Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: i Reported Meph's Patreon.  (Read 15427 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: i Reported Meph's Patreon.
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2017, 12:27:48 pm »

As I stated earlier, it's the whole "Weekly Updates" claim that lends that impression. I doubt anyone would mind the occasional month-long hiatus if Meph worked on Masterwork with any semblance of regularity. But he simply up and left, without so much as a farewell.
There's also the fact he has been active on various subreddits, yet has completely neglected messaging the community on here or on the DF subreddit - infact several people messaged him but given the current state it appears noone actually got any responses.

This all could have been solved much earlier if he responded to people - a simple yes or no to "are you coming back?". If yes, good, people just wait until MW is updated, if no, also good, everyone can go their merry way and maybe the modding community can breathe for a bit and become more active.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2017, 12:34:45 pm »

-snip-

I worded my response incorrectly.

What I'm trying to say is I think it's mind boggling you guys actually expect anything from someone running a patreon, and getting upset about it. I've seen so many examples of crowd funding go to the sewer in the past few years that if I back anything I expect nothing. Take, for example, the skully helmet.

People paid thousands of dollars to get a helmet that was only made in very limited numbers and as a result most people never received what the felt they should of received.

Naturally we're talking about tow vastly different things here, but the principle is sill the same: don't put money forward if you're not happy with how the project is in the now. There are tons of examples of funding campaigns gone wrong.

Theres also good ones though, take Project Zomboid for example. It costed me eight dollars when I bought it a few years ago, and it's the best eight bucks I've ever spent.

Basically what I'm trying to say is use your discretion, if you like where MDF is right support his patreon, even if he is MIA. If you're upset he's MIA, don't support it. I agree it's annoying he just up and left without a word, but in my opinion reporting his patreon is extreme and getting upset the way OP seems to be (to me at least) is ridiculous. I don't expect patreon goers to sick to their word, becuase that is MY experience with crowd funding.

Take what I say with grain salt though, I'm just another name on the net after all. :)
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2017, 01:21:17 pm »

I worded my response incorrectly.

What I'm trying to say is I think it's mind boggling you guys actually expect anything from someone running a patreon, and getting upset about it. I've seen so many examples of crowd funding go to the sewer in the past few years that if I back anything I expect nothing. Take, for example, the skully helmet.

People paid thousands of dollars to get a helmet that was only made in very limited numbers and as a result most people never received what the felt they should of received.

Naturally we're talking about tow vastly different things here, but the principle is sill the same: don't put money forward if you're not happy with how the project is in the now. There are tons of examples of funding campaigns gone wrong.

Theres also good ones though, take Project Zomboid for example. It costed me eight dollars when I bought it a few years ago, and it's the best eight bucks I've ever spent.
I think we can all agree that crowd-funding is decidedly unreliable. I assume that Meph hasn't abandoned us all on the Sun's advice, so there's that.

This is a fairly parochial matter, not some all-consuming scandal. It'll be the end of no one's world. And as you say, Meph's patrons can abandon him at any time, should they remember. But, I think it's hardly unreasonable to hold him to the standards of basic decency, especially when Masterwork is the only Dwarf Fortress mod with its own subforum. There's an expectation here you wouldn't have for Timmy's First Overhaul.

Basically what I'm trying to say is use your discretion, if you like where MDF is right support his patreon, even if he is MIA. If you're upset he's MIA, don't support it. I agree it's annoying he just up and left without a word, but in my opinion reporting his patreon is extreme and getting upset the way OP seems to be (to me at least) is ridiculous. I don't expect patreon goers to sick to their word, becuase that is MY experience with crowd funding.
Different folks have different priorities, obviously, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I don't think "most Patreons are iffy" should act as a Get Out of Jail Free card for Meph. If he's going to renege on his promise, then it's merely his good fortune that most of us don't really care. That most people have more pressing concerns shouldn't dismiss the OP's.

There's also the fact he has been active on various subreddits, yet has completely neglected messaging the community on here or on the DF subreddit - infact several people messaged him but given the current state it appears noone actually got any responses.

This all could have been solved much earlier if he responded to people - a simple yes or no to "are you coming back?". If yes, good, people just wait until MW is updated, if no, also good, everyone can go their merry way and maybe the modding community can breathe for a bit and become more active.
This. I daresay this wouldn't be an issue if we thought he'd been abducted by Peruvian man-voles.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2017, 11:13:27 pm »

I've only ever wanted a relatively complete and interesting elf mode. For a long time I thought MW was going to produce that. If Meph comes back that's fine in my book. Could he have left in a better way? Sure, but really who cares. Anyone who cared enough to check this forum for updates should have been able to end their Patreon subscription if it bothered them.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2017, 06:37:08 am »

I didn't mind Meph himself even if MW imo unjustifiably overshadows a lot of mods, since I don't think he knew what effects it'd have on the modding community - the current debacle made me start losing respect for him - same for when I found out he had a Patreon (wasn't interested in MW when I started modding and I wasn't aware of it) - getting money for a mod which has parts from many different modders just doesn't sit right with me, even if they're credited.

Personally, I'm withdrawing my pack from MW if he does come back, though.
Never, ever, go this route.
Not only because it sounds like silly childish vengeance, but it is a dick move towards all who play MDF and are grateful for your content.

And speaking from many years of modder experience, I can assure you, keeping massive mod pack together and making sure all the stuff is compatible can be a full-time job.

It's really good if it is done in one place, rather to have every player fire up Morrowind editor to make sure all those new buildings in Balmora do not overlap each other, for example.
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2017, 06:59:53 am »

I didn't mind Meph himself even if MW imo unjustifiably overshadows a lot of mods, since I don't think he knew what effects it'd have on the modding community - the current debacle made me start losing respect for him - same for when I found out he had a Patreon (wasn't interested in MW when I started modding and I wasn't aware of it) - getting money for a mod which has parts from many different modders just doesn't sit right with me, even if they're credited.

Personally, I'm withdrawing my pack from MW if he does come back, though.
Never, ever, go this route.
Not only because it sounds like silly childish vengeance, but it is a dick move towards all who play MDF and are grateful for your content.

And speaking from many years of modder experience, I can assure you, keeping massive mod pack together and making sure all the stuff is compatible can be a full-time job.

It's really good if it is done in one place, rather to have every player fire up Morrowind editor to make sure all those new buildings in Balmora do not overlap each other, for example.

The ethics of Meph taking Patreon money for what is mostly other peoples work, only compiled together by him, bug me the most and it simply does not sit right with me - ergo it is not "vengeance" of any sort, I merely do not want to contribute to the pack anymore because of my own beliefs on the matter. I have other reservations towards what you're saying but its irrelevant to the main point I was trying to make.

I am still willing to work with other modders and I am doing so already. I simply do not wish to work with MW's development anymore.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2017, 07:03:00 am »

The ethics of Meph taking Patreon money for what is mostly other peoples work, only compiled together by him, bug me the most and it simply does not sit right with me - ergo it is not "vengeance" of any sort, I merely do not want to contribute to the pack anymore because of my own beliefs on the matter. I have other reservations towards what you're saying but its irrelevant to the main point I was trying to make.

I am still willing to work with other modders and I am doing so already. I simply do not wish to work with MW's development anymore.
That's absurd. He's collecting money for the work of compiling it. Do you expect that to be done for free?

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2017, 08:01:46 am »

Ethics aside, penalizing people for other people shortcomings simply is not the way forward.
Now of course, I won't force you to do things any other way than you want them to be done, but again - please don't penalize people playing your content because of some third party actions.

Mods are mods, and as such they often remain niche in the given game fans society. Forcibly limiting their availability "because of reasons" simply does not sound like a good idea :)

In my case I usually go with your magic additions. I am not really interested in seeing plenty more races (the ones that are here are already problematic), but I am keeping the Pandashi whatever happens.
Now it seems, I should back the files up and install them manually, otherwise I will be forced to cherry pick them from your mod pack --> so will be any other person accessing your content through MDF.

Honestly I think we may be better off if MDF was community project rather than one guy mission.
Let's name it Artifact Dwarf Fortress ;)
function getlost ()
end
getlost ()

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2017, 08:38:21 am »

That's absurd. He's collecting money for the work of compiling it. Do you expect that to be done for free?
Not quite as absurd as the grain analogies on here.
Considering most actual modders and scripters work for free without donations and all Meph does is just make sure it runs properly together (though he may have failed a spot check or two given how crash-prone the lastest version he released was) - yes, believe it or not, its not actually as difficult or a "full-time job" like Evans said, not enough to warrant getting money for work mostly made by other modders for completely free.

It is time consuming to make certain mods work together, especially ones that modify vanilla raws, I'll admit that - but with enough knowledge of the raws even an average user could do it, provided they care enough to learn.

If you want to go the full grain analogy again, the proper one would be to say that the grains are the simple raws system Toady made, and the bread is the stuff made by the modders - Meph is just a middle man for people who don't want to be bothered to learn how to do this stuff themselves.

Ethics aside, penalizing people for other people shortcomings simply is not the way forward.
Now of course, I won't force you to do things any other way than you want them to be done, but again - please don't penalize people playing your content because of some third party actions.

Mods are mods, and as such they often remain niche in the given game fans society. Forcibly limiting their availability "because of reasons" simply does not sound like a good idea :)

In my case I usually go with your magic additions. I am not really interested in seeing plenty more races (the ones that are here are already problematic), but I am keeping the Pandashi whatever happens.
I'm not penalizing anyone, just withdrawing my content - if people still want to use its still gonna be up and I am still updating it with new content - if deleting a few files that you dont want i.e the civilized races and their entities is too much effort, then I honestly don't know what to say. I've outlined my reasons - I don't think you'd like it either if someone was making money off of your work that you made for free, with many people thinking they made it (which does actually happen occasionally, believe it or not).

Nice to hear that you use my magic additions, but I care more about the modding community being more active again than having it be stagnant as it is now, with few modders coming in and fewer getting actual feedback on their threads - which, unfortunately yes, is caused in part by MW's stranglehold and reputation.

None of my main packs civilized races are in MW IIRC, the Pandashi are from Fortress Defense - few people seem to actually know what comes from who in MW's additions though. I've had people asking me about i.e Balrogs, when those aren't things I ever worked on - which is another issue I heard from other modders, noone actually knowing what you make because of an honestly absurd amount of content in MW.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2017, 11:46:50 am »

If you want to go the full grain analogy again, the proper one would be to say that the grains are the simple raws system Toady made, and the bread is the stuff made by the modders - Meph is just a middle man for people who don't want to be bothered to learn how to do this stuff themselves.

I'm not penalizing anyone, just withdrawing my content - if people still want to use its still gonna be up and I am still updating it with new content - if deleting a few files that you dont want i.e the civilized races and their entities is too much effort, then I honestly don't know what to say.
I've spent weeks trying to get conditional skills in Fallen Enchantress to work. Like omfg wtf, I cried for help to a guy who is a top modder there and he did actually helped.
In the end, he explained why my idea was bad idea to begin with, as feature was bugged and I went a different route.
For a Dwarf Fortress I would love to just drop in the stuff and be done with it.
I do enough RAW editing to keep me busy from actually playing -> sometimes I think urge to mod stuff is a sort of OCD.

I've outlined my reasons - I don't think you'd like it either if someone was making money off of your work that you made for free, with many people thinking they made it (which does actually happen occasionally, believe it or not).
This is an argument I have been hearing over and over since people started modding. But honestly?
We all mod for fun. Who makes a mod for fame? Almost nobody.
I think, personally, that going this aggro way is a bit shortsighted.
For me, if someone took stuff I modded for some other games, packed it together nicely with other stuff and made sure it is working well together, I wouldn't mind them accepting donations.
Because it would keep me free from all those compatibility issues and having to help all those people who wanted to run my mod alongside something else entirely.
It's a work I would not have to do, because somebody done that instead :)

Nice to hear that you use my magic additions, but I care more about the modding community being more active again than having it be stagnant as it is now, with few modders coming in and fewer getting actual feedback on their threads - which, unfortunately yes, is caused in part by MW's stranglehold and reputation.
With so many vanilla bugs left open, it's a miracle that there are still people working on DF.

None of my main packs civilized races are in MW IIRC, the Pandashi are from Fortress Defense - few people seem to actually know what comes from who in MW's additions though. I've had people asking me about i.e Balrogs, when those aren't things I ever worked on - which is another issue I heard from other modders, noone actually knowing what you make because of an honestly absurd amount of content in MW.
I understand that. But I think this absurd amount of content is what made MW popular in the first place.
function getlost ()
end
getlost ()

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2017, 01:23:40 pm »

We all mod for fun. Who makes a mod for fame? Almost nobody.

You'd be surprised. Fame isn't the right way to put it either way - people just want proper recognition for their hard work. Its very disheartening to have people attribute something you did to someone else, or hell, even think Meph made everything in the pack. Noone seems to actually care about that besides the modders themselves, though.

For me, if someone took stuff I modded for some other games, packed it together nicely with other stuff and made sure it is working well together, I wouldn't mind them accepting donations.
Because it would keep me free from all those compatibility issues and having to help all those people who wanted to run my mod alongside something else entirely.
It's a work I would not have to do, because somebody done that instead

A lot of people dont share your sentiment, since to them its shitty that someone gets all recognition and on top of that money for the work that they did and released for free. Also, "working well together", lol - part of the issue I and a lot of others have with MW gameplay-wise is that a lot of the additions just dont fit together, either in terms of tone/theme, or gameplay purpose. You can't make a great meal out of mashing together 15 different other meals that are already great on their own - you just end up with a mess, and that much was shown recently.

With so many vanilla bugs left open, it's a miracle that there are still people working on DF.

I find it a miracle moreso that people still work on mods despite not getting any sort of feedback or recognition for their work, because of one mods monopoly on the community. You do know the modding community used to be a lot more active but people left because of the chokehold MW has, right?

I understand that. But I think this absurd amount of content is what made MW popular in the first place.

And it's also what jaded a lot of past, extremely talented modders or even made them outright leave, killing this part of the community.
Also, more content for the sake of more content is not neccessarily a good thing, as is shown by the most recent, buggy version Meph released - I'm impressed Amost had the patience to go through all those files, written in completely different styles and ways by completely different people, just to bugfix it.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2017, 03:50:35 pm »

You'd be surprised. Fame isn't the right way to put it either way - people just want proper recognition for their hard work. Its very disheartening to have people attribute something you did to someone else, or hell, even think Meph made everything in the pack. Noone seems to actually care about that besides the modders themselves, though.
Well, big red letters in the launcher would be nice, but from what I have seen yours work is credited on further pages.

It's a work I would not have to do, because somebody done that instead

A lot of people dont share your sentiment, since to them its shitty that someone gets all recognition and on top of that money for the work that they did and released for free. Also, "working well together", lol - part of the issue I and a lot of others have with MW gameplay-wise is that a lot of the additions just dont fit together, either in terms of tone/theme, or gameplay purpose. You can't make a great meal out of mashing together 15 different other meals that are already great on their own - you just end up with a mess, and that much was shown recently.
I recommend trying to mod a game with much larger user base. Just churning through bug reports can give you a headache. Discovering what causes your mod to fail (quite often, other mods being incompatible) is such a pain in the ass that you would not believe it.
Or what about a bug, like the last one I had, in tiny Skyrim mod based only on vanilla files, where scripts simply did not work for one guy. Just so, they didn't. They did for me, so how can I debug that?
You see, DF community is tiny in comparison. Your mod, your work, is maybe used by few hundred people at maximum. That is pretty... small audience, to put it nicely.
If you had 10x as many users, and suddenly many wanted to know how to make it compatible with other mods or just having bugs - sometimes, just dealing with those can be a full-time job. Of course, in such a case you could create a donations page, but it would be better to have someone else deal with such nuances, as the time spending at making your "Big Fire" mod compatible with "Moar Bread" and "Cute Kittens" simply takes that time away from improving and creating content.

From many years in gaming communities, one thing I have learned that people, seemingly creative people with good ideas and modding skills have a lot of issues with each other, instead of coming together and working together. Now I know why that is.
But I still find that sentiment to be a dead end - from my point of view, the more work I put into something, the more I would like people to actually enjoy it, rather to have it be available to selected few.
But that's just me, I don't like elitist approach, regardless if it concerns modding or limited music album distribution.

I find it a miracle moreso that people still work on mods despite not getting any sort of feedback or recognition for their work, because of one mods monopoly on the community. You do know the modding community used to be a lot more active but people left because of the chokehold MW has, right?
I didn't know that about community in the past. Coming to DF fresh from ADOM, I was put off by vanilla for few years.
I found interface design to be absolutely atrocious piece of crap, which in my opinion greatly contributes to DF learning curve.

What brought me back was MDF. DFHack included, graphics, easier navigation and control. Plenty of stuff that is in MDF should be part of vanilla by default.
But we get hundreds of new plants instead of bugfixes. Trees drop leaves and shite , but there is no way to designate d -> f to furrow soil and remove them en masse and save FPS, for example, without clean map item. Still no kindergarden location, suddenly items in traps wear off causing crashes, animal people [meander] and all that.
Of course, DF is one man's life work, but still, some strictly bug fixing work and improving on what is already present would be more than welcome.

But to answer your question about why people still make mods.
To put it simply, because we can and want to. Some have their vision of what should be in the game and want it badly enough to work for it.
Others, like me, simply start tweaking stuff and end up with something different.
In other words - having a working mod that others can enjoy is quite often rewarding enough for a lot of people.

And it's also what jaded a lot of past, extremely talented modders or even made them outright leave, killing this part of the community.
This is possibly most ridiculous reason to leave community or modding I have ever heard. Just because some other mod/compilation is more popular does not mean absolutely anything. Again, modding can feel like work sometimes, but if it feels like a labor and makes people envious/angry, they are doing it wrong.

Also, more content for the sake of more content is not neccessarily a good thing, as is shown by the most recent, buggy version Meph released - I'm impressed Amost had the patience to go through all those files, written in completely different styles and ways by completely different people, just to bugfix it.
Yup, he deserves big one for all his work. Even more so in recent light of Meph's sudden and unexplained absence and visible ignorance of messages people sent him.

Again perhaps, maybe a new collaborative work by a group of modders would be in order. Something akin to MDF, with launcher and configuration and shit, but not a one man job.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 03:54:33 pm by Evans »
function getlost ()
end
getlost ()

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2017, 05:19:47 pm »

Well, big red letters in the launcher would be nice, but from what I have seen yours work is credited on further pages.
Mine is, and I'm lucky enough for that. This still doesn't seem to really alleviate much in terms of people knowing what modder does what - not all of a modders work is there in its entirety, even as a side thing.
You see, DF community is tiny in comparison. Your mod, your work, is maybe used by few hundred people at maximum. That is pretty... small audience, to put it nicely.
If you had 10x as many users, and suddenly many wanted to know how to make it compatible with other mods or just having bugs - sometimes, just dealing with those can be a full-time job. Of course, in such a case you could create a donations page, but it would be better to have someone else deal with such nuances, as the time spending at making your "Big Fire" mod compatible with "Moar Bread" and "Cute Kittens" simply takes that time away from improving and creating content.
We're only talking in the context of this community, not Skyrim or w/e else. Those mods are a lot more difficult to actually make and properly integrate - DF's modding is for the most part just text file editing, don't overhype it - everyone can learn it - you just need to know the limitations of it and prepare to sink a lot of time into it.
From many years in gaming communities, one thing I have learned that people, seemingly creative people with good ideas and modding skills have a lot of issues with each other, instead of coming together and working together. Now I know why that is.
Because its normal for humans to clash over ideas, visions and whatever else. Its not just a modder issue. Also everyone wants recognition for the stuff they make - thats the entire reason a lot of modders release their stuff.
But to answer your question about why people still make mods.
I was never asking any question about that to begin with. I know why people make mods, and I know why a lot of modders get jaded over not getting any sort of recognition or having it attributed to someone else, while that person makes money off of it. I'm aware I sound like a broken record on this regard, but to me this is the most ridiculous and outrageous part of it all - "yes, you can use this in your pack" is quite different from "yes, you can use this and make money off of it". If one is free then IMO both should be - if you want to have donations for your mods then make them from scratch, put some love into it, instead of merely compiling other peoples work.
This is possibly most ridiculous reason to leave community or modding I have ever heard. Just because some other mod/compilation is more popular does not mean absolutely anything. Again, modding can feel like work sometimes, but if it feels like a labor and makes people envious/angry, they are doing it wrong.
MW isn't just "more popular", it has an outright monopoly on the community and special treatment on top of that - you enter the sites modding board and its one of the first things you see.
What other mod currently has its own board? None. I don't believe any should, myself. Regardless it doesnt matter what work you put into a mod, since noone is gonna use it unless its part of MW, and even then its not like the people play it because they want to see your content. The modders I mentioned left because they saw where the whole thing of giving mods their own sub-boards was going - MW merely cemented it.
There's no "doing it wrong" or "doing it right", either. The main reason most people release mods is so others can respond to it, cause seeing "hey I like your stuff, keep it up" or "hey this creature is a tad under/overpowered, can you look into it?" is what drives them. When that doesn't happen its not surprising for them to just go "fuck it", pack their bags and leave or atleast never mod again, no matter how talented they were.

Yup, he deserves big one for all his work. Even more so in recent light of Meph's sudden and unexplained absence and visible ignorance of messages people sent him.

Again perhaps, maybe a new collaborative work by a group of modders would be in order. Something akin to MDF, with launcher and configuration and shit, but not a one man job.
On one hand, having a collaboration that actually does have multiple people sharing the burden would be good.
On the other, I just worry it'd cause the same effects to the community as MW since fewer people would want to learn how to mod.
Getting new blood is always important for a community like this - since new people can provide a fresh perspective on things or have ideas that older contributors didn't even think of.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2017, 06:52:16 pm »

Hey, just throwing in my two cents to the above, but I'd love to toss my work into any colab thing, I haven't seriously modded in about half a year but I've still got a lot of my old stuff and can make new.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2017, 12:52:08 am »

I have no dog in this fight, but something like that would be lovely. I'd love to see some life breathed back into the modding scene, and it'd be nice to have an outlet for whatever bits and bobs I come up with.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6