Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: i Reported Meph's Patreon.  (Read 15310 times)

ALWAYSANGRON

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
i Reported Meph's Patreon.
« on: October 17, 2017, 07:29:14 pm »

Neglected his own project and has not updated it since 2016 nor has interacted with the community in over a year. Meanwhile, he has continued to rake in free cash for doing nothing.

I reported his patreon. Supplied evidence of his neglect and lack of work on the project. Hopefully it gets taken down and he doesnt continue to profit from a community he abandoned.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: i Reported Meph's Patreon.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 07:37:31 pm »

People can just stop supporting Meph if they don't want to...

ALWAYSANGRON

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 11:41:54 pm »

I think many people forget they are still supporting him.Still, if he wants people to monetarily support him running around the world, commenting on reddit and playing gwent, then he can open a separate patreon for that.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 11:53:24 pm »

Why did you post about it here? You could've just quietly reported it or PM'd Meph about it.

That said, I don't follow Masterwork releases, because I mostly play vanilla, so I don't have much else to add to the conversation here.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 12:31:52 am »

Exactly. While I may understand the reasons behind your actions, is there a point to you publicly announcing it?

Either Patreon takes it down, or they don't.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 04:24:37 am »

jesus...

Avacado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 10:19:03 am »

People can just stop supporting Meph if they don't want to...

Yep. Stopped my donations with the intent of reestablishing it once updates pop up again. Figured it was the best solution. If people want to keep donating for how good MW is right now, more power to em.

ALWAYSANGRON

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 11:34:51 am »

That doesn't make ANY sense. Why keep donating to someone who DOESN'T EVEN MAINTAIN THE CURRENT PROJECT. Someone else entirely stepped up and made a masterwork version for the current Dwarf fortress. That is just throwing money at someone for no reason.

Read his patreon, he failed the goals posted on his patreon, he comments regularly on reddit. He abandoned the community and shouldnt collect free cash when someone has stepped in to manage his own project.

Edit: If Meph wants, he can open a new patreon with the newly added goal of collecting free money and fueling his Gwent addiction if he wants.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:36:42 am by ALWAYSANGRON »

joaodosgrao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 11:37:56 am »

Can I support the modified masterwork author on patreon? I'd gladly do it, since nowadays it seems devs just abandon projects and go yolo, would be nice to support someone that is actually present.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 11:58:08 am »

That doesn't make ANY sense. Why keep donating to someone who DOESN'T EVEN MAINTAIN THE CURRENT PROJECT. Someone else entirely stepped up and made a masterwork version for the current Dwarf fortress. That is just throwing money at someone for no reason.

Read his patreon, he failed the goals posted on his patreon, he comments regularly on reddit. He abandoned the community and shouldnt collect free cash when someone has stepped in to manage his own project.

Edit: If Meph wants, he can open a new patreon with the newly added goal of collecting free money and fueling his Gwent addiction if he wants.

That's not what we're saying. We're saying that if someone doesn't want to support Meph they can just stop supporting him. We're not saying whether or not they should stop supporting him -- that's their decision.

We're also saying that there's no point to posting about this publicly. If you feel that this is a significant problem that needs to be dealt with you can just contact Meph directly.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 03:49:18 pm »

well to be fair, he last used his account in April.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 04:03:44 pm »

I agree with the OP.

If we were dealing with a link on the forum to Meph's PayPal acc't, then that's an informal funding stream, and Meph would in that case have made only informal promises. This method of raising $ is common among modders of other games.

But Patreon is something rather different. The credibility of this, or any comparable formal, law-governed market is based on requesters of funds doing what they promise to do, or at worse failing for good business reason. Such as: "I worked hard on the software, but the market wasn't buying. Here are the funds not already paid for wages and other expenses." Abandonment is not a sufficient business reason.

We need to trust requesters of funds to at least fail honestly. Otherwise, no person asking for funds can hope for any from us, however worthy their venture. Meph needs to shut down this request for funds, and return all funds since the last update ... other than those paid out for direct, legitimate expenses.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 08:21:59 am »

wow... so someone posted they reported meph's patreon account...
on a forum board that only Meph is capable of moderating... 
really though I think that the post is going to far...
I don't think Meph is 'abandoning' MDF...
he's just stepped away for a bit...
he has done that a half a dozen times since its inception...
sometimes for a year at a time.

I think its best to say it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize Meph isn't updating currently.
1.  If people want to donate to him anyways...that is their decision.  Sometimes people buy old games from developer sites who aren't updating anymore...
2.  If they aren't paying attention... that is their decision.  They should know where their money is going, or they don't care.
3.  Do what is good for you... keep your outrage to private messages and such... there is no need to stir the pot.
4.  There is no need to continue to beat up on Meph,just because he's not responding, the negativity isn't helping the community.

oh and someone asked if I had a patreon account... I don't accept money for other people's work.  If you want to donate money, I suggest this link here:
http://www.patreon.com/bay12games

If I get my own mod up and going soon... I'll consider patreon... If you want to talk with us about what we(me, Khaos, and few others) are thinking and doing contact us on discord my personal server is listed in my sig below.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 08:37:30 am »

this is a bit tasteless and obnoxious.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 06:17:21 pm »

In the OP's defense, if Meph's Patreon were shut down without any forewarning, we'd all be wondering why. So I think it's hardly superfluous for him to give us a heads up.

That said, I'm insufficiently appraised of the details to say if it ought to be closed. That's another can of worms.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6