Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No animals?  (Read 968 times)

Grimm Spector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No animals?
« on: October 25, 2017, 08:00:31 am »

I'm just outside a site, in a new world, in a "wilderness" area, full of trees and plants...but I have been walking around for quite awhile, not a single animal or track of one...need to hunt something for food, starting town was basically devoid of anything useful...suggestions?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: No animals?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 08:16:05 am »

I'm just outside a site, in a new world, in a "wilderness" area, full of trees and plants...but I have been walking around for quite awhile, not a single animal or track of one...need to hunt something for food, starting town was basically devoid of anything useful...suggestions?

Look in another region. Sometimes they're "calm" and produce very little animals. You can find companions in savage biomes. And lots of meat due to giant critters.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 09:08:21 am »

Try looking near a water source. I usually find herds of things there, but it's true some areas are just more sparse than others. You might find fish in the water as well although I often find them hard to kill if I miss my first strike, since their swimming speed vastly outperforms most of my adventurers. And use sneak to make sure you notice any activity at all (as you will see the vision arcs of any living thing you come across).

Grimm Spector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 10:00:04 am »

Try looking near a water source. I usually find herds of things there, but it's true some areas are just more sparse than others. You might find fish in the water as well although I often find them hard to kill if I miss my first strike, since their swimming speed vastly outperforms most of my adventurers. And use sneak to make sure you notice any activity at all (as you will see the vision arcs of any living thing you come across).

So far I've found an eagle, and it didn't have a vision arc despite me being in sneak mode, not sure why...

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 10:28:56 am »

So far I've found an eagle, and it didn't have a vision arc despite me being in sneak mode, not sure why...
Odd, I usually see their vision arcs from many z-levels below them (sometimes they are perched on a tree).