Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38

Author Topic: Procedurally Generated Mafia- GAME OVER MAFIA WIN  (Read 75322 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Procedurally Generated Mafia - Day 1 - Soft Weekend Start
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2017, 07:53:47 pm »

The entire "should you useless night power or not useless night power" thing is entirely academic to me, my role is entirely passive.  That being said, I guess target me if you want hilarity to happen to someone else.

It's not launching a nuke at someone, but still pretty fucking fun.

Anypoodle.

Tiruin: I'll define scum as scum, thank you very much.  To get to what you were actually asking, scumtells are pretty situational, but base scumtells should still work in this game.  Role based ones may be a bit trickier with all the fuckery, but that's super context dependent.

NJW: As to your second question, meh.  I get the impression there will be some amount of role-changing this game, but that information can never hurt to have.  I'd say yes, although with existing situations where keeping that information private for a day or two might be beneficial.

Fun fact: That exact ability, the ability to get a list of all powers in play, was what broke the first NQT game I ever played in.

Alright I'll get back to ya'll later break is over.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2017, 03:10:27 am »

Thanks for the bugs. If I fix, I'll release the new source that any newer powers will be based on.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2017, 07:01:01 am »

These abilities are actually confirmable by other players, so can definitely be used to prove you didn't do the mafiakill. If you have an ability like this and don't use it, I will strongly suspect you were using a kill instead.

In fact, since the majority of players seem to receive a night action and many of them leave evidence it may actually be possible to identify the mafiakill user by process of elimination later on in the game. Everyone should definitely be using their abilities.
Should we organise a sort of order for using abilities?
I think we certainly should not do it at random, for several reasons. One is that it would be very chaotic and confusing to have people claim or not claim what was them the next day, and would make d2 focus on claims, not results. Another is that some town players might have anti-town or chaotic passives that activate when targeted: 4maskwolf has already claimed to have a strong passive, for example.

If so, what sort of order should it be?
Pairs? A long snake in the form p1>p2>p3>p4>etc? The fact that some abilities apply to a target's target might complicate matters.

This is for everyone, not just Leafsnail, by the way. If you have thoughts, chip in.
One wheel short of a wagon

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2017, 07:06:37 am »

I think we're in danger of rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. We might need to, if they impede access to the lifeboats, but given how we don't yet know where the lifeboats even are, in this scenario, I'm not sure we know how not to mess things up, yet.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2017, 11:07:09 am »

I continue to be against imposing any artificial order on anything, and I will exercise my Radical Freedom as appropriate.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2017, 11:16:17 am »

I continue to be against imposing any artificial order on anything, and I will exercise my Radical Freedom as appropriate.
... What exactly are you doing, Maximum Spin?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2017, 12:48:55 am »

Duuuude.  He's excercising huis radical freedom as appropriate.  Can't you read, man?

The entire "should you useless night power or not useless night power" thing is entirely academic to me, my role is entirely passive.  That being said, I guess target me if you want hilarity to happen to someone else.

Anypoodle.

Tiruin: I'll define scum as scum, thank you very much.  To get to what you were actually asking, scumtells are pretty situational, but base scumtells should still work in this game.  Role based ones may be a bit trickier with all the fuckery, but that's super context dependent.

NJW: As to your second question, meh.  I get the impression there will be some amount of role-changing this game, but that information can never hurt to have.  I'd say yes, although with existing situations where keeping that information private for a day or two might be beneficial.

Fun fact: That exact ability, the ability to get a list of all powers in play, was what broke the first NQT game I ever played in.

Anypoodle.  You doggam god lover.  I've got some hilarity too.  N1 is going to be all like Chrismas for all you sonsabvitches.  And it'll give NQT a headache, which is the most omp[ortant thing to consider about all of this. 

So, yeah.  It's gona be all like Christmas in October all up in here soon.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2017, 03:24:03 am »

Day will end 12AM 26th Oct BST. Hammering is possible from Monday (BST) onwards.
Seems hammers are online (at least at my time now :V)

Did people miss my everyone note? :P
Wow lots of people I dont know. TDS; everyone how are ya gonna treat the game with what seems to be 50% out of context content? How will you also see the day game? And how would you define "scum"; by the book 'scumtells' or otherwise?

A few folks also haven't posted yet.

Not sure if it's possible to screw up RVS, but lets see.

Right, I'm going to fail to practise what I preach below, and talk about powers.
1) Useless night actions: do people think town should use them?
I think not. They will make it harder for town to have clear information or understanding of what went on.

2) Regarding census takers: if someone can get a list of all the roles in play, should they post it at once?
I don't see why not. Knowing about a chaotic or disruptive role will benefit town more than scum. And town will benefit more from knowing what might have happened on a certain night.
1. When people have information--contextually, at this stage, nope. Later on when ideas come out, yep. Contextually, if it is agreed that EVERYONE TOWN at this stage with a useless action/reactive action doesn't act, it'll note how claims would go in the future, even in the series of when people claim. But assuming otherwise makes a very delicate assumption--that is if people actually can track, and in a randomized game like this, everything before information can be thrown to theory, and easy grounds for falsification by scum.
2. Not yet until massclaim. We've at least 2-3 Mafiases, and that means TEAM TAG WORK on fakeclaiming--especially with a role set that is not set in stone (meaning GUESS EVERYTHING), and that such roles with informative-content actions are going to be regarded as 'somewhat important' in face value with claims.

These abilities are actually confirmable by other players, so can definitely be used to prove you didn't do the mafiakill. If you have an ability like this and don't use it, I will strongly suspect you were using a kill instead.

In fact, since the majority of players seem to receive a night action and many of them leave evidence it may actually be possible to identify the mafiakill user by process of elimination later on in the game. Everyone should definitely be using their abilities.
I think we certainly should not do it at random, for several reasons. One is that it would be very chaotic and confusing to have people claim or not claim what was them the next day, and would make d2 focus on claims, not results. Another is that some town players might have anti-town or chaotic passives that activate when targeted: 4maskwolf has already claimed to have a strong passive, for example.

Pairs? A long snake in the form p1>p2>p3>p4>etc? The fact that some abilities apply to a target's target might complicate matters.

This is for everyone, not just Leafsnail, by the way. If you have thoughts, chip in.
Why mention this now when this viable idea is better off later O_O
An order of a sorts, or plans, is commonly the orthodox thing to do when scenarios such as action-proving and tracking is a viable option. Commonly, people would match up whose actions really can contradict to logic-out the one lying.
Coincidentally--this may not work at all, because RANDOMIZATION also affects scum, who would probably be playing on the randomwheel to see what fakeclaims they can dredge up.
Do you have other mentions to nudge other people here to forward your goal, NJW?

King Ossum
NQT; Quick question: Will you reveal a dead character's alignment if they die at night, and who they were? I am a bit new, after all.
Is there any indication NQT wouldn't?

Wow lots of people I dont know. TDS; everyone how are ya gonna treat the game with what seems to be 50% out of context content? How will you also see the day game? And how would you define "scum"; by the book 'scumtells' or otherwise?
(I've met in mafias, I'm certain! Or time-wasted here/elsewhere roughly similar. But forget which game(s) exactly, without looking it up. Too long a gap to recall.)

Mulling it lightly, evidently randomnesses in setup harms our regular knowhows. I'm not done analysing character options, placing my own function exactly. 'Til then, I'll probably just chatter until the first night unless someone has a better railroading method in mind. (Yeah, abducating responsibility, but wanted to at least check in.)
From the stranger ones I've seen, I get the impression that imagination of use is still practical even with the nonsensical ones. Depending on action-order, even the informing the dead one might be useful, in the right circumstances.

But I'm also glad I'm not lumbered with it.

Why the softclaim @_@ it reads like a softclaim to me! Soft as in it gives concrete ideas even if it's not specific O_O

And 'railroading' is conversation, and voting-to-hammer. It is better to end this day with a lynch (and I'm speaking about everyone including myself :V) rather than having nuthin.

5maskwolf

Anypoodle.

Y u softclaim :V
Will you jump into conversation to help yourself or just bait and lie in wait there? O_O

BHK
Why isn't this a vote?
What else do you have to say to everyone else playing?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2017, 03:36:48 am »

Quote from: Tiruin, immediately above
1) Why mention this now when this viable idea is better off later O_O
An order of a sorts, or plans, is commonly the orthodox thing to do when scenarios such as action-proving and tracking is a viable option. Commonly, people would match up whose actions really can contradict to logic-out the one lying.
Coincidentally--this may not work at all, because RANDOMIZATION also affects scum, who would probably be playing on the randomwheel to see what fakeclaims they can dredge up.
2) Do you have other mentions to nudge other people here to forward your goal, NJW?
1) If this is a question, I didn't realise that the idea would be better later. There are arguments for doing it soon, such as everyone having one and only one power at this point in the game.

2) Is this an abstruse FOS? I don't really understand the question.

Shakerag: How come you're so sure the chaos and festivity you're planning isn't likely to massively benefit the scumteam?
One wheel short of a wagon

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2017, 03:51:43 am »

The players kept bumping into each other in the depths of lava pits and on the top of exquisitely carved monuments of their own faces. Gradually a consensus arose... they would kick from the server the player with the most votes...

Vote Count
Tiruin
TheDarkStar [1] - Tiruin
Fallacy of Urist
NJW2000
codybob1999
Starver
Maximum Spin [1] - Fallacy of Urist
Leafsnail
Shakerag
4maskwolf
kingawsume
BlackHeartKabal
juicebox
no lynch

Day will end 12AM 26th Oct BST. Hammering is now possible.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2017, 08:09:15 am »

Hm. How can we confirm that a player followed the agreed upon order? How can we prevent the mafia from backing each other up in their lies about following the order when they didn't?

It's an interesting idea, but probably better left for the later game, once we already have data to use to structure it.
~~~

Really, there's no reason not to use your vote this early. Because RVS.
~~~
I'm going to join the weak claim bandwagon and note that my role is passive as well.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2017, 08:41:30 am »

From the stranger ones I've seen, I get the impression that imagination of use is still practical even with the nonsensical ones. Depending on action-order, even the informing the dead one might be useful, in the right circumstances.

But I'm also glad I'm not lumbered with it.

Why the softclaim @_@ it reads like a softclaim to me! Soft as in it gives concrete ideas even if it's not specific O_O
Ah, being literal, but not literal enough. In that case, I claim specifically that I don't have the ability so commented upon. My positive claims will surely follow...

Mulling it lightly, evidently randomnesses in setup harms our regular knowhows. I'm not done analysing character options, placing my own function exactly. 'Til then, I'll probably just chatter until the first night unless someone has a better railroading method in mind. (Yeah, abducating responsibility, but wanted to at least check in.)
And 'railroading' is conversation, and voting-to-hammer.
Putting what I said another way: I will chatter until a better method, leading to railroading, in mind.

You didn't reply to my deckchairs post, but I'll forestall your future interest by saying that (thematically) it was just me in a funny mood. For certain values of funny. I've slept since. ;)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2017, 08:45:43 am »

Putting what I said another way: I will chatter until a better method, leading to railroading, in mind.
EBWOP, because that totally messed up in pre-editing: "...comes to mind".

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Procedurally Generated Mafia - Day 1!
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2017, 09:25:30 am »

WoooOooo alright. Game starts at my sleepytime :'(
TDS; everyone how are ya gonna treat the game with what seems to be 50% out of context content? How will you also see the day game? And how would you define "scum"; by the book 'scumtells' or otherwise?

Eh, it's a larger game so there's a lot of interaction. Roles are (mostly) random so you can't really get alignments from them. I'll probably be looking for the usual scumtells (which work pretty well unless I'm scum myself and there's no other scum to find).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2017, 09:47:59 am »

NJW2000:
Shakerag: How come you're so sure the chaos and festivity you're planning isn't likely to massively benefit the scumteam?
Fair enough, but I'm a gambling man and I'm gambling that town will get more fun stuff than scum.  If someone is willing to claim they're targeting someone (and who that someone is) then I can get my ho ho ho on.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38