Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: i Reported Meph's Patreon.  (Read 15305 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: i Reported Meph's Patreon.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 09:31:23 am »

His patreon still says he will be providing weekly updates with no mention of the year or so time period during which he has been collecting monthly donation while putting out no updates or work. All it takes is a simple message posted to the patreon saying we is currently away and will return. I don't think it's too much to ask to keep it updated.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 09:38:54 am »

I know this is a bit of a paranoid thing to say but: Meph hasn't posted anything on his facebook/world bicycling website/here or even logged in here since april of this year.  Last going off I think his twitter feed said he was biking in Africa?  You are all complaining he hasn't updated patreon but I think he may legit be mia for a lot more than just that.

edit* Nevermind, dug deeper and found that his reddit account is still active.  Dude's just decided to say fuck it to all his obligations.  Continue ranting.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 09:41:28 am by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 09:55:36 am »

Exactly. He has been active online, just ignoring any communication about this. I've tried to reach out to him to so if something is wrong but he may have decided to be done with this. Hard to say because he won't talk

coolphoton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 04:54:06 am »

All I'm gonna say is that this seams like a short sited move. Meph has repeatedly gone on hiatus, at least once for more than a year, and this is the sort of 'look at me I'm morally superior to the author' complaint that tends to drive mod authors away.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 05:21:16 am »

All I'm gonna say is that this seams like a short sited move. Meph has repeatedly gone on hiatus, at least once for more than a year
As best I can tell, he only opened his Patreon last year, so those aren't comparable situations.

this is the sort of 'look at me I'm morally superior to the author' complaint that tends to drive mod authors away.
Surely it's incumbent on the author not to break his word?

Per his Patreon:
tl;dr: Masterwork DF. Weekly updates. Every Friday. Support it. Thanks.

He's getting 128 USD monthly for something he's long overdue on. I bear him no ill will, but this isn't cool. Life has a way of gumming up the works. I know that all too well. But a simple "Yo, I'm busy, expect nothing for the foreseeable future" would do nicely. Like so.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 06:17:14 am »

Money aside, I don't necessarily think it is great idea.

While I agree some sort of info, any info, even "sorry guys, got bored with MDF until 2020" would be appreciated, in my opinion Mephs contribution to Dwarf Fortress far outweighs his absence.

All I'm saying, let's not make accidental and unnecessary shitstorm out of it.
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

ALWAYSANGRON

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 11:45:06 am »

Bottom Line: His patreon promised weekly updates.

Hes been active online, but not here.
He has just been accumulating cash that he didnt work for.
Someone else has stepped in to update the release.

Take a vacation if you want, a hiatus from your project. Its abominable to abandon said project and use its funds to support your hiatus without informing your backers.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 12:40:09 pm »

Here's the way I see it.

Meph is known for taking large amounts of time off from MW development for his biking and stuff, that is fine. I don't think anyone expects him to devote his entire life to a mod or begrudges him that time. But by opening a patreon accepting monetary donations for the promise of 'weekly updates to masterwork' he has created an expectation and an obligation to perform the work which he has promised. If he wants to take time off he can very easily suspend the patreon with a message saying so.

1. We know he isn't dead or in some location with no web access because he is regularly active on reddit.
2. At least one person has attempted to contact him on several occasions, both within this forum and outside of it.

From these two things we can infer that he is either unable or unwilling to communicate on the matter. That, combined with the continued operation of the patreon, seems in extremely poor taste. Some kind of update, even as Evans said just a 'Sorry I'm busy and won't be able to work on this" would be preferable to silence.

Reporting the patreon is justified at this point, in my opinion.

Metall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 05:24:41 pm »

I have nothing to add to this that has not already been added, but feel that I must voice my agreement here, without the Patreon it would be all well and good for him to take a year-long break or whatever he wants to do, but with the Patreon... the issue is completely different, in that it is an actual issue.

If somebody is paying you to do something, and you stop doing the thing, but keep taking money for doing the thing, and never tell the people paying you that you aren't doing the thing, and you ignore any and all communications from said people paying you... that's just wrong.

But if his Patreon goes down... I wouldn't be surprised if he returns soon after.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 08:49:24 am »

But if his Patreon goes down... I wouldn't be surprised if he returns soon after.
tbh I think that if meph came back he would probably be crucified by the community, or at least the most hatted modder on the forums.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 08:51:26 am »

I disagree, he has done amazing work and I happily supported him for a long time. I'd be thrilled to have him back, I'm just not pleased with the fact that he didn't pause the patreon while away

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 08:57:48 am »

tbh I think that if meph came back he would probably be crucified by the community, or at least the most hatted modder on the forums.
He already is considered that amongst the modding community, I'll say as much. And yeah, him returning is not gonna be a "shining knight riding in on a white horse" moment.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 09:04:14 am »

At this point I'm just playing vanilla waiting for something the update.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2017, 03:22:14 pm »

At this point I'm just playing vanilla waiting for something the update.
Amostubal update is quite ok.

getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2017, 06:26:27 pm »

Amostubal update is quite ok.

Seconding this. Humans are broken, though. You can play them, but they have various issues.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6