Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Opus Magnum (Zachtronics): Automatic Alchemy  (Read 13517 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: New Zachtronics game: Opus Magnum
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2017, 02:37:14 pm »

DX version numbers are basically just disguised DRM to try to get people to get newer versions of windows.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2017, 04:45:06 pm »

Put it in? Are you kidding me? I'm no expert on DirectX, but there are major differences between versions. It's not as simple as changing a variable from 11 to 9.

It was not all that long ago that I was stubbornly sticking with Windows XP SP1, and I recall several games that required DX10 or 11 and I found workarounds that forced them to use DX9, after which I was able to run them without a hitch. I'm no graphics software expert either, but apparently yes, it is that simple in some cases.

What was the workaround? Were you swapping out DLL's?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2017, 07:51:10 pm »

What was the workaround? Were you swapping out DLL's?

Exact methods varied between games and programs; but generally, yeah, swapping out dll's.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2017, 08:56:28 pm »

and it's the most popular OS anyway...
by a wide margin yes. Which is why it's reasonable to assume you will use it

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2017, 06:30:16 pm »

Well, a quick search indicates to me that the only real differences from dx9 to dx11 was the addition of tesselation and multithreaded rendering. Dx10 added more stuff, but not much regarding output (well, it did add anti-aliasing).
this might be true if you just look at the supported features, but its completely wrong if you look under the hood.
the argument "they only do it to sell new versions" is also nonsense. with that argument you could demand that microsoft or the game developers would still support windows 3.11 as well.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 06:31:48 pm by motorbitch »

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2017, 12:34:14 pm »

The latest journal just came with a new element, two related new glyphs, and a Sigmar's garden variant. Everything's available in the puzzle editor, so it'll be interesting to see what develops.
Eh?
Eh!

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2017, 04:54:22 pm »

I did it!  I feel a little embarrassed for being slower, bigger, and more expensive than like all the rest that've been posted, but it looks pretty so whatever.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also liked how these uns turned out:

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2017, 02:30:07 am »

788 cycles.
*twitch*
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2017, 07:02:47 pm »

I haven't been following this, but I just saw a GIF of such a puzzle. Looks much like the typical Zachtronics puzzle to me. The thing making me more interested in this than the other Zactronics game is that this one looks like I'd be able to actually 'complete'... up until I saw that epilogue bit.

Still, it's 10% off right now which is fairly generous considering it's still a new game and not even not 'finished' yet, thinking about getting it (and being terrible at it) anyways. At the very least I'll get that sweet soundtrack I was after.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2017, 10:17:49 pm »

They announced a new game! It's available in three days, as Early Access probably, but Zachtronics always delivers.

It's a snazzy successor to the Codex of Alchemical Engineering, way more closely related than the previous spiritual successor SpaceChem, and I guess here's where the name comes from.
Sold, PTW, I have never been disappointed by this guy.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Opus Magnum (Zachtronics): Automatic Alchemy
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2017, 03:08:48 pm »

Ah, so this is out!  $20, though it might be 10% off.  I can't see the discount now, but it was there a couple hours ago when I bought it.
I'm barely in, but so far seems cool.  I did love the Codex of Alchemical Engineering.

Gotta ask though:  Is there really no way to zoom out?  I'm constantly worrying about losing pieces off the side of the screen.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2017, 05:56:47 pm »

Nah, there's apparently no way to zoom, you can just scroll with rightclick-drag. But if you're worried about losing pieces, just record a gif of your solution, it autoadjusts to your solution and you'll quickly notice any extra pieces.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2017, 06:37:25 pm »

Gonna be honest, I hope that gets changed...
I'm definitely enjoying this though.  Including the new minigame - I spent an embarrassing amount of time on the Freecell-like in Shenzen I/O.  This one has Mahjong, and it's really cute.

I'm also enjoying the puzzles, heh.  Just solved the um... potion, at the end of Chapter 1.  I went for speed over cost, and it's the biggest so far:

I'm just a little worried since I've clearly only grazed the surface of the game, yet I had to scroll considerably for this.  Ah, but looking through this thread at solutions from the demo, maybe I'm worried over nothing!

I do *really* like the unlimited space, and placing the inputs/outputs.  With so much freedom, it's hard to imagine a puzzle I couldn't solve with disgraceful sprawling inefficiency.  And it would even look pretty cool.

Edit:  omg infinite products
The soundtrack for this is once again right-on, BTW.  Zachtronic knows how to pick music for puzzle games, even back in the Codex.  Even better in SpaceChem, Schenzen, and now this.  Oddly chill yet thought-stimulating.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 08:25:06 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2017, 03:33:17 pm »

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion of this post-release ):

For the record, my issue is almost entirely due to my desktop being a "mere" 1366x768.  My laptop, which lacks a 3D acceleration card of note, is 1920x1080 (oh what times we live in).  There is a huge difference.
What I've been using: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1238462146
My 1920x1080 option: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1238602228

To be frank it's still ridiculous, the game needs a zoom function.  I struggled with above problem for over an hour, partly because I could only see that tiny slice at any time. 

Even more importantly, the much reduced amount of the code lines...  I have an odd conflict that only happens on the second cycle, and I'm not sure how that's even possible, considering the (VERY CONSIDERATE, OMFG) way that arms automatically time themselves to act in sync.

This said, I can't overstate how nice this game is, and I've spent a lot of time with it.  It really is like my initial experience with The Codex of Alchemical Engineering, my favorite Zachtronics game, except much more convenient and with more FREEDOM!  I love it.
She/they

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2018, 12:05:50 am »

I'm proud of my ancient jiggle sword smithing techniques, handed down through my family.  234 cycles.

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5