Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any way to make armor cover the tail?  (Read 843 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Any way to make armor cover the tail?
« on: October 17, 2017, 04:28:30 am »

Simple. I want my venenumusi (rat people) and the planned unnamed dog man race to have armor that covers their tails.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Any way to make armor cover the tail?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 09:36:56 am »

Can make the TAIL or TAIL parts LIMB this will allow lower armor to LB_STEP to them. Don't worry about them being used to wrestle with, only a LIMB chain that has a GRASP can do that (or is it LIMBs attached to the UPPERBODY) can't recall 100%

sethtnt

• Bay Watcher
  • Who knows
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 05:18:51 pm »

If I remember correctly cloaks protect the tail, however that means that if you want to use anything other than cloth or leather to keep your tail you have to make adamatine cloaks, which will wear out. You can add something that covers the same as cloaks or (Haven't looked into it) make some sort of leggings that protect the tail as well.
*Dwarf Magic*
*Elf Magic*
*[insert relevant word here] Magic*

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 05:54:57 pm »

Hmm - if cloaks cover the tail, then there is something wrong/misleading in the wiki about how armour works, in addition, if cloaks cover the tail, then so to do many other armours. 

As I understand it, per the wiki, armour with LBSTEP covers additional body parts beyond its anchor, down a LIMB that ends in a STANCE body part, but not the STANCE body part itself.  So a robe with LBSTEP MAX will be anchored to the upper body, protect the lower body, upper leg, lower leg, and the toes.  It technically covers the foot but as the foot is a STANCE part it is forcibly prevented from covering it.

That is how I understand it, but I welcome clarification.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 05:57:20 pm »

Huh.

Testing suggests that UBSTEP armor works on (at least) any limb extending away from either the upper or lower armor (regardless of what it ends in), but that LBSTEP upper body armor doesn't actually cover anything other than the torso (upper and lower body).

Testing suggests that LBSTEP lower body armor (ITEM_PANTS) only cover limbs ending in STANCE body parts and attached to the lower body.

...Further testing suggests that LBSTEP body armor covers limbs ending in stance objects that are attached to the upper body.  So a horse wearing a scapular (modded UBSTEP:0/LBSTEP:MAX upper body armor) and a pair of pants (LBSTEP:MAX pants) has the front legs covered by the scapular and the rear legs covered by the pants).

In the first set of tests, it was found that a humanoid wearing a scapular (again, UBSTEP:0/LBSTEP:MAX upper body armor) on their upper body has only the upper and lower body covered.  The scapular did not cover the legs.

I think this means the wiki is wrong.

(To test this in the arena, I'd suggest using weak armor (leather or weak metal), a target on your team, and a nice sharp steel sword.  If the armor covers a limb, it will be damaged when you stab your buddy there.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 06:00:27 pm by D_E »
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)