 10:15:51 pm »

I dunno about getting children to join demonstrations, but I suppose one could hack stuff like once per day give all no-job children within 10 tiles of a discussion 1 exp in the relevant skill. Would get them to be up to around mid-Skilled in 11 years if they pay attention.

Main impact would be mechanics moods, I guess.

I dunno if you could make "Do Masonry demonstration" and/or attach it to zone as an activity, but same idea could work for children near (their parents) working in masonry shops as well, I imagine.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 10:47:50 am »

I'm not sure that bit about poison traps is correct.  Seems like there was some misunderstanding about what Toady meant.  I think he just fixed the ability for kobolds to have poisoned weapons, or something like that?  I believe it was an old feature that was broken at some point.

I've just added poison weapon traps, not poisoning weapons more generally (aside from the code that already existed).
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 12:04:16 pm »

Some modding primarily after i've explored the new stuff in vanilla mode and observed what it can do.

Firstly im going to send out a modded goblin fortress to loot & sack as many towns as i can get my grubby hands on then put all the slaughtered invaders heads on plinths to serve as aesthetic warnings. Steal some artifacts & resources on my way doing it.

Afterwards ill probably mod in some sentient alternative egg laying races to inhibit kobold sites and just tweak my world & RAWS until im happy.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 12:08:26 pm »

I think there's going to be display case in the next release. 
A museum of severed heads instead of head-on-a-pike would be something new.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2017, 12:41:40 pm »

I've just added poison weapon traps, not poisoning weapons more generally (aside from the code that already existed).

Hey, at least I got the part about there being a misunderstanding correct.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2017, 12:57:57 pm »

I think there's going to be display case in the next release. 
A museum of severed heads instead of head-on-a-pike would be something new.

Sentient skull totems in cabinets or on the display plinths would be a good second best to actual heads if they dont loosen easily off dwarf shoulders.

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2017, 01:09:32 pm »

I have planned a nano embark 1x1, optimizing the FPS.
Without QSP, but complete use of Manager, profiles and armor in all dwarves, and pick all the Dwarves i can have.

I need to test the limit of my computer, and search new FPS tricks.
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2017, 11:04:53 pm »

Since there's an update to weapon traps (with poisoning), does that mean the bug where they wear out and crash your game is going to be fixed? If so, I'm definitely going to have to make a hallway full Indiana-Jones-style weapon traps and have it lead to a goblet and mug stockpile.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 12:11:33 am »

It's going to be fixed, but only kobolds will get poisoned weapon traps.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2017, 10:15:24 am »

Question: is there a stat in the raw that can be edited to slow the learning rate? 

I am thinking, say modify kobolds to act like dwarves in the sense they do similar labors. 

But will it be possible to have kobolds mine and use picks and forge metals, but a much slower pace (slower exp gain) than dwarfs?

So if an embark with a dwarf that can dig from surface to magma sea (100z for example) in 1 season; then can the raws / stats be change for kobolds to dig 100z in a year instead?
Pages: 1 [2] 3