Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I wonder if anyone ever thought of this...  (Read 1117 times)

Admiral Badger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I wonder if anyone ever thought of this...
« on: October 17, 2017, 05:54:47 pm »

Now, I don't browse the forums regularly, and I don't keep up with the community knowledge or anything, but as far as I know it's considered possible to achieve Perpetual Motion with water wheels.

Well, I got to thinking about that while I was reading the wiki, and because of this piece of info...

"It is good to have a ready source of water to refill the machine, as water tends to escape and evaporate. As the water level decreases, the water wheel may intermittently stop providing power; when the level falls below 4/7, the wheel stops providing power altogether."

...I have to wonder, doesn't that technically mean that it isn't truly perpetual unless you pull from an aquifer/river?

Your thoughts, please.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: I wonder if anyone ever thought of this...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 01:57:52 pm »

Replace the pump on the side with minecart on a track stop below dumping to a ramp on the side. Now it doesn't evaporate :v

Iirc you can also keep the older pump-based reactors locked into having 7/7 water on every tile expect for pump inlet.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I wonder if anyone ever thought of this...
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 04:31:51 am »

Replace the pump on the side with minecart on a track stop below dumping to a ramp on the side. Now it doesn't evaporate :v

Iirc you can also keep the older pump-based reactors locked into having 7/7 water on every tile expect for pump inlet.

Yeah it is possible with the old reactors but it can be finicky, sometimes the game doesn't recognise the 7/7s as flowing.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game