Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ovens/grills as workshops  (Read 593 times)

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
Ovens/grills as workshops
« on: October 17, 2017, 07:12:35 pm »

You would use these to make new food items, such as grilled meats and vegetables, bread, maybe cakes, and even roast nuts or seeds into edible foods.
No amount of mods is too much

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ovens/grills as workshops
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 05:58:42 am »

I think workshops are intended to be replaced with zones containing workspaces, which will hopefully include ovens and grills for cooking.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 06:35:16 am »

I think workshops are intended to be replaced with zones containing workspaces, which will hopefully include ovens and grills for cooking.

I was literally thinking of posting that here but I wasn’t sure how everyone would respond...

joaodosgrao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 11:17:30 am »

I totally support the removal of workshops for the workspaces idea.
Also, it would make the suggestion way more plausible. As it stands now, in my humble opinion, introducing more logistics to the logistic hell that farming related jobs already are would make it kind of unviable.

Enchiridion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 11:45:17 am »

I sort of suggested this a while back with: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=144512.0

Its dated, but I still support the notion. Especially now that ladles and pots are more common, at least in caravans.

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 01:57:22 pm »

Yes, I’ve been wanting to see what we can do with those, I made a suggestion about cooking soup in adventure mode too.

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 09:30:32 pm »

I totally support the removal of workshops for the workspaces idea.
Also, it would make the suggestion way more plausible. As it stands now, in my humble opinion, introducing more logistics to the logistic hell that farming related jobs already are would make it kind of unviable.

Also maybe bonuses/drawbacks to balance effective size, like maybe less cluttering and slightly more work time for larger ones, and the reverse for smaller ones.

joaodosgrao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 06:24:44 pm »

Imo, the speed factor of these rooms would depend on the amount of workers set to it.
Bigger workshops, more space for more workers, more efficiency.

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 06:31:56 pm »

Can you say that on my recent post regarding this? I feel like  It would give your words more power

Enchiridion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 06:31:54 pm »

That depends entirely on how the system would work when actually in the game. It could be specific, where a unit has to move to the items and interact with them, it could be abstract, like just sitting at a pot and watching the product manifest.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 02:27:17 am »

Since nobody else has mentioned it, kitchen workshops already perform the function of an oven/grill, and so adding such workshops would be redundant.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 05:04:39 am »

Since nobody else has mentioned it, kitchen workshops already perform the function of an oven/grill, and so adding such workshops would be redundant.
It's ok, Toady already said there won't be any more workshops added in the current form. When 'kitchen' becomes some kind of zone though, there's plenty to think about. Ovens are needed. Big fires with roasting spits and fireplaces in general for the tavern and mayor's dining room - or maybe dwarves don't need them with magma close at hand? Human meadhalls should probably have fireplaces though. What else belongs in a medieval kitchen?

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 01:35:48 pm »

It's ok, Toady already said there won't be any more workshops added in the current form. When 'kitchen' becomes some kind of zone though, there's plenty to think about. Ovens are needed. Big fires with roasting spits and fireplaces in general for the tavern and mayor's dining room - or maybe dwarves don't need them with magma close at hand? Human meadhalls should probably have fireplaces though. What else belongs in a medieval kitchen?

I would have to say that cooking pots and ladles would HAVE to come into play by then